cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hope this is OK for this forum - DEF question

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you with diesels in your truck, have you found a good fill spout for the 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF? I have tried two of the ones furnished with the DEF and both leaked.
I tried tightening and made sure the rubber vent was seated.
Still dripped down the side of my truck.

I am new to diesel engines.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks,
59 REPLIES 59

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I use the Ford Motorcraft spout for a no drama DEF fill process. It features a snap on nozzle to fill port so it doesn't come out of the fill port while filling. After use I rinse with tap water and let it dry for a couple of days and then place it back into the plastic bag.

After almost 10 years and 236k miles I still have the factory original DEF system.

Link

Sounds like you are doing it RIGHT!!!

I do get a DEF error a couple times a year stating it's going to limit the speed in ~50 miles but it goes away. It's probably going to bite me one day.

It’s Texas, delete if it goes bad.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I use the Ford Motorcraft spout for a no drama DEF fill process. It features a snap on nozzle to fill port so it doesn't come out of the fill port while filling. After use I rinse with tap water and let it dry for a couple of days and then place it back into the plastic bag.

After almost 10 years and 236k miles I still have the factory original DEF system.

Link

I do get a DEF error a couple times a year stating it's going to limit the speed in ~50 miles but it goes away. It's probably going to bite me one day.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had any leaking problems when adding DEF and I usually use the cheapo 2.5 gal wallyworld stuff. The cheap spout works just fine.
Just say no to the payload police :C

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
where does the empty jug goes after it is empty? chevman

Left in the cart in the WalMart parking lot in a planter area.

Best SA answer yet!

Thanks!

It's disgusting so many have the energy to walk a football field size store but can't place the cart in the proper location and place garbage in the containers they all provide.

Don't get me started on shopping carts ,had my 99 Superduty brand new 1 week , parked out at the edge of the parking lot ,no one around it . Someone to lazy to put the cart away rolled down into the side of the truck, off to the body shop . :M

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:

Best SA answer yet!

Thanks!

It's disgusting so many have the energy to walk a football field size store but can't place the cart in the proper location and place garbage in the containers they all provide.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

blt2ski
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:

Best SA answer yet!
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

blt2ski
larry barnhart wrote:

In the back of the van, pickup bed, back seat....usually squashed with the air out until I can put it in the proper disposal can.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:

In my blue recycle trash can thats picked up every other week.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Toss it in the back of the truck between uses."

You can do that but I highly advise keeping that funnel spotless.
X2
The DEF systems on our trucks do NOT have any type of filter. like the fuel, air, and oil systems do. This means that any contaiminates that find their way into the tank, can wreak havoc.
This is also the reason I do not buy it at the pump. cleanliness is VERY important when handling DEF to avoid an expensive repair bill.
The small savings one can realize buy at the pumps can by wiped out many times over from getting contaiminates in the system.

As for GM putting the DEF tank under the hood... The reason was quite simple.. DEF was a new item for the consumers, and GM thought that putting it under the hood, would greatly reduce the chance of misfills at the pumps. From reading the forums over many years, it appears that GM was correct. I have NEVER read where someone mixed up the DEF/diesel fills on a GM. The Ford forums did have several reports on this.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I don't disagree that GM trucks under the hood fill is a horrible location.
But it does eliminate..maybe I should say reduce the chances of someone putting DEF in the fuel tank or vice versa.
My bigger complaint is not the fill lpocation but the fact there is no gauge!
How can you have a truck with a consumable fluid an no gauge. Just a random unreliable warning message.

Totally agree!

I usually get a warning that I have 500 (?) kms left in the tank, but in northern Ontario in the middle of nowhere I got a notification that my engine would soon go into reduced power mode. Glad I carried an extra jug.

A gauge would be nice.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)