Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Good Low cost Camping Map Books for The West?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Good Low cost Camping Map Books for The West?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/22 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use Benchmark atlases and google maps...works great.

Our Blog

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/22 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcason wrote:

We use Benchmark atlases and google maps...works great.

I have Benchmark maps and they are good but do not show campgrounds other than parks. The OP does not want to use electronics. So the GS book if it is still published is his only option.

Unfortunately the OP is just out of sync with the modern world. But good luck to him.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/22 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I thought I was stubborn having resisted getting a smart phone. Using it right now and the amount of info at your fingertips is unbelievable.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/22 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had a copy of this book for 20 years and still fall back on it at times.
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/moon-pacif........L2MQAvD_BwE#idiq=7192069&edition=8209821

I know nothing of this seller, it was just one of the first hits that came up.

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/22 04:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agesilaus
This is what OP asked for:
covered wagon wrote:

I would like to avoid electronic books and love actual paper books and maps if anyone knows a good resource for low cost camping spots along western routes. I like out of the way routes and stay off the common routes. Even spending extra 2 days getting somewhere is not a problem.

Thank you ever so much.

He didn't ask for campgrounds...just camping spots and that is what benchmark provides....BLM lands, national forest service lands, etc These ARE out of the way and many times you will have the place to yourselves. We always do a google maps search to further explore the spot before going there to see what we see (like campers in the zoom). Works great for us. This is the boondocking/dry camping category, not campgrounds. So I think I am spot on.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had great results using all the above and most all were free to me.

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/22 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last May, we went mostly across the U.S. before we found a Truckers Atlas at a truck stop. It seems that "maps" are so old school.
On the other hand, the new atlas we bought really didn't have much different than the 12 year old one we had.
I understand the need of the OP to have printed information.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/22 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been looking for a good paper/plastic Atlas for years, without much luck.

We carry an old Atlas that shows most routes, and most NPS, NFS, COE, and state parks - which is generally where we camp. It now lives as if it had a major highway accident - complete with taped up pages and small rips, a few missing pages. Not quite in a cast yet [emoticon] .

We use it as much as we can. But it forced Genie to learn more about her phone and mini-GPS on it while we travel. We supplement the map with searches on it, especially between destinations and looking for an overnight stop, sometimes using private CG's if no NP or SP nearby.

We haven't traveled much in the last eighteen months or so, but continue looking for a good national level camping Atlas. We like the size and feel of paper and a state-wide page instead of the pint-sized partial image on the phone. It's worked well for us over the years. We'll see what happens next trip out - wandering north to end in SC for family wedding in May ... Alot has changed since our last road trip of any distance.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/22 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us, the tiny little phone screens aren't really usable ... plus often phone memories aren't large enough to hold detailed wide area maps in case the phone can't connect to a cell tower at any particular place.

A laptop with a large memory holding, for instance, detailed maps of the entire Western U.S. - with the necessary GPS receiver plugged into one of it's USB ports - is the way to do it, IMHO.

* This post was edited 03/06/22 09:35pm by pnichols *

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/22 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

For us, the tiny little phone screens aren't really usable ... plus often phone memories aren't large enough to hold detailed wide area maps in case the phone can't connect to a cell tower at any particular place.

A laptop with a large memory holding, for instance, detailed maps of the entire Western U.S. - with the necessary GPS receiver plugged into one of it's USB ports - is the way to do it, IMHO.

While I agree that a laptop provides the most flexibility, a large iPad or other tablet will do much of the same at a lower cost and, depending on the model, already has the GPS built in.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Good Low cost Camping Map Books for The West?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.