Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Rivian Electric Truck takes on the Ike Gauntlet
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rivian Electric Truck takes on the Ike Gauntlet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/22 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Even at 88% coal produced electricity (as in WV) EVs have 22% lower annual emissions than ICEs. Does this mean a coal fired plant is cleaner than an ICE?[emoticon]. Maybe that means it’s easier to scrub the emissions from a stationary source than a mobile ICE.

In UT (where coal produces 61% of the electricity) EVs produce 37% less than ICEs annually.

What you see coming out of the chimney of a coal fired electric plant is 100% steam. 100%. So I'd have t say it is pretty clean.

And how much in road taxes are the people who drive electric cars paying??

Why am I paving the way for them?

Once again, they are putting the cart before the horse. We do not have the ability to charge the 276 million vehicles here in the US that they want to replace with electric cars.

Back to my CA comment. They are pushing electric vehicles bad and they can't even keep the lights on at Motel 6.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/22 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"For his use, the 95cc+ ported smoky stinky 2-stroke work wonders"

That simply is a Barbra Streisand statement!!! Modern 2 stroke engines burn very clean. Especially if they use 100-1 AMZ/OIL 2 cycle oil like I do. Simply no smell or smoke.

But hey if your vehicle doesn't emit them it must be clean and green right??????

Going way off topic, but - if your PORTED large CC saw is not smoking, you're running too lean. Especially production falling where you're burying your blade into 30+" wood all day long. Or milling.

Every saw, and I mean EVERY, is tuned too lean from factory for good power and lifespan, due to EPA this and that. Stihl MS500i is the possible exception, being fuel injected.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/22 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

What you see coming out of the chimney of a coal fired electric plant is 100% steam. 100%. So I'd have t say it is pretty clean.

Since CO2 is not visible you can’t see the emissions (from fossil fuel generation plants or ICEs).

* This post was edited 02/03/22 02:54pm by BCSnob *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/22 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/coal/coal-and-the-environment.php

Emissions from burning coal
Several principal emissions result from coal combustion:

Sulfur dioxide (SO2), which contributes to acid rain and respiratory illnesses
Nitrogen oxides (NOx), which contribute to smog and respiratory illnesses
Particulates, which contribute to smog, haze, and respiratory illnesses and lung disease
Carbon dioxide (CO2), which is the primary greenhouse gas produced from burning fossil fuels (coal, oil, and natural gas)
Mercury and other heavy metals, which have been linked to both neurological and developmental damage in humans and other animals
Fly ash and bottom ash, which are residues created when power plants burn coal
In the past, fly ash was released into the air through the smokestack, but laws now require that most emissions of fly ash be captured by pollution control devices. In the United States, fly ash and bottom ash are generally stored near power plants or placed in landfills. Pollution leaching from coal ash storage and landfills into groundwater and several large impoundments of coal ash that ruptured are environmental concerns.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/22 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Why am I paving the way for them?
https://www.myev.com/research/interestin........ge-extra-fees-to-own-an-electric-vehicle

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/22 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Once again, they are putting the cart before the horse. We do not have the ability to charge the 276 million vehicles here in the US that they want to replace with electric cars.
https://www.virta.global/blog/myth-buste........ic-vehicles-will-overload-the-power-grid

Fact: If 80% of all passenger cars become electric, this would lead to a total increase of 10-15% in electricity consumption.

So far, the market entry of EVs has been very predictable and the electric grid is constantly being developed in parallel. Current EV market trends show low to moderate energy uptake rates.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/22 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Back to my CA comment. They are pushing electric vehicles bad and they can't even keep the lights on at Motel 6.
Actually California is ranked 19th in the country. Far from last.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/infrastructure/energy

BTW UT is 24th [emoticon]

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/22 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

This admirable concept has been badly broken for decades before the advent of modern hybrids and EVs. I doubt charging EV and hybrids by the mile will fix this problem. The gas taxes are being used for other things besides roads and bridges and the tax rate is to low (even if nothing was diverted) to cover the maintenance & repair costs of the roads and bridges we have now. No one is willing to pay the fuel tax rate that would be needed (I can hear the chant now, no tax increases).

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/22 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

provide a link to this data. I think it is an error.

Arguably the Carbon Capture power plan in Estevan is the cleanest in the world.

"In 2015, internal documents from SaskPower revealed that there were "serious design issues" in the carbon capture system, resulting in regular breakdowns and maintenance problems that led the unit to only be operational 40% of the time. SNC-Lavalin had been contracted to engineer, procure, and build the facility, and the documents asserted that it "has neither the will or the ability to fix some of these fundamental flaws"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_Dam_Power_Station

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/22 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s probably correct to say what is visible in the exhaust is water droplets (condensing water vapor) since greenhouse gases are invisible over the temperature ranges around power plants. Using this to argue the exhaust is 100% clean is flawed and easily verified as incorrect.

EPA: Facility Level Comparisons
Quote:

The first three quarters of 2021 show significant changes compared to the first three quarters 2020 data:

10 percent increase for NOX
30 percent increase for SO2
10 percent increase for CO2
19 percent increase for Hg
The increases in emissions are due primarily to changes in the mix of fossil fuel-fired electricity generation. The first three quarters of 2021 showed a total fossil generation increase of 5 percent compared to the first three quarters of 2020. There was a 23 percent increase in coal generation and a 6 percent decrease in natural gas generation, which resulted in significant emissions increases from the same time period last year.

This link is to lists of the emissions from every coal fired plant.
Coal-fired Characteristics and Controls: 2020

* This post was edited 02/03/22 04:56pm by BCSnob *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rivian Electric Truck takes on the Ike Gauntlet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.