cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protector Scorched

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks - hope this is the right forum for this?

I have a 30A surge protector. This weekend while it was in use the power company (not the campground) did a power failure. I started hearing arcing from the box and beeping from the rig so I went to turn everything off - but the cheap s*** Regional Park didn't have circuit breakers. When the power came back on and I left the next day, I found that one of the posts on my surge protector is all scorched looking.

Do I need to replace it? Or do I just sand off the scorching?

BTW,it did its job and none of the rig was damaged.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!
21 REPLIES 21

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
valhalla360,

I've never had the opportunity to measure watts into an autoformer and at the same time measure watts out. I suspect it is a near zero difference, other than a tiny bit to run an incoming voltage sensor circuit board.

The autoformer just has more than one "tap" on a single wound transformer. Sola Basic has one buck at 135 volts, and three boosts, at 110, 100, and 90 volts.

I've tweaked mine to 114, 104, and 94. I've never seen the 94. I suspect that also means the buck is a little high at 139 volts.

I've seen sub 100v at the pedestal at several parks (usually get the generator out if the boosted power drops below 108v but that's pretty rare). Lowest I've seen was 84v and the it was stop-everything and kill the breakers...followed by switching to the generator.

I suspect you don't see much below that because the park breakers usually start popping. This typically corresponds to a busy period with everyone running their air/con, so the park system is pushing the amp limits on the various circuits. Then as the voltage goes down, the compressor amps go up, so it quickly spirals to the point where the park breakers pop. In this case, an autoformer obviously won't do much.

But again, it's largely a myth that autoformers cause you to use any noticeable increase in power except for the fact you can continue to use the power the park agreed to provide when the voltage would otherwise suggest it's smart to disconnect from the pedestal entirely and use ZERO power. (as you indicated, there is a voltage sensor but that shouldn't draw anything noticeable)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
valhalla360,

I've never had the opportunity to measure watts into an autoformer and at the same time measure watts out. I suspect it is a near zero difference, other than a tiny bit to run an incoming voltage sensor circuit board.

The autoformer just has more than one "tap" on a single wound transformer. Sola Basic has one buck at 135 volts, and three boosts, at 110, 100, and 90 volts.

I've tweaked mine to 114, 104, and 94. I've never seen the 94. I suspect that also means the buck is a little high at 139 volts.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
valhalla360,

Since I'm 30 amp--I use an adapter to 50 amp. That gives me access to 6000 watts and the autoformer would never cause a trip.

The only time I've tripped a breaker was on a 15 amp circuit where I deliberately over loaded it. I was using autoformer because input voltage was 100.

Then it's not the autoformer, it's the 50amp adapter that is allowing you to use more power...by that logic, they should outlaw 50amp adapters.

But even then the autoformer won't boost unless the park is providing low voltage.

There might be a few watts used in standby but if the park is providing adequate voltage, the park would be hard pressed to show $0.01 of electricity per day extra used.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
valhalla360,

Since I'm 30 amp--I use an adapter to 50 amp. That gives me access to 6000 watts and the autoformer would never cause a trip.

The only time I've tripped a breaker was on a 15 amp circuit where I deliberately over loaded it. I was using autoformer because input voltage was 100.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
Since the campground pays by the kilowatt hour, an autoformer is going to use a tiny bit more.

The pedestal amperage is still capped at the same level before the breaker pops, you aren't going to jump to using 36amps because you have an autoformer (yeah, continuous rating is 80% of nominal feel free to do the math but same principal).

Only time the autoformer should kick into boost mode is if the park is not providing adequate voltage, then yes, you get to keep using the electricity you paid for when otherwise, a smart person would kill the pedestal breaker so as not to damage the rig and by default you zero KWH...I don't feel too bad using more KWH by using the autoformer in those conditions.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Since the campground pays by the kilowatt hour, an autoformer is going to use a tiny bit more.
Regards, Don

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
The autoformers are designed to adjust voltage. The surge guards are designed to prevent an electrical surge from destroying your coach's electronics and high or low voltage from doing the same. Some autoformers also have surge suppression but a surge suppressor will not increase your amperage usage to bump up your voltage which an autoformer is specifically designed to do. This is the reason that autoformers might not be allowed when a surge guard (of any name brand) would be just fine.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok there are 3 different devices covered by this thread
"Surge Guard" is a brand of 2 or 3 of them.

Autoformers often contain MOV devices designed to clip spikes. the primary purpose of an autoformer is to correct ... generally LOW voltage (one covers high as well) but these MOV's clip spikes.

A Spike is a short high voltage. often as much as a thousand volts. for as little as 1/100th or 1/50th of a second or less.

A true SURGE (like a tidal wave) they sound like firecrackers on July 4 as they blow up (Trust me been there when it happened)

Now a proper "Surge Guard" (By my denfintion) is a device (And Surge Guard makes 'em by the way.. I have one) that monitors voltage. Too high. or low. it cuts you off. From power application it waites a 2-3 mintues before it passes power. it reads amps and volts (on both legs if 50 amp) and otherwise protects you.

That Tidal wave (IE plugging into a 30 amp outlet that's 240 volt) it protects you MOVs just go BANG.

As I said before a burnt ... usually the neutral... on 30 amp plugs.
Very very common. Not an indication of failure. Indicates need for new plug
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that an autoformer is NOT the same as your surge guard (or any surge protector). The Autoformer is designed to increase voltage to your coach during periods of low voltage by using extra amps from the campground service. 2 completed different beasts. The autoformer may also protect against surge but a surge guard cannot increase the voltage coming into your coach.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
30 amp plugs do tend to do that. I've replaced several 30 amp and a couple 50's Temp sand it shiny. but replace the plug or socket... No need for a new surge protector just the plug... I'd get a slightly longer pigtail with plug and that way the next time it happens. and it will, you can just cut the cord and put on a new plug (carry a spare) .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dernhelm,

The scorching may be caused by low voltage. Try to keep the total loads below 24 amps, or 2880 watts.
Regards, Don

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
To answer the kind people who asked which one? It's a Surge Guard. Pictured here: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Technology-Research-30-Amp-Entry-Level-Portable-Surge-Protector-44260/310566342 Glad it did its job, I guess I'll find out if it has a warranty! Thanks everybody.

On edit: That's not quite it, mine has 3 lights. Same company though.

Oh, and I was surfing for RV Parks in NE recently and did see one that said "no autoformers" but I don't remember which one it was and it was too resort-like so we aren't staying there anyway. But they do exist.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which brand protector?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lwiddis wrote:
And some parks now forbid the use of autoformers. RVer isnโ€™t getting what he/she paid forโ€ฆsafe powerโ€ฆand canโ€™t make it safe for their RV.

Never came across a park that prohibits them. I'm betting most parks, the staff don't even know what they are.

More importantly, it's not relevant to the OP's question as he was dealing with a surge protector issue.

To the OP: yes, time to get a new one. It did it's job
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'