Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What to do about fire damage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> What to do about fire damage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
tvfrfireman

Portland, Or

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/22 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Your first call should have been to your insurance company. Let them guide you to repair or totaling. You paid them for just this…a major accidental expense.
They were are fist call. That is why it took six weeks to get it towed. I took matters into my own hands and figured out how to get the motorhome out of the tight spot. The tow companies didn't have a clue. The insurance does nothing. They tell you to find the repair shop. If they find one, God knows what they would come up with. They couldn't find a local tow company!

tvfrfireman

Portland, Or

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/22 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedRollingRoadblock wrote:

It might be cheaper to tow to the dealer than have it at CW. I can recommend two towing companies in the Portland area that I would trust, send me a PM. Might also call the dealer and ask them who they use for towing, the company is going to have to return to base if you get them out of PDX or BFE.

What of the repair bothers the tech about driving 110 miles?

Never to late to get the insurance involved, which due to fire might have been better to do from the start.

The burnt wires. Who knows
what can happen. I got a price to have it towed and it is 475 per hour both ways. I believe they want just over 4,500 dollars. The insurance co didn't like that.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/22 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Or, would you go to Camping World and say your prayers? "

Only as an absolute LAST resort.

IF you have the rig at home... Check with on-site RV repair services (most campgrounds know of one) they may be willing to work "on site" And since their shop has wheels and an engine.. Just like your vacation home.. They are often less expensive since they are NOT responsible for storage of your rig.

IF not. they may be able to recommend a good service facility.

If you are near FLINT. MI.. I know one of each.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/22 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I would go with the small local shop every time.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/22 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Must be something missing in this story---or maybe you should tell us what insurance you have. If you have it covered then they should cover it. Whole lot of this don't add up.

tvfrfireman

Portland, Or

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/22 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Must be something missing in this story---or maybe you should tell us what insurance you have. If you have it covered then they should cover it. Whole lot of this don't add up.

I sure hate to drag the insurance company through the mud. It is my local agent who dropped the ball. The people we deal with are taking care of the bills but have no idea of who is best capable of the repair when they are thousands of miles away. You make me sound like I am not honest so I will go to my other forum. Your 'things don't add up sentence is hurtful. We are private honest people and don't owe you any names or explanations. So far, I could write two chapters on tow companies alone and don't want to write pages of what we have been through and has transpired. We are still upset over the fire and damage to our coach and the way things have gone so far. Six weeks to get it moved 16 miles and I could write 16 pages.We just ask the names of good people that can help us repair out dream fo a motorhome. .

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/22 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP: All due respect, but you opened the insurance can of worms, with the statement regarding towing and the insurance company wasn't happy with the cost. Doesn't matter if they're happy. Insurance is a wager of sorts between the company and policyholder.
Your company lost the wager as evidenced by your claim. It's, business nothing personal. Sure, the company will do all they can to control costs, but their responsibility is to facilitate repair of your RV; It's what you're paying for. If that's not happening as it should, in a timely fashion, maybe it's time to buy a 1 hour consultation with an insurance attorney.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/22 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

OP: All due respect, but you opened the insurance can of worms, with the statement regarding towing and the insurance company wasn't happy with the cost. Doesn't matter if they're happy. Insurance is a wager of sorts between the company and policyholder.
Your company lost the wager as evidenced by your claim. It's, business nothing personal. Sure, the company will do all they can to control costs, but their responsibility is to facilitate repair of your RV; It's what you're paying for. If that's not happening as it should, in a timely fashion, maybe it's time to buy a 1 hour consultation with an insurance attorney.

I agree, the insurance should be taking care of this, if they are not, get a lawyer!

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Branson N Tucson

Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/22 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would stay away from Camping World. They do not do engine work and second wouldn't trust them. I agree work with your insurance company. Once they assign a claim number you will be covered till it gets fixed. If within a certain frame time the same problem reappears your still covered.

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/22 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as I can see we still don't know what make, model or year the coach is.
Those things are important to determine if the coach is even worth fixing.
Fire damage can be incredibly expensive and lengthy to repair correctly.

The OPs profile shows a 2004 Alpenlite Medinah 5th wheel trailer worth $32k. We know that's incorrect but ???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> What to do about fire damage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.