cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper title?

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a used truck camper and almost everyone I talk to says they do not have a title. Is this the norm, just wondering. I live in Arizona and I want everything to be legal. Thanks,
32 REPLIES 32

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
deltabravo wrote:

Sorry, but the above answer if fake news.

RV manufacturers have NEVER issued titles.

Issuance of a title is up to the state where the owner lives.

WA issues titles for truck camper, which is where I live/ My 2010 Arctic Fox got issued a title by the WA State DOL when I bought it in 2009.

State of CA does not issue titles.

This was clarified on the previous page. And more accurately, mfgs of anything (that would have titled ownership) don't issue titles.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

specta
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
specta wrote:
Manufactures didn't issue camper titles until 2015.

I will tell the DMV that. I can't believe they didn't know that.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
specta wrote:

RV manufacturers have NEVER issued titles.

Issuance of a title is up to the state where the owner lives.

WA issues titles for truck camper, which is where I live/ My 2010 Arctic Fox got issued a title by the WA State DOL when I bought it in 2009.

State of CA does not issue titles.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pete_k wrote:
. . . We bought our Eagle Cap in Fl end of 21. Only got a Bill of sale with it . . .
Did you happen to ask the dealer for the MCO? It could come in handy in the future. When we purchased our TC new out-of-state, the dealer didn't offer us a copy either. Apparently they assumed we didn't need it since we lived in a state that didn't require TC's to be registered. I asked for the MCO anyhow. They mailed it to us.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pete_k wrote:
I do know in the state of Tn. If you borrow $$ to buy the Truck camper. You can take the MCO in and get a Tag and Title. We bought a new camper in 2006. Being we paid cash for it. Did not get a title in Tn, as we bought it in Denver.
Buddy of mine bought a new Lance same month in Ky. But financed his, he got a title and tag. Along with paying all that sales tax to Tn.
When I sold our 2006 TC in 2012. It went to a guy in VA, I gave him the original MCO and a Bill of sale.
We bought our Eagle Cap in Fl end of 21. Only got a Bill of sale with it. Being Fl was also a state that shows a TC as Cargo.

That's because TN is a title and tags "required" state.
Your buddy went through the typical dealer process where they process the first titling and registration for the customer. You just circumvented the process and didn't follow the law. (no issue from me, I didn't re-title or register either of our TCs in WA. I'm not buying a license plate and paying 10% tax on cargo for my truck that sits on stilts in the shop 53 weeks out of the year!)
(It must be a law that requires the dealer to get it into the first owners name, because I tried to get a dealer to not title and license a new truck because we were moving to a different state in a couple weeks and didn't want to pay twice. No go)

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
I do know in the state of Tn. If you borrow $$ to buy the Truck camper. You can take the MCO in and get a Tag and Title. We bought a new camper in 2006. Being we paid cash for it. Did not get a title in Tn, as we bought it in Denver.
Buddy of mine bought a new Lance same month in Ky. But financed his, he got a title and tag. Along with paying all that sales tax to Tn.
When I sold our 2006 TC in 2012. It went to a guy in VA, I gave him the original MCO and a Bill of sale.
We bought our Eagle Cap in Fl end of 21. Only got a Bill of sale with it. Being Fl was also a state that shows a TC as Cargo.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

Bedlam
Maybe ID did not issue titles off MCO's until 2015.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
specta wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
specta wrote:

Manufacturers don't issue titles.
They issue MCOs (that kinda look like titles).

I'm only going by what I was told by the DMV and the dealer that I purchased my camper from.

Maybe they're wrong.

Sorry, I was pointing out the difference between a title and a MCO.
That said, I had 2006 and 2003 Arctic Fox TCs both with titles. But I bought them (used) in WA which is a title and tag state for TCs.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
specta wrote:

I'm only going by what I was told by the DMV and the dealer that I purchased my camper from.

Maybe they're wrong.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
My dad bought a new 1982 off-road dirt bike and it had a title. It was not a street legal bike.
Title shows ownership and VIN or serial number, it is a way to attach the receipt or legal paper to a vehicle, but mostly a way to tax it yearly.

Only a few states consider a TC a vehicle, all others consider it a really big beer cooler.
If you are worried about it having been stolen and then you losing it later, then remove the vin or serial number - this is legal to do on a beer cooler or any other cargo that is not a registered vehicle.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
stevenal wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
specta wrote:

And (some) state DMVs take that and some money and issue a title, registration, plate, and a tag.

10-4! Thatโ€™s how it works when a (any) new vehicle gets titled for the first time.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
specta wrote:

And (some) state DMVs take that and some money and issue a title, registration, plate, and a tag.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
specta wrote:

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:

That is regional. Both my 1970s units had titles because they were sold to west coast states where titles and their own registration and plates were required.

California, for example, on the other hand, doesn't, because they're not considered vehicles and so are missing titles.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL