Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Multiple Buyers. Who gets the RV?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Multiple Buyers. Who gets the RV?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/22 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I sold my Phaeton, I had one guy who bothered me every day wanting to see it, etc. I had posted on a Tiffin forum and asked the best way to determine the price. He apparently was trolling those forums and started bugging me before I even had it ready to sell.

When I finally did, he wanted to come see it. He did and ended up giving me $500 to hold it so he could have it inspected. So that happened and he made an offer and I accepted, verbally. That's when things started going downhill. He wanted me to bring it across the state to him and show him how everything worked. This would be his first RV and a 40' DP. Said I would have to teach him everything, including how to drive it.

In the meantime, I had a buyer from out of state who wanted to come look. He called multiple times and asked very good questions and finally decided he wanted to come look. I said okay. He also made arrangements before he came to wire the $$ in the event he liked it.

The first guy started jacking me around and as he was getting a loan, started re-negotiating terms, etc. Making demands on me, etc., that supposedly the lender was requesting. And his wife worked, so we had to have the closing when she could be there so he wanted me to drive the moho to him, etc. This was clearly not working. After being told I was being uncooperative, I sent him his money back and told him we were done. He didn't argue.

The second guy showed up a couple days later and after 45 minutes called his bank and wired the money. I spent that day going over systems with him. He wasn't new to RVing, but it was his first DP, so I helped him with everything I new. It helped that I was the only driver of our rig and I handled the leveling, etc. I knew how to run everything. He brought his tow bar so he could tow his car. Mine needed some adapters.

He had made reservations at our local campground and he stayed there for 2 days to acclimate himself to the coach. I helped him with as much as he needed. He was a very nice man and he is a happy camper.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/22 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have nothing till the money is in your account. First one with the money has it.

Have heard the "I'll get back to you" line so many times. Don't pay it any attention anymore.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/22 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patbrown24 wrote:

We had a potential buyer of our RV call yesterday and then look at/drive the rig today. He indicated he was interested but had to discuss with wife. They live less than an hour away.

We have another buyer who contacted us over a week ago when we were out of town. We told him when we get back we'll contact him and he plans on coming tomorrow. He lives about 4 hours away.

Both individuals know we have someone else interested.

If the local buyer should call and make an offer after the buyer who is 4 hours away has left to come to us, how should we handle the situation? First one to make an offer? First one where we have deposit in hand? Should we have a bidding war?

As OP stated, he told 4 hour away guy he would contact him when they return and the guy 4 hours away plans on coming tomorrow (which is today).

If local guy makes an offer, I believe OP still owes 4 hour guy a shot, especially since the scenario he paints is 4 hour guy is on his way. He promised him a chance to look at it, so he should honor his promise.

If local buyer makes an offer for full price, I would explain the situation to local buyer, and show him Im an honest guy, and if the roles were reversed, I would treat him in the same manner. Most people would appreciate that.

If local buyer makes offer anything less than full price, I'd tell him another guy is on the way, and I owe him the look.

Once 4 hour guy gets there, I would tell him I have an offer, and whether it was full price or less (not what the actual offer is if less). At that point, whoever negotiates the best deal gets it, in my opinion.

That way, local guy gets a shot. 4 hour guy gets a shot. And if it ends up a bidding war, so be it.

I still disagree that first one with cash gets it, at least in this scenario. OP made a promise to 4 hour guy. That should be honored in my opinion (and in the opinion of some others here).

ScottieMom - I remember your posting about your situation. I think you handled yours as best as it could be handled, albeit it was a royal PITA.

Will be interesting to see how this ends up and how OP handles it.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/22 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way to handle a distant buyer is to tell him on the front end that the first one there with money gets it. If it is not sold when he gets there, fine, but you won't hold it for him if money arrives first. Then, it is up to him to get there first.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/22 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

To be fair, I agree with Crowe.

Absolutely , first call gets first shot , If second call really wants it tell him he is second in line if the first bails , it's his . Whats to lose ,and it's the honest way .

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/22 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've done outside technical sales for 15+ years.

First sales mistake. To agree with any potential buyer terms without the buyer physically present. Initially, the fact that they are present means EVERYTHING. The words to use in the ad or on the phone/online are, "The vehicle will be sold "as is, on a first come first served basis." IME, this wording often (not always) discourages Lookie Lous, scammers, trolls, etc., who just want to waste your time and complicate your life.

Describe the vehicle, where it is, when it can be seen, how much you want for it, and your terms of payment. Then shut up. The ball is now in the buyers court. You haven't lied, you haven't promised potential buyers ANYTHING other than the current availability/condition of the vehicle. See what happens next.

Chum lee

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/22 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree the guy 4 hrs away gets the first shot. If your not good on your word your not good for anything else. Besides, both people know that there is another person interested. If the guy 4 hours away doesn't want it you still got the other local guy who does.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/22 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

I agree the guy 4 hrs away gets the first shot. If your not good on your word your not good for anything else. Besides, both people know that there is another person interested. If the guy 4 hours away doesn't want it you still got the other local guy who does.

Agree.

As long as you represented what you’re selling accurately, most people willing to drive 4 hours are serious buyers. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you like to drive 4 hours to have “cash talks” buy it out from under you?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/22 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Disagree that money talks. You owe the first person you spoke to (the one 4 hours away) first shot as you made him a promise you'd let him see it when you got back. Let the 2nd guy take a look but with the understanding the other guy is going to look at it as well, assuming he can get there in a reasonable time frame. If the two of them looked at the same time I'd agree money talks. You made a promise and a man is only as good as his word.

Depends on specifically what the OP stated.

Unless the OP specifically stated he would hold the unit and give first dibs, there is no obligation to not take the first person that shows up with cash...in general.

Assuming it's a day or two in advance, I would call the POTENTIAL buyer and tell him someone else is coming to look at the unit. He can either move up his schedule to get there and see it sooner or transfer a non-refundable cash deposit to hold it...or he can show up and if it isn't sold, he can look at it and decide..but first one to show up with cash wins.

Now if it's 2hours from the agreed showing and you get an offer, the POTENTIAL buyer has put in time and money into seeing the unit based on your information, so telling a cash in hand buyer that you have someone coming in a couple hours would be the right thing to do.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/22 03:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When selling I take names and numbers in order. In this scenario the 4 hour guy should get the first shot because he was the first caller.
If first guys walks I call the second guy and so on.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Multiple Buyers. Who gets the RV?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.