cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fast Gun info?

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up a used set of Fast Guns last summer. So had those when we found our new to use camper. There the Vintage style.

But the Eagle cap came with the new style Fast Guns. Looks to be almost new. The dark colored ones.

So wondering if the old style would be better then the new style? Being I have both, sure can test them both out.
But not sure on the ones to keep.
I know lucky to have a set, then find myself with 2 sets.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans
6 REPLIES 6

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I too have the older style, You only have to get your finger(s) pinched or twisted once when removing then you'll know better.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I like the vintage style better. No edges to dig in to your fingers (on the handles).

They got redesigned probably as a way to reduce the manufacturing cost.

The name "fast-gun" came from the fact that the handle was like what an old lever action rifle had.

Younger folk didn't understand the concept of "putting your hand in the loop" like you do when chambering a round in a lever action rifle. Instead, they'd grab the whole handle and then smash their fingers. Maybe that's why they got redesigned.
Bob

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! I'm going to run both sets for a few weeks each. Then see what I like the best.
As for removing to fuel, the new Ram. Thats not an issue, Dually fender has fuel cap more towards the middle. Glad of that and nice to fuel up that 50 gallon tank. Without having to remove the fast gun.
I also picked up a set of the fastgun locks. Guy sold them to me for $30. Looked new, he told me the price. So I was nice and bought those.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
We have the vintage with the looped handles. They are very handy. When gassing up I have to take the front one off to get access so instead of dropping it on the ground I just hang it from the loop on the handle on the rear Fastgun until I am finished with the pump. Also, when off the truck at a campground I started thinking if someone steals these I am in a hell of a mess. I use a lock for each pair to hang them from the loops on the campers tie-down bracket. This saves having to store them in the truck or camper. Two times I noticed that one of my Fastguns was swinging in the wind as I drove. It had disengaged at the bottom. Upon inspection when I took them apart there was an issue with two internal rod threads. Some were flat, just like you will find at the very bottom as the threading was finishing on the machine. Torklift immediately sent me two new internal rods. All good ever since. Great customer service.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My old style ones are almost 16 years old. What I see as the difference is handle. When mine are tight, it seems that I have to be careful to loosen them without getting my fingers hit by the handle. I don't know if the newer design would be better or not for that.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
The newer ones are supposed to be more ergonomic, but I like the old style better. Really, only the handles changed and the rest is the same.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD