Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Not for us
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Not for us

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/22 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer a few questions, we had originally thought we would try workcamping and travel around but seeing that most jobs wanted someone to do some kind of maintenance work, landscaping or cleaning rental cabins and bathrooms that isn’t something we wanted to do. Yes, I’m sure there are jobs like at the resort we are in that are office jobs, security or ranger jobs but I’m sure those will go to the park residents or experienced people first.

I had an opportunity to start a machinery distributorship with a partner and with that being what I did for most of my career that made the most sense and will bring in the most money.

No, I don’t prefer mowing lawns to dumping tanks. That is why we will likely wind up renting a townhouse or condo and leave all that to someone else.

I leave my black tank closed until it gets to 2/3 full or more. I don’t want any build up to occur which would cause more problems down the road so I dump every 4 days and wash it out once a week.

Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/22 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have been married since high school. We love RVing and have traveled a few hundred thousand miles around this country. We love finding new places and seeing new sights. What we have found, after 50+ years of marriage, is that 3 months or so is about all that we can stand to be around each other in close quarters. After that much time on the road, we need to go back to our stick house and spread out to our own spaces and relax. For that reason we found out years ago that we would never be able to full time. We can do multiple 3 month long trips with no issues but I am afraid that if we tried full timing, we would end up divorced within a year. [emoticon]

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/22 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes full timing sounds great. But for me the fun of traveling and planning would wear out quickly. I would rather have a home base and then travel from there 1-2 months at a time. Get home stretch out and relax from the MH and then plan for the next big trip.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/22 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always thought fulltiming meant chucking the house and the job and enjoying the travel.

WILDEBILL308

FORT WORTH , TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/22 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

To answer a few questions, we had originally thought we would try workcamping and travel around but seeing that most jobs wanted someone to do some kind of maintenance work, landscaping or cleaning rental cabins and bathrooms that isn’t something we wanted to do. Yes, I’m sure there are jobs like at the resort we are in that are office jobs, security or ranger jobs but I’m sure those will go to the park residents or experienced people first.

I had an opportunity to start a machinery distributorship with a partner and with that being what I did for most of my career that made the most sense and will bring in the most money.

No, I don’t prefer mowing lawns to dumping tanks. That is why we will likely wind up renting a townhouse or condo and leave all that to someone else.

I leave my black tank closed until it gets to 2/3 full or more. I don’t want any build up to occur which would cause more problems down the road so I dump every 4 days and wash it out once a week.

Seriously you didn't do a search on "work camping" To find out what it involved???
I think you should sell the RV now as the market is up Call and talk to NIRVC they are looking for newer coaches. 770-979-4051.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/22 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Yes full timing sounds great. But for me the fun of traveling and planning would wear out quickly. I would rather have a home base and then travel from there 1-2 months at a time. Get home stretch out and relax from the MH and then plan for the next big trip.

Good point.Golfing is a fun relaxing thing to do until you turn pro and it becomes your job.
RV travel is a fun enjoyable lifestyle until it becomes your life and the only way you live!
I'm not a pro golfer and I'm not a full timer. But I am aware that the lustre wears off real quick when there is no escape!

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

trucker11

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/22 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WILDEBILL308 wrote:

I think you should sell the RV now as the market is up Call and talk to NIRVC they are looking for newer coaches. 770-979-4051.

Bill

Not really, the RV market is down and accelerating downward. It will take 6 months to a year before its blatantly obvious, but hyperinflation has already started taking it's toll on RV sales. You're going to see a national average gasoline price of $5 or more prior to Memorial day. That will really clamp the binders on. Can you say recession? Sure, I knew you could. This is going to make 2008/09 look like a church picnic.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/22 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with you OP. 66+, still working, still in the " to big house" plan on keeping it that way. For others the full-time park life maybe great, just not for me. I think I would hate it.

But again, just me, different strokes for different folks

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/22 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our RV a few years back, I'd read up on fulltiming, working while fulltiming, etc. We'd mostly gone on weekend trips but with COVID leaving us both working from home, we thought we were ready to go out on the road full time.

But then when we went on a few 1 - 3 week trips, we realized that it wasn't for us, neither of us really wanted to live in the RV full time, we missed the comforts of home, or even a hotel. This was a relatively spacious Class C with slides, but not quite as spacious as the OP's Class A.

I thought I'd done the research and knew what to expect, but turns out that the reality doesn't always live up to the expectation. We still enjoy RV'ing, but not full time or months on end. I'm not sure that any amount of research can really tell you whether or not fulltiming is right for you, unless you already have a lot of extended RV experience.

We've recently downsized to a Class B, and are planning 45 day cross country trip this summer, but with the smaller Class B, we can stop at a hotel easily without worrying about parking.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/22 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

Good point.Golfing is a fun relaxing thing to do until you turn pro and it becomes your job.
RV travel is a fun enjoyable lifestyle until it becomes your life and the only way you live!
I'm not a pro golfer and I'm not a full timer. But I am aware that the lustre wears off real quick when there is no escape!

Whenever I hear the advice "find something you love to do and make it your career", I point out that in many cases, you love doing "that" because you have the choice. When "that" is suddenly mandated and put on a schedule, it very often becomes unenjoyable. And if "that" professionally includes a boss with ideas of their own, it can make things even less enjoyable.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Not for us
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.