cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting search for 20 year old Lux coach. Have questions

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will be looking for a rig in 2023 or 2024. I have begun the search of luxury coaches in the 2000-2008 years. After that I think they are getting above what I want to spend. I am keeping my eye on Beaver, Foretravel, American Coach, Nemar, Monoco, etc. I have been searching forums and reading a lot. The question of roofs came up as I just got down from my current Lance maintaining the seams around the items sticking through the roof.
I am wondering about the coach roofs and the chance of leaks. I understand the Eagle from American Coach had a fiberglass roof. Are there others that may have a fiberglass roof? Or maybe others that have a roof that I dont have to worry about leaking.
I am used to truck campers and 5the wheels. So other than the old Winnebago Chief I owned for 1 season, I am new to the Class A.

Thanks,
Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD
16 REPLIES 16

wborst
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 Newmar Mountain Aire that had a fiberglass roof. It has been trouble free.
Brenda, Bill
Our little dog Madison has crossed the Rainbow Bridge
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire 40ft. Spartan chassis
400 hp Cummins ISL

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
MN Ben wrote:
FunTwoDrv wrote:
The others have covered the roof subject so all I can contribute is to be aware of bulkhead separation on the Foretravel units of that era.

I have been watching videos from AZ Expert as previously mentioned. When you mention "bulkhead" I am assuming you are talking about the front cap and the rear cap.

Ben

NOPE.

Bulkheads on a Foretravel are the junction of the front sub-frame and "semi-monocoque" center section of coach AND rear subframe and center section of the coach.

Rust from salt on the roads or water leak can weaken the box beams at the front and back of the center section. Not difficult to check and lots of information on repairs if it is an issue.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:
The others have covered the roof subject so all I can contribute is to be aware of bulkhead separation on the Foretravel units of that era.

I have been watching videos from AZ Expert as previously mentioned. When you mention "bulkhead" I am assuming you are talking about the front cap and the rear cap.

Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I appreciate your responses.
2006 F350 Dually PSD

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 17 years with our 04 Monaco Dynasty in the family, I never had to reseal anything. I’d say the same is true about our 08 HR Navigator although I’ve only owned 3 years and I did have to replace a cracked skylight. A rig with a rubber roof is a good indication that it’s NOT a “Lux coach”.

In the years you’re looking only 4 manufacturers used a chassis with 10 airbags…Prevost, Newell, Foretravel, & Monaco/Braver/HR, yes, you want a rig with a tag axle. So, my list of MUST haves are:
10 airbags and 500+ HP… be wary of the Cummins ISX engines.
Aqua Hot heating
Residential refrigerator… best mod was getting rid of a NoCold 1200.
Girrard awnings
Air leveling and maybe jacks to stabilize but no jacks not a deal breaker.
And now the nice items:
No window over the head of the bed
A PSW inverter
Enough solar to keep the batteries up while in storage
Sliding trays in 2 of the basement bays.
AGM or Lithium house batteries less than 3 years old
Tires less than 3 years old too
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Keep Prevost in your sights! A 20 year old Prevost, well cared for, will give you a great, safe, dependable coach which will still have excellent resale value down the road should you change your mind or only have short term plans. I just bought a 1998 Country Coach Prevost last year and live in it and travel with it full time. Over 10,000 miles since purchase (just rolled over 100,000 miles) without issue.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I would add Country Coach to your list
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you everyone for your replies. I truly appreciate the candor and taking the time to share your knowledge. This will help our in decision.
2006 F350 Dually PSD

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered our 2002 DSDP and I spoke to a Newmar rep and he told us to order the TPO roof and not fiberglass. We never have had a problem.

MN Ben wrote:
My wife and I will be looking for a rig in 2023 or 2024. I have begun the search of luxury coaches in the 2000-2008 years. After that I think they are getting above what I want to spend. I am keeping my eye on Beaver, Foretravel, American Coach, Nemar, Monoco, etc. I have been searching forums and reading a lot. The question of roofs came up as I just got down from my current Lance maintaining the seams around the items sticking through the roof.
I am wondering about the coach roofs and the chance of leaks. I understand the Eagle from American Coach had a fiberglass roof. Are there others that may have a fiberglass roof? Or maybe others that have a roof that I dont have to worry about leaking.
I am used to truck campers and 5the wheels. So other than the old Winnebago Chief I owned for 1 season, I am new to the Class A.

Thanks,
Ben
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you are interested in a MHs that old, your inspection needs to be very complete and detailed...house and drivetrain.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Other than condition of powertrain and chassis, roofs are a major concern when shopping for used class A rigs. We went through this about a year ago after an exhaustive search into the class A world, seen and drove over 30 rigs to figure out which chassis and powertrain would suit our needs best. Truthfully, I was not as concerned about the build or materials used for the roof, moreover was condition and general upkeep on seams and seals around roof protrusions.

To that point, I did not actually know which kind of roof our current class A had, just knew it was properly sealed after walking atop during personal inspection prior to purchase. Turns out our Monaco was built with a metal roof, would not have mattered if it was made from other materials to us, again I was looking for condition and upkeep. It was in immaculate condition for it's age, prior owners were older (78 & 84) and had all maintenance and upkeep done professionally.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
As you are looking for coaches that are 15-22 years old, I'd be more concerned with overall condition and care of the coach than roof material. All roofs, regardless of material, have holes in them to allow for vents, AC's, Antennae's, sky lights and seams. Usually leaks develop around those areas and not failures of the material itself - sans actual damage. Any coach you buy of that age will require a very thorough inspection by someone qualified and if it checks out, the roof material shouldn't be a deal breaker. Roof materials all have their plusses and minuses. Sure fiberglass roofs are great but they aren't without their own share of failures. Fiberglass can develop cracks - especially after 20 years and are exponentially more expensive to fix or replace than a Rubber or TPO roof. And there are countless TPO, Rubber roofs out there that are 20+ years old with no issues.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
In the era you are researching, yes, the American Coach Eagle has a fiberglass roof. Also in that era, the American Coach Dream did too. I have a 2000 American Coach Tradition which is one step below the Dream, and we have a rubber roof (Which is in good condition after 22 years with lots of care) We love our Tradition after over 130000 miles.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog