Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Heads up for tow vechicles
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Heads up for tow vechicles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/22 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 F-350 Dually long bed and a brought it to the shop today due to a charging issue. I had the mechanic check out the truck to be sure there were no other issues. Upon inspection, he noticed that the 3 beams that hold the trucks bed to the truck frame were rotting. I notice the rear one and it looked like swiss cheese. With this situation if the "beams" failed I could loose the bed or if towing my 5er. I have very light miles on the truck for its age, so that has nothing to do with mileage, but age and salt. The truck was purchased new in New England. A word of warning, is anyone that tows should also occasionally check their vehicles frame integrity. I was told that I could either find a "junk" bed or a welder who would remove the bed and replace the supports. est. cost $1500 to $2000 per phone conversation.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/22 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd look into a nice aluminum flatbed to put on the truck. It won't rust and it's so much more useful then a regular bed. You can add tool boxes above and below wherever you want for storage.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/22 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look on line. Plenty of companies have take off beds from when they installed work beds. It will have to be painted. For what it would cost to repair your bed you can purchase an entire rust free bed!

BTW, how were your brake lines?

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/22 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, for sure. Check your brake lines ... they do rust thru in NE - ask me how I know that. [emoticon]

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

bguy

The Rock

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/22 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Known issue for Fords around here.

---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/22 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The joys of living in the rust belt.

Sold a 1992 F250 a few years back. The old 7.3 just rumbled along closing in on 300k miles but the rest of the truck was rusting away. Sold it to circus folk (yes, literally) and they were headed out the next day across country.

I know truck prices are crazy right now but you may want to look into if it makes sense to dump a couple grand into a truck that may only be worth a few thousand or if it's time to sell and get something a little newer (hopefully not from a rust belt state)

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/22 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plenty of truck beds around for that year--started in 1999. My 2005 has 165,000mi and not a spot of rust anywhere. But it has never in its life been in bad weather and always garaged. It was 1 year old when I got it in Iowa, went from there to MD and last 15 years in central NC. BUT it is and was always used to tow a race car in good weather. But another trick is get up under there and wash the salt off. Here if they start that brine routine for no good reason, as they do, I have a junk to drive.

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an '05 in FL all its life, and see some rust in the same places. Good news is the FW hitch is mounted to the frame, so it'll keep the bed in place LOL.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately Ford trucks of that vintage don’t do well in NE.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, my '03 F250 was showing signs of exact same thing and box was starting to go south as well. 5er hitch not part of the box, so was okay there. Was considering getting a new(er) box, but other issues came up w/ the truck, so traded her in for a '15. Now that I have a alum box, be interesting to see how things go w/ that. Also added a Auto Saver to it. Supposed to be a rust preventer and better that Ziebart who I've used for years. We'll see.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Heads up for tow vechicles
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.