Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Brophy Clamp-Ons and Aluminum Truck Beds?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Brophy Clamp-Ons and Aluminum Truck Beds?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before everyone tells me to buy frame-mounted tie down points - please understand that I drive "inventory" from our used-vehicle lot. I can have a nice truck for a month and then it gets sold :-(

Hubby owes me a 6-1/2' bed truck after selling my '19 Silverado Diesel - and I have suspected that Ford's aluminum bed rail will get dented by the clamp-on tie downs?

Is there anyone using them (without problems) with a late-model Ford truck?

My current camper is a Northstar 800, 8' slide-in pop-up. Probably 1200-ish lbs

Thanks!
Deb

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't use them with my 4000 lb TC, but I think they'll be fine for the use you are describing.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somehow, my camper seemed "big" until you said yours weighs 4k....LOL!
Thanks for the encouraging words!

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/22 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And 4k is skinny these days with the lance 1172's and huge Hosts [emoticon]

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/22 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the Brophy's with my Coachman Ranger. I think the weight loaded was probably 3500 pound. Once I figured them out I didn't have a problem with them. I had my Chevy Silverado dually so the weight was not a problem for the truck or the mounts for that matter. The rear mount touched the fender well of the dually tires. I was putting the foam strips that came with them on but it was still wearing away. What I did was I used 3M double sided tape and that worked perfectly. It didn't wear anymore, heat gun would take the tape right off. I also had a fabricated trailer mount of sorts that slid into the receiver and mounted to the underside of the camper with nuts and bolts, there were two mounted rings that I installed on the underside of the rear of the camper and it held the whole thing in place. The rear mount was a leftover from my dads 1966 Beeline TC that became my first truck camper. The mount looked like this, sorta.
[image]
We never had any trouble with the Brophy's. Good luck!

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/22 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oooh - clever idea to use the trailer hitch receiver! My camper rests on the tailgate (I wrap it with Crash Wrap to protect it from stone chips). So I take it that you would trust an aluminum truck bed with the clamp-ons?

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/22 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Oooh - clever idea to use the trailer hitch receiver! My camper rests on the tailgate (I wrap it with Crash Wrap to protect it from stone chips). So I take it that you would trust an aluminum truck bed with the clamp-ons?

Well I've never had an aluminum anything so I really couldn't say. I'm surprised there's not more interest in your thread. There's so many configurations on this forum that I'm sure that someone will comment.

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/22 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I guess if a really nice Ford becomes available - what's the worst that happens if the rails get dented? We put decorative bedrails on it when we're done with it?? :-)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Brophy Clamp-Ons and Aluminum Truck Beds?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.