cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

looking for cheaper RV insurance

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
It is coming up on renewal time. Currently have National General Rv insurance. Any recommendations for a less costly company? No, I do not want to go without. Last year premium was 358, haven't got renewal notice yet for this year.
9 REPLIES 9

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:
When we had our last travel trailer it was insured with GEICO. Don't know if GEICO was cheapest, but their policy features were superior to State Farm, who insured our fifth wheel for a lot more.GEICO's policy was set up like a homeowner's policy.

Donโ€™t know how State Farm compares on price, but can say they are great when it comes time to pay. Have had SF on home, vehicles, and RV for over 30 years, and quite a number of claims. Always paid fast without question including $24,000+ on hail storm damage to home, $14,000+ on tail swing vs steel column on RV, and large claim on truck due to uninsured motorist hitting me.

I agree. They paid out right away with my motorhome. And they worked with me to keep it under the threshold for being totaled. Having spent a full year trying to get paid by my homeowner's (not State Farm) for the same incident, I can say that how they handle you during a claim is far more important than saving a few bucks.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
thomasmnile wrote:
When we had our last travel trailer it was insured with GEICO. Don't know if GEICO was cheapest, but their policy features were superior to State Farm, who insured our fifth wheel for a lot more.GEICO's policy was set up like a homeowner's policy.

Donโ€™t know how State Farm compares on price, but can say they are great when it comes time to pay. Have had SF on home, vehicles, and RV for over 30 years, and quite a number of claims. Always paid fast without question including $24,000+ on hail storm damage to home, $14,000+ on tail swing vs steel column on RV, and large claim on truck due to uninsured motorist hitting me.

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
GEICO came in with a better price for us.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't know if it is cheaper or not, but I have Farmer's Insurance of NC.

Bedlam
My insurance company always asks how they are doing. I respond that I never had a claim with them, so I only know they are timely at collecting the premium. I tell them to ask me again after I submit a claim.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
Do a lot of research on how well a company pays in case of damage. Cheap does not always mean good. Slow pay or denial of claim could really be an issue.

X2. Paying less is no good if they screw you over when it's time for them to pay.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Do a lot of research on how well a company pays in case of damage. Cheap does not always mean good. Slow pay or denial of claim could really be an issue.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really? You have a '21 Sirus and are complaining about $358/year?