Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 100 a/h Lithium Battery for $21?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 100 a/h Lithium Battery for $21?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not: De-reviews

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Under $400 for 2 pairs of GC2 batteries, we purchase all our RV batteries here although we tend to catch them on sale saving $100 on a set of four. Average about 8 years on a set of GC2 batteries before trading in although they still have power left in them. Love the new battery tech but will stick with what has worked well for us over the last 3 decades, I spend more on fuel in a single out of state trip for what it costs to have 8 years of reliable 12 volt reserves.

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/22 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Am I right that the lithium don't need to be vented like the golf carts would?"

Correct. No vent needed. Can be mounted inside your RV. Lithium IS reliable.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't buy super cheap lithium batteries to put into my RV unless they were in an outside compartment far from my living area.

Lead Acid batteries don't worry me - as long as you don't short them out and you vent the hydrogen, lead acid batteries don't have a catastrophic failure mode.

Lithium batteries rely on temperature and voltage monitoring for safety - overcharging will result in catastrophic failure. The charger should prevent overcharging and will usually monitor temperature too, but the BMS inside the battery is the safety system of last resort preventing you from having a battery explosion.

Safety systems like that are the last place I want to save a few dollars, or even a few hundred dollars. I'll gladly pay for name-brand batteries if it means that I'm less likely to have the battery beneath my bed explode because my charger tried to overcharge them.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/22 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no way any legit business can sell multiple 4-unit pallets of items normally costing $600-$1,000 EACH items for only $82.99 for all four. While there is a microscopic chance someone could stumble onto such a deal in the case of someone with them just wanting to get them the heck out of the garage/shed/extra bedroom, I think you have to stretch your chances beyond all possibility in order to find a legit deal of the sort offered in the ad, which, btw, has been showing up on my Facetube feed frequently of late.

I have not bitten because I am certain enough it is a scam to not bother risking, er, throwing away $82.99.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone dissassembled a battery not unlike these (low cost) and found.... Some things were not. precisely, as advertised.
That said. it was still a good battery.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was this ad on facebook? Wanting you to pay by paypal? If so, SCAM!!!

Run!

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/22 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

I wouldn't buy super cheap lithium batteries to put into my RV unless they were in an outside compartment far from my living area.

Lead Acid batteries don't worry me - as long as you don't short them out and you vent the hydrogen, lead acid batteries don't have a catastrophic failure mode.

Lithium batteries rely on temperature and voltage monitoring for safety - overcharging will result in catastrophic failure. The charger should prevent overcharging and will usually monitor temperature too, but the BMS inside the battery is the safety system of last resort preventing you from having a battery explosion.

Safety systems like that are the last place I want to save a few dollars, or even a few hundred dollars. I'll gladly pay for name-brand batteries if it means that I'm less likely to have the battery beneath my bed explode because my charger tried to overcharge them.
I believe you may be confusing lifepo4 with other less stable lithium chemistries. Lifepo4 batteries are very stable and safe. They will not explode when overheated or overcharged. No significant thermal runaway issues. They also don't emit or off-gas any kind of deadly fumes like a lead cell either. Completely safe to use underneath your bed. What's not to like?

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

rlw999 wrote:

I believe you may be confusing lifepo4 with other less stable lithium chemistries. Lifepo4 batteries are very stable and safe. They will not explode when overheated or overcharged. No significant thermal runaway issues. They also don't emit or off-gas any kind of deadly fumes like a lead cell either. Completely safe to use underneath your bed. What's not to like?

LiFePo4 batteries are *safer* than other chemistries, but still require an operational BMS to make them safe. And in some cases, the BMS in the battery itself can fail and cause a fire.

I have a huge lithionics battery under my bed, but I trust them to design a good battery and recall it if there are problems, they can't afford the bad press if there's a fire.

But if I buy a battery from some unknown reseller, the company may already be out of business (or running under another name) by the time a problem is discovered.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my last 100ah lifepo4 for a little under $300,the guy told me that lithium batteries are going up in price including there's...It did bit there still are a few good bus out there..Last I looked,Chins was $309 and there rep said that they use GFB cells,same as SOK..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 100 a/h Lithium Battery for $21?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.