cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winnebago Destination

Sargehut234
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at an older model Winnebago gas pusher.
Any pros or con welcome.
Thank you SARGE.
12 REPLIES 12

Sargehut234
Explorer
Explorer
Dear wife and I did the PDI last Friday and SHE accepted the floor plan and condition. We were there to pick it up but (don't get ahead of me now)there
is a problem with the generator.
We will be going back to pick it next week.(Yea Right LOL)
I want to thank all of you for your input!!
SARGE
I havan't paid for it yet so they might actually fix it!!

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
Up&DownDeCoast wrote:
These were built on the Workhorse UFO Chassis with a gas or diesel engine. There are not a lot of them around. Most were built with a Cummins diesel. Not a lot of gassers were ever made. Most probably due to the 2008 recession which ran many manufacturers out of business and shrunk the model line ups of the remaining builders of the time. Replacement parts for this chassis may be very hard to find. Not to mention finding someone experienced to make repairs.

If your primary concern is the noise from the front mounted engine, there is no comparison between a 70's era front engine gasser and one built beyond 2000. They are much quieter the the older models. Yes, still louder than a pusher but my wife and I can talk at a normal voice level while cruising down the road.

I should note that the diesel model was actually on a Freightliner Chassis. The gasser was a Workhorse. Both were very similar in design and structure.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
Sargehut234 wrote:
Thank you Up&DownDeCoast:
Would happen to know where the Destination model fell into the Winnebago line?

With the diesel I'd say it was entry level or even below that as it relates to their other diesel pushers. While it was a pusher, it had no air bags, just leaf springs and no air brakes. Basically a gasser chassis with a small diesel engine in the back.

With the gasser I'd say close to the Adventurer which was their top of the line gasser at the time. It's interior decor was similar or perhaps a step below that. I remember my wife and I liked the floor plans.

However, I thought a 38ft coach pulling a toad was at the very edge of what a 340hp gas engine with 440ftlbs of torque could handle.
David and Wendy
2021 Honda CR-V

Sargehut234
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Up&DownDeCoast:
Would happen to know where the Destination model fell into the Winnebago line?

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
These were built on the Workhorse UFO Chassis with a gas or diesel engine. There are not a lot of them around. Most were built with a Cummins diesel. Not a lot of gassers were ever made. Most probably due to the 2008 recession which ran many manufacturers out of business and shrunk the model line ups of the remaining builders of the time. Replacement parts for this chassis may be very hard to find. Not to mention finding someone experienced to make repairs.

If your primary concern is the noise from the front mounted engine, there is no comparison between a 70's era front engine gasser and one built beyond 2000. They are much quieter the the older models. Yes, still louder than a pusher but my wife and I can talk at a normal voice level while cruising down the road.
David and Wendy
2021 Honda CR-V

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have always been intrigued with rear engine gas motorhomes. Seams engine service may be easier and putting the heat behind you while driving would be a plus. If the engine revs loudly, at least you would be 30 feet away from the noise and a flat floor up front is a plus.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Sargehut234
Explorer
Explorer
The unit were looking at is a 2008 Winnebago Destination 38G.
Its on a workhorse chassis with the 8.1L GM.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sargehut234,

Gas pushers are sort of a rare beast. Do you have more info on which year and model you're interested in?

If it's an older rear engine rig you're looking for, why not just go with a DP?

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
They are still noisy, Sarge.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sargehut234
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda looking on thoughts of rear engine veres front.
We had a front eng. in the 70's and it was noisey.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Who the heck cares about MPG! This is the ABSOLUTE LAST (if ever) consideration when looking to purchase an RV. The difference of an extra 1 or 4 MPG is not going to affect the overall cost of ownership by any significant amount.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
MPG.