Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best campground resources for big rigs

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

We are considering a 40-45ft 5fer.
Can anyone recommend a good resource to get campground information etc for large rigs?

Also, I know we may have to get creative when finding spots last minute. Is there a good resource for boondocking sites that are big rig friendly? I would like to have a source for backup plans in case campsites aren't the right size.

Thank you

MC
5 REPLIES 5

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am in the process of planning a five month MD to Newfoundland trip. We are 54'LOA, as far as the ferry to Newfoundland is concerned, but LOA also makes a difference to some of the places being looked at to spend a night. Most notably Harvest Hosts look at LOA, not just trailer length.

The devil is in the details. Mostly private parks will cram anything in but state parks, provincial parks, even COEs can have length limits & limited sites for large rigs. No fun at all showing up to a chosen CG for the night only to be told that your rig is too big.

At a 34'trailer length we have only been turned away a few times in 14 years & hundreds of CGs across the country however we have been the longest unit there at many of those CGs, too long to use the site without overhanging the back of it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
2 great resources.
KOA.com
GoodSam.com, "Find a Park"
2010 Suncruiser

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
At one time I was over 70ft total and traveled all over the country and don't ever remember not being able to find a site. BUT--I don't boon dock, BLM, etc either. I am now around 56ft and last trips out I hit 2 campgrounds in FL, came home,then spent a week in Myrtle Beach, then back to FL for another week. No reservations and no trouble finding a spot. But that is a DP pulling a trailer.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Forest Maps app to find a USFS and some BLM campgrounds. Then online to determine maximum allowed lengthโ€ฆbut Veebyesโ€™ comments about MH low clearance and ground support are well considered.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The are loads of search sites that allow you to filter for size & other CG specs though generally speaking you are looking at places that have 'resort' tagged onto the end of the name & they cost $$$$.

Boondocking is another problem. Not many dry camping areas that can handle a low slung 45' unit plus the consideration of ground support. Truck stops & Walmart.

Size matters. If you are hoping to get to some of those idyllic places in the brochures you might consider coming down in size. Mid 30s or less opens up whole new possibilities.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995