Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Starting search for 20 year old Lux coach. Have questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Starting search for 20 year old Lux coach. Have questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
MN Ben

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/22 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I will be looking for a rig in 2023 or 2024. I have begun the search of luxury coaches in the 2000-2008 years. After that I think they are getting above what I want to spend. I am keeping my eye on Beaver, Foretravel, American Coach, Nemar, Monoco, etc. I have been searching forums and reading a lot. The question of roofs came up as I just got down from my current Lance maintaining the seams around the items sticking through the roof.
I am wondering about the coach roofs and the chance of leaks. I understand the Eagle from American Coach had a fiberglass roof. Are there others that may have a fiberglass roof? Or maybe others that have a roof that I dont have to worry about leaking.
I am used to truck campers and 5the wheels. So other than the old Winnebago Chief I owned for 1 season, I am new to the Class A.

Thanks,
Ben

2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/22 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prevost and Newell metal, but you could have damage, something you need to check. There is always fiberglass connecting to this which almost always will have cracks due to stress. You also might run into Rubber.

diplomatdon

Blaine, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/22 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would recommend watching a you tube channel called AZ expert. He inspects and repairs Rv's in the Phoenix area. You are wise to look for fiberglass roofs. I have already learned a lot about roofs from him. Monaco and there coaches HR, Beaver etc have fiberglass or metal roofs. Good luck in your search. Don.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/22 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the era you are researching, yes, the American Coach Eagle has a fiberglass roof. Also in that era, the American Coach Dream did too. I have a 2000 American Coach Tradition which is one step below the Dream, and we have a rubber roof (Which is in good condition after 22 years with lots of care) We love our Tradition after over 130000 miles.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/22 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you are looking for coaches that are 15-22 years old, I'd be more concerned with overall condition and care of the coach than roof material. All roofs, regardless of material, have holes in them to allow for vents, AC's, Antennae's, sky lights and seams. Usually leaks develop around those areas and not failures of the material itself - sans actual damage. Any coach you buy of that age will require a very thorough inspection by someone qualified and if it checks out, the roof material shouldn't be a deal breaker. Roof materials all have their plusses and minuses. Sure fiberglass roofs are great but they aren't without their own share of failures. Fiberglass can develop cracks - especially after 20 years and are exponentially more expensive to fix or replace than a Rubber or TPO roof. And there are countless TPO, Rubber roofs out there that are 20+ years old with no issues.

* This post was last edited 02/01/22 12:16pm by way2roll *   View edit history

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/22 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other than condition of powertrain and chassis, roofs are a major concern when shopping for used class A rigs. We went through this about a year ago after an exhaustive search into the class A world, seen and drove over 30 rigs to figure out which chassis and powertrain would suit our needs best. Truthfully, I was not as concerned about the build or materials used for the roof, moreover was condition and general upkeep on seams and seals around roof protrusions.

To that point, I did not actually know which kind of roof our current class A had, just knew it was properly sealed after walking atop during personal inspection prior to purchase. Turns out our Monaco was built with a metal roof, would not have mattered if it was made from other materials to us, again I was looking for condition and upkeep. It was in immaculate condition for it's age, prior owners were older (78 & 84) and had all maintenance and upkeep done professionally.

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/22 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are interested in a MHs that old, your inspection needs to be very complete and detailed...house and drivetrain.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/22 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ordered our 2002 DSDP and I spoke to a Newmar rep and he told us to order the TPO roof and not fiberglass. We never have had a problem.

MN Ben wrote:

My wife and I will be looking for a rig in 2023 or 2024. I have begun the search of luxury coaches in the 2000-2008 years. After that I think they are getting above what I want to spend. I am keeping my eye on Beaver, Foretravel, American Coach, Nemar, Monoco, etc. I have been searching forums and reading a lot. The question of roofs came up as I just got down from my current Lance maintaining the seams around the items sticking through the roof.
I am wondering about the coach roofs and the chance of leaks. I understand the Eagle from American Coach had a fiberglass roof. Are there others that may have a fiberglass roof? Or maybe others that have a roof that I dont have to worry about leaking.
I am used to truck campers and 5the wheels. So other than the old Winnebago Chief I owned for 1 season, I am new to the Class A.

Thanks,
Ben

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

MN Ben

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/22 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks you everyone for your replies. I truly appreciate the candor and taking the time to share your knowledge. This will help our in decision.

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/22 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would add Country Coach to your list

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Starting search for 20 year old Lux coach. Have questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.