Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Santa Fe-Taos and Flagstaff suggestions please
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Santa Fe-Taos and Flagstaff suggestions please

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/22 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

padredw wrote:

If you boondock you can stay up at the Taos Ski Valley for free--on the parking lot.

Not any more. It's now $25/night plus tax with no hookups or showers, in designated sites that have a 36' maximum length. They want you to make reservation.

I may have been one of the last to stay there without cost or reservations. There is one small ray of hope: Maybe this applies to ski season ? ? ? and not to Summer ? ? ? Well it was great while it lasted.

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/22 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

padredw wrote:

I may have been one of the last to stay there without cost or reservations. There is one small ray of hope: Maybe this applies to ski season ? ? ? and not to Summer ? ? ?

I thought of that as well. Their reservation site shows nothing available after closing date for the ski area. We'll have to see whether that means it goes back to being FCFS free, or they're going to have a different structure for the summer that isn't incorporated in the website yet, or you can't do it at all.

What I find weird about the whole thing is this statement: "Overnight stays are limited to a seven (7) night stay in our lots. National Forest rules expressly forbid living/residing in the National Forest which includes the Taos Ski Valley parking lots."

If the rules expressly prohibit it, how are they allowing it?

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/22 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

Flagstaff: while there is a lot of carping on the forum about KOA, I have found the Flagstaff KOA a satisfactory place to spend a few days.

Yep it was a great camp site as long as you don't mind falling apart utilities, unlevel sites, and almost enough room to open a slide. I travel a lot and this is by far the worst I have been in. I just checked reviews, 86 camps in 20 states if that means anything.

Try this for something around Santa Fe Santa Fe

KOA Flag almost enough room to open slide as long as the tables not in use. Note table tilt don't try and use it.
[image]
Power box Flag KOA
[image]
Sewer Cap Flag KOA
[image]
Lots of block for unlevel Flag KOA check the table!
[image]

* This post was edited 03/01/22 08:32pm by Edd505 *

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

trailertraveler

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/22 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rice wrote:

What I find weird about the whole thing is this statement: "Overnight stays are limited to a seven (7) night stay in our lots. National Forest rules expressly forbid living/residing in the National Forest which includes the Taos Ski Valley parking lots."

If the rules expressly prohibit it, how are they allowing it?
This language has been included in the rules for most National Forests to prevent homesteading by fulltime RVers that moved from one campsite to another, often within the same Forest every 7, 14 or 21 days depending on the length of stay requirements. This issue started several years ago and came to ahead in Arizona National Forests where there were groups of RVers moving from one encampment to another for long periods of time. The practice was championed by the advocates of cheap RV living.

Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/22 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess an "overnight stay," even for 7 nights in a row, isn't the same as "living/residing." It seems to me that staying in an RV site is the same as residing in the RV site, but I guess not.

trailertraveler

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rice wrote:

I guess an "overnight stay," even for 7 nights in a row, isn't the same as "living/residing." It seems to me that staying in an RV site is the same as residing in the RV site, but I guess not.
Words often have different meanings to different people in different contexts. This is why most laws, rules and regulations include definitions of the words they use in the descriptions of what is permitted and what is not. Many states have criteria which determine when you become a resident of their state or are required to become a resident. Length of stay is one common criteria used.

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

padredw wrote:

I may have been one of the last to stay there without cost or reservations. There is one small ray of hope: Maybe this applies to ski season ? ? ? and not to Summer ? ? ? Well it was great while it lasted.
I just checked and it's for the summer, too.

mittshel

Lake Havasu City, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/22 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We didn't care for the Flag KOA but for 1 night fine. Betsy.

Betsy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Santa Fe-Taos and Flagstaff suggestions please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.