cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OK to FL

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip from SW OK to St. Augustine, FL for a wedding.
Question on some of the towns we are considering looking at to visit along the way. Leaving in August ending up Sept. 20th St. Aug.
Memphis,TN, Nashville, TN. Percy Priest COE, Dandridge, TN., Wytheville, VA., Boydton, VA Longwood Park COE, Norfolk,VA possible Sea Mist RV Cg.,
Myrtle Beach, SC Huntington Beach SPK, Savannah, GA Red Gate Campground,
Jacksonville, FL Pe4lican Roost Campiground (Military). St. Augustine, FL Stagecoach RV. this is the only one booked. Then we need to find a cg. in between St. Augustine and Miami to meet someone. Then we will work our way home. No kids, one small dog. Thanks

We have been to the first couple of CP's. Are there any towns along the way that are a must see or better to stay at. Also things to see along the way. We are not into the big tourist attractions. We are planning to see the Wright Brothers area. Thanks Deb
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!
5 REPLIES 5

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone we are checking all the suggestions out. We have stayed at Ft. Fisher and Percy Priest before. Nice places. We are going to try and stay at some of the military bases if we can get them booked. If anyone has any towns or sites that are must see, let us know. Thanks back to planning.
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Manatee Springs, and Rainbow Springs State Parks in Central Florida are worth the stop. If you haven't visited some of the springs down there, they are amazing. They are inland, so they may not work if you want to stay coastal.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
For Memphis I would stay at Tom Sawyer's RV Park in West Memphis, right on the Mississippi River and very relaxing. For Percy Priest try to stay in site 41 of the Seven Points COE - all of the lakefront sites are nice but 41 is huge and very nice - of course, once the six months window opens you will need to be online to nab one of them, especially on a weekend! I assume you will be staying at Anchor Down in Dandridge.

Virginia is going to be a bit out of your way. Little Creek is a nice military park in Virginia Beach. In Savannah, Skidaway Island State Park is one of our favorites though Creek Fire RV Resort is also very nice. You should also enjoy Pelican Bay at Mayport if you can get in. Jacksonville doesn't have a lot of choices though Pecan Park right off I-95 just north of the airport and there is also Flamingo Lake is a few miles west of Jax just off I-295. Stagecoach in St. Augustine is also a good choice - a good distance from the beach but very close to the outlet shopping centers.

It sounds like a very nice trip - just make sure you get your reservations as soon as possible!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure of any Campgrounds between St Augustine & Miami.. but I can say do not stay at the KOA in Ft Pierce Fl..
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Boydton Va, Longwood park, When? The COE shuts down in October on this lake.
NC and Va state parks are open longer.
If doing Kill Devil Hills for the Wright Memorial, come up from Fl, and go to Okracoke NC, travel there is by ferry, and reasonable in cost or free depending on the route. Okracoke is a unique and quirky town, and everything can be seen in 2 days with free shuttle services.

Since you say military, visit Okracoke, take the pay ferry south to swans quarter and continue on south to Camp LeJune NC and even the AF facilities at Fort Fisher, nice quiet small coastal CG.

If you haven't seen it there is a website dedicated to Military campgrounds which you may find helpful, in particular near Jacksonville, and Savannah.