cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alllergic to camp fire smoke.....? RV coming 3 weeks!!!!

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love camping and it is the best thing. Here is my issue.. I am so allergic to the fire smoke ...I just can't do it any more! The wood..so much work.I am going to move into a campfire ring that is LPG. Does any one have any info on this? Any feed back? Well I am finding some things
but I all want you to do is chime in and educate me...I want to clean up my outings. Burning wood does not go with my new way of camping...it is just old school...sure if you had to burn wood ....OK!! But clean burning fuels does it make any sence?,,, why not use it?? It certanly has me looking in a new direction...damb I am getting cranky...I just want to turn on the gas....hit the ring with a long lighter and the show is on....you go and the cold ones are flowing.....now we can have campfire tales..that quick!!
31 REPLIES 31

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
When I want to sit by the fire I turn on my natural gas heater Lol

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some folks love campfires...

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
but I'm the one who's 10' back and on the upwind side.....LOL!

😞
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Yes, clean burning fuels make sense.
If you're so allergic to camp fire smoke what about the campers near your site? Their smoke will probably drift your way.
If a gas fire works for you, go for it.

I too am allergic to smoke; we arrived at our campsite, only to see our neighbors all set up with a nice smoky campfire, and the smoke was blowing into our campsite. We just drove back to the office and politely asked for a different site - scored one overlooking a beautiful little creek!

I do love staring into a campfire - but I'm the one who's 10' back and on the upwind side.....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I often start the fire early on cold mornings, but can't see 1 in the evening. If it is cold enough to want/need fire, I don't want to sit in the cold while it goes out. Ever be part of group sitting around a candle?
I hope the smoke of wild fires don't count.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We don’t sit around campfires very much when camping because a lot of the time there are no fires allowed due to fire danger, and it gets dark very late during the Summer. It sounds like a propane setup is a great option though.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
^like

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't had a wood burning fire camping for probably 6-7 years now.. I grew up with camp fires as a kid and just about any time I was 'camping'.

With all the 'burn bans' we seem to have around WA state and just the fact of having to haul the wood, unload it, start the fire, then have to sit where the camp site has placed the fire pit in the first place (which usually is a lousy place to begin with) it's just become a PITA as I've gotten older.

No kids to have to give the 'camping experience' to.. I don't camp with groups of people that really makes the traditional camp fire something that just seems right, and no problem with those that do that.. It's the thing to do.. I get it, did it for many, many years!

I just like hauling out the propane fire pit when there are burn bans in place or not, yet I can still have a fire under the awning or wherever I want to put it and enjoy the evening. When I'm done, I turn it off and go inside.

No hauling or buying that overpriced wood bundles. I have a wood burning stove at home and use it all the time.. I buy and split my own wood all the time and usually have at least a cord of the stuff at any one time AT HOME..

Anyway, I get asked about my propane fire pit all the time, and get the 'concerned camper' that can't have their wood fire during the bans come over and try to tell me "you know there is a burn ban and you can't have a fire.".. I say it's propane and I asked the Ranger and they said propane fires and stoves are fine... During burn bans, you can't even use charcoal bbq's.. ha, ha..

Anyway, do whatever works best for you and I'll do whatever works best for me and mind my own business about it, unless you come into my site and ask me "where did you get that propane fire pit"..

Happy camping everyone!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do what ever makes you happy. To me it's not a camp fire unless your burning wood. If it's gas I had just as soon watch the flame in my grill.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about your new allergy.
A close friend bought a nice faux campfire.
Its nice but its not a real campfire.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Another vote for the Outland Firebowl and it's very easy to modify for running from the BBQ connection on your RV.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is an actual allergy to wood smoke, then as pointed out, you will be subject to others' campfires unless you boondock.

If it's simply that you are tired of dealing with a wood fire, then getting a propane firepit gives you the campfire without the fuss.

To me, the biggest benefit of a propane firepit is that you are able to use them in fire season when wood fires are not permitted.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This wins the “So, What is your point?” thread of the month award!
How do y’all come up with this stuff? ROFL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Y'all do what works for you. Pretty simple, actually. Anything you do has advantages and disadvantages relative to anything else you could have done.

I'm not allergic to campfire smoke, but I dislike it in general. Burns the eyes, stinkifies everything, etc. But I like campfires, especially ones burning wood. So I bought a so-called smokeless portable fire pit. It's a Bondfire model Solo Stove, and except for initial startup (usually no more than 5 minutes), it is indeed pretty much smokeless. That's my answer to the OP.

I have no issue with the propane burning, campfire-in-a-can crowd. I'll hang out with them; I'll invite them over to mine; or we can sit at our respective and wave hello at each other across the campground. Live and let live.