Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Rivian vs Tundra Tow Test
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rivian vs Tundra Tow Test

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/22 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

cost of fuel was?

Probably a $10,000-15,000 upcharge for the Rivan plus $20-30 for a fast charger if you are actually trying to cover miles like a typical RV user.

Assuming around 12 gallons used, around $35-40 for the gas truck.

Keep in mind that's 2000lb teardrop trailer...just about the best case scenario for RV towing. Move up to a 3000lb standard height trailer and expect the EV to run out of juice before the test is complete.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ktosv

Grand Rapids, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/22 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

The big difference, plain and simple, is that I can actually go out and BUY a Tundra. That being said, IMO, no contest who the winner is.

Is the reason you can’t go buy a Rivian because you didn’t put a deposit down and aren’t in line to get one? Or are you saying that they aren’t being produced or aren’t on sale?

The last time I checked, there isn’t a single OEM that runs a charity just buying parts from suppliers. We have been supplying thousands of parts per month for multiple months and production is steadily increasing.

Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/22 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktosv wrote:

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

The big difference, plain and simple, is that I can actually go out and BUY a Tundra. That being said, IMO, no contest who the winner is.

Is the reason you can’t go buy a Rivian because you didn’t put a deposit down and aren’t in line to get one? Or are you saying that they aren’t being produced or aren’t on sale?

The last time I checked, there isn’t a single OEM that runs a charity just buying parts from suppliers. We have been supplying thousands of parts per month for multiple months and production is steadily increasing.

Apparently nothing available until 2023. I can't help it if they produce them a lot slower than they produce Tundra's. And with no track record, and no ability so touch one or drive one, I choose not to commit to an unknown. Maybe it's just me, but that's the way I feel.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/22 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No one even mentioned that you can always make your own EV fuel with solar on the roof of your house. Pretty hard to drill an oil well and put up a refinery in your back yard.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/22 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with most of these “discussions” is that the comparison is being made on just the towing capabilities when the reality is very few vehicles are being purchased as just a tow vehicle. Most, especially 1/2 ton PUs, are being purchased because they can “also tow”. What percentage of mileage will a 1/2 ton PU be used as a tow vehicle? How do these two 1/2 tons compare in real world uses (main uses plus percentage of time “also towing”)? What percentage of total mileage used for towing is needed for the Tundra (13mpg city/17mpg highway) to “win” vs the Rivian (73mpg/66mpg equivalent)?

* This post was edited 02/07/22 07:08am by BCSnob *

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/22 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it seems to me that the big stumbling block for EVs is the lack of a practical battery of sufficient capacity, quick charging, won't catch on fire, etc., etc.
so what are the engineering geniuses doing to solve that issue?
bumpy

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/22 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ICEs don’t catch on fire?

[image]
Gas vs. Electric Car Fires 2021 Findings

Purdue U: faster charging with cooled cables

IMO the current stumbling blocks are the lack of charging infrastructure, the charging time, and battery capacity (in that order).

* This post was edited 02/07/22 07:27am by BCSnob *

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/22 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

IMO the current stumbling blocks are the lack of charging infrastructure, the charging time, and battery capacity (in that order).

yep, and how many years are they going to take before getting a practical battery?
bumpy

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/22 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If recharging took about the same time as filling a 26gal tank, would batteries need to provide more than 200miles towing (26gal x 8mpg) or 400miles not towing (26gal x 16mpg) to be competitive with typical ICE 1/2ton PUs?

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/22 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

For reliability the horse was the clear winner in the horseless carriages’ early days.

Right now, convincing RV'ers to go EV, is like convincing the farmer in 1905 to ditch his team and heavy wagon, for a hand assembled motor carriage to haul grain to the local mercantile.

Wait a couple decades till the Model T truck is mass produced, and gas stations become common. We'll all naturally convert when the time is right.

Just like farmers did when truck running costs naturally became lower than feed and vet bills.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rivian vs Tundra Tow Test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.