cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do about fire damage

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a three year old diesel pusher. three months ago after we plugged into a outlet to charge the chassis batteries that had been going dead, we noticed smoke an hour or two later. I immediately unplugged the coach and grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the fire that was burning the rectangular tubs we had items stored in. It took six weeks to get a tow due to tight quarters. I finally was able to tow it backwards out by the receiver to the street where the tow rig could hook up. Our neighbors were understanding and helped all they could. It was towed to a Freightliner dealer and they took care of replacing the chassis portion of the repairs. On the trip back to our covered storage, the hose from the engine to the front of the coach that feeds the heater under the dash burst and flooded compartments with engine coolant. The engine was shut down by safety mechanisms due to the loss of fluid. Freightliner came the next morning and cut out the ruptured part of the hose and put in 14 gallons of coolant. I was then able to start it and more it into our spot. I asked the repair tech what he would do to get the rest of the repairs done and he said he would drive it to the nearest dealer. The brand dealer is 110 miles away so I asked him would he trust it to go that far and he said no. He then said why don't you take it to camping world which is close to our home. I told him I had read so many bad reviews that I would be concerned. With damage to the wiring harness, I don't think this is a job for the local small shop. So far, this has been extremely stressful with a few stories that would take to long to tell. The day of the fire is fresh in our minds and was traumatic and we don't know how much longer this will drag on. There are so many things that could happen to us far worse than this but nevertheless, it is a tough one when you are getting along in years. If those of you that have experienced a similar situation could share with us what you would do, we would be grateful for any advice. Would you chance the 110 mile drive to a factory dealer who's reviews are marginal and where you couldn't check on the progress? Or, would you go to Camping World and say your prayers? Could a small repair shop handle this? We would be grateful for any tips. kindest regards
20 REPLIES 20

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like if it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I can see we still don't know what make, model or year the coach is.
Those things are important to determine if the coach is even worth fixing.
Fire damage can be incredibly expensive and lengthy to repair correctly.

The OPs profile shows a 2004 Alpenlite Medinah 5th wheel trailer worth $32k. We know that's incorrect but ???

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would stay away from Camping World. They do not do engine work and second wouldn't trust them. I agree work with your insurance company. Once they assign a claim number you will be covered till it gets fixed. If within a certain frame time the same problem reappears your still covered.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
OP: All due respect, but you opened the insurance can of worms, with the statement regarding towing and the insurance company wasn't happy with the cost. Doesn't matter if they're happy. Insurance is a wager of sorts between the company and policyholder.
Your company lost the wager as evidenced by your claim. It's, business nothing personal. Sure, the company will do all they can to control costs, but their responsibility is to facilitate repair of your RV; It's what you're paying for. If that's not happening as it should, in a timely fashion, maybe it's time to buy a 1 hour consultation with an insurance attorney.

I agree, the insurance should be taking care of this, if they are not, get a lawyer!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
OP: All due respect, but you opened the insurance can of worms, with the statement regarding towing and the insurance company wasn't happy with the cost. Doesn't matter if they're happy. Insurance is a wager of sorts between the company and policyholder.
Your company lost the wager as evidenced by your claim. It's, business nothing personal. Sure, the company will do all they can to control costs, but their responsibility is to facilitate repair of your RV; It's what you're paying for. If that's not happening as it should, in a timely fashion, maybe it's time to buy a 1 hour consultation with an insurance attorney.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Must be something missing in this story---or maybe you should tell us what insurance you have. If you have it covered then they should cover it. Whole lot of this don't add up.

I sure hate to drag the insurance company through the mud. It is my local agent who dropped the ball. The people we deal with are taking care of the bills but have no idea of who is best capable of the repair when they are thousands of miles away. You make me sound like I am not honest so I will go to my other forum. Your 'things don't add up sentence is hurtful. We are private honest people and don't owe you any names or explanations. So far, I could write two chapters on tow companies alone and don't want to write pages of what we have been through and has transpired. We are still upset over the fire and damage to our coach and the way things have gone so far. Six weeks to get it moved 16 miles and I could write 16 pages.We just ask the names of good people that can help us repair out dream fo a motorhome. .

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Must be something missing in this story---or maybe you should tell us what insurance you have. If you have it covered then they should cover it. Whole lot of this don't add up.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I would go with the small local shop every time.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Or, would you go to Camping World and say your prayers? "

Only as an absolute LAST resort.

IF you have the rig at home... Check with on-site RV repair services (most campgrounds know of one) they may be willing to work "on site" And since their shop has wheels and an engine.. Just like your vacation home.. They are often less expensive since they are NOT responsible for storage of your rig.

IF not. they may be able to recommend a good service facility.

If you are near FLINT. MI.. I know one of each.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
It might be cheaper to tow to the dealer than have it at CW. I can recommend two towing companies in the Portland area that I would trust, send me a PM. Might also call the dealer and ask them who they use for towing, the company is going to have to return to base if you get them out of PDX or BFE.

What of the repair bothers the tech about driving 110 miles?

Never to late to get the insurance involved, which due to fire might have been better to do from the start.

The burnt wires. Who knows
what can happen. I got a price to have it towed and it is 475 per hour both ways. I believe they want just over 4,500 dollars. The insurance co didn't like that.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Your first call should have been to your insurance company. Let them guide you to repair or totaling. You paid them for just this…a major accidental expense.
They were are fist call. That is why it took six weeks to get it towed. I took matters into my own hands and figured out how to get the motorhome out of the tight spot. The tow companies didn't have a clue. The insurance does nothing. They tell you to find the repair shop. If they find one, God knows what they would come up with. They couldn't find a local tow company!

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
It might be cheaper to tow to the dealer than have it at CW. I can recommend two towing companies in the Portland area that I would trust, send me a PM. Might also call the dealer and ask them who they use for towing, the company is going to have to return to base if you get them out of PDX or BFE.

What of the repair bothers the tech about driving 110 miles?

Never to late to get the insurance involved, which due to fire might have been better to do from the start.

Bruce_Brown
Agree on the insurance part - they take care of this stuff all the time.

However if that ship has sailed, I personally would trust a good, small shop moreso than a big box type place. The small guy most likely has longer term, more experienced people. It would also stand a better chance of having the same person working on it start to finish.

I could be wrong.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not have moved it. Call the insurance co and let them deal with it. I had a battery explode in mine last year. I discovered it quick and other than a mess to clean up all was ok but it could have been a disaster. I am 81 and if that thing burns to the ground I will miss it but the insurance co can have it, thats what they are for.