Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NJ to Florida 13'5" fifth wheel

solman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
We are planning a trip from central Jersey to Florida next month (March). I did a search but having a tall fifth wheel and at 35 feet in length I am not sure as to the best route.
I am sure others have done this ride so any information would be helpful.
I know 95 south has restrictions with propane and such around Baltimore I believe. I see Rt 301 mentioned, avoiding propane restrictions however I am not sure about Height limitations and low bridges and overpass though.
Thanks
Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch
10 REPLIES 10

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I think I would take 301 in Delaware and continue along the coast on 13 all the way to the CBBT. Chesapeake Bay bridge Tunnel.
Very scenic, less traffic less stress. Once across the CBBT I believe you can take 58 back to 95.
We have traveled from Southern New Jersey to Florida in Mid-February or March for the past 10 years. Once across the CBBT, we take US-13 or US-17 South. They merge together for awhile and we then stay on US-17 until it merges with I-95 near the South Carolina/Georgia border. Over the years there has been more and more four lane constructed. There are bypasses around the major population areas. The SC-31 bypass is now complete around Myrtle Beach which was one of the last congested areas remaining on this route. Check your potential overnights as campgrounds North of Virginia Beach may not be open for the season yet.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

solman wrote:
Lantley wrote:
301 before the bay bridge ggenerally flows well. However the bay bridge can be its own nightmare. There can be wind restrictions two way traffic on the west bound span and lots of traffic. This time of year its relatively safe but as the weather warms up so does the traffic. The bay bridge is no cake walk.
I think I would take 301 in Delaware and continue along the coast on 13 all the way to the CBBT. Chesapeake Bay bridge Tunnel.
Very scenic, less traffic less stress. Once across the CBBT I believe you can take 58 back to 95.

Can you take CBBT with propane?
I thought it's prohibited
Thanks

Yes, it has to be turned OFF..... I went this way last summer from SE PA to Myrtle Beach... Much nicer ride. Although I did NOT cut over to 95, the roads were nice..Google maps it
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

solman
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
301 before the bay bridge ggenerally flows well. However the bay bridge can be its own nightmare. There can be wind restrictions two way traffic on the west bound span and lots of traffic. This time of year its relatively safe but as the weather warms up so does the traffic. The bay bridge is no cake walk.

Can you take CBBT with propane?
I thought it's prohibited
Thanks
Solman
pullrite 16k hitch

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

This is 301 south of Delaware- The whole ride to the bridge is almost like this.. I took this 2 weeks ago on one of my trips to VA.. I really like that portion.. It keeps you away from that over crowded 95 in and around MD...I , myself stay on 50 and get back on 95 unless its rush hour, than I weigh my options

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
From Rt 50 down 301 from Bowie at last count there were 52 traffic lights, several with cameras, to the bridge into VA which has on going construction. Don't bother just go on into the DC beltway I-95 495. I don't know if the new WW drawbridge has ever been opened so I wouldn't worry about that. I always go straight down I-95 through Richmond but with the trailer might be easier to take the by pass. For some reason traffic is always slow in SC and the road its self is awful. Depending where you are going offers some options in FL, if going to the East coast, Orlando stay on I-95 right through Jacksonville. If going down the other side take exit 129, FL route A1A over to Callahan and hit 301 which takes you right down through the center to just North of Ocala where you can get on I-75. You even have choices after that. Trick to DC Baltimore area is timing. You come through there at the wrong time you are in for a long day. I just made this trip 6 weeks ago on the west side and last year to West Palm Beach. Be safe

solman
Explorer
Explorer
OK thanks for the route alternatives.
I think I will follow the 301 advice
Solman
pullrite 16k hitch

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll offer another perspective....95 is like a racetrack all the way down the coast, the inland route is a much les stressful ride. Depending on where you are in NJ, take 78 or 80 to 81, pick up 77 south of Roanoke and take that into Charlotte, then 85 to 675 to loop around Atlanta and then 75 down to FL.

I have been travelling between SE PA and Richmond VA every 6 weeks for years...

Now that upper 301 is complete that is my ONLY way to go... It is technically 5 minutes longer, but that is compared using the tunnels which you cannot do..

Take 95 so Into DE, hop on rt 1 south to 301 south.... you will cruise along with no traffic until you reach the Bay Bridge... follow 50/301 cross the bridge staying on 50 and 28 miles will be 95 south. You will get on 17 miles North of the draw bridge.. This is the only way I travel with my 42' fiver now

If you wanna steer clear of 95, hop onto 301 S Bowie.. follow that back to 95 where you will get on at MM 104 about 20 miles North of 295 around Richmond
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We drive the trunk a lot. In Baltimore, it's the tunnel that has restrictions. We use the loop around the west side. Most of the time, it only adds 10 - 15 minutes and adds hours to my life because it's less stressful. 301 is hit-and-miss due to traffic, small towns, stop lights, etc. I would stick to I-95 and use the loops around Baltimore and DC.

Rob

Edit/PS: there are one or two bridges on 301 that I don't like to pull over with the RV, either.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015