cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chassis Cab Ride Quality

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi, Currently exploring getting a chassis cab to put a custom utility bed on then my TC.

Looks like most are buying a 550 or 5500.

I have two questions.

1. Why not a 450 or 4500 chassis cab? They seem to have the CCC.

2. What is the ride quality like. I can imagine what an unloaded truck would be like, but can anyone speak to the fully loaded ride quality of their chassis cab set up?

Cheers,
Eric
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
19 REPLIES 19

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Re-reading your first post, OP, appears you're not planning on a heavier camper?
You already have a couple thousand lbs of headroom in your real world payload on your new dually, beyond what the loaded camper weighs. Seems like an ideal match as you have it, unless you're wanting to pack around a literal ton of extra "stuff" beyond the (estimated) 4500lb fully stocked camper.

TC carrying capacity on my truck is 5,071 lbs based on the included truck camper into provided with the truck. Cargo Carrying Capacity as indicated on the door frame is 5,916 lbs.

Fully loaded with 50 gallons of water, propane, inflatable SUP’s, 2 75 lb electric bikes and the heavy stinger and rack to carry them puts me at 14,000 at the CAT scale, which is right at my GVWR.

I am looking at larger truck so i can install a utility bed to carry even MORE stuff.
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cliff and Michele wrote:
Great timing. We just ordered a new Northern Lite 10-2 LEDB and are about to order a RAM 5500 and a body, possibly from Douglass Truck Bodies. We went with the 5500 as the payload of a 4500 is not much more than a 3500, but it does hve a huge towing capcity over the 3500. I needed carrying capacity so I went with the 5500. It looks like I will need a Kelderman air suspension after reading these comments.

4500 vs 5500 is the same typical dilemma as 2500 vs 3500.
As far as I know, same frame, axles, wheels and brakes, different springs and different gvw/payload rating.
None of which matters if you’re ripping out the suspension and replacing it with aftermarket. Even the gvw ratings don’t matter once you modify the most important part of the gvw equation.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
You will love the Kelderman setup. It changes everything. Tell them I sent you. Brad
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Cliff_and_Miche
Explorer
Explorer
Great timing. We just ordered a new Northern Lite 10-2 LEDB and are about to order a RAM 5500 and a body, possibly from Douglass Truck Bodies. We went with the 5500 as the payload of a 4500 is not much more than a 3500, but it does hve a huge towing capcity over the 3500. I needed carrying capacity so I went with the 5500. It looks like I will need a Kelderman air suspension after reading these comments.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh406 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I may print and frame this to hang on the wall! Funniest, most honest thing I’ve heard in a while!
I’m the proverbial F550 owner of beer, btw…lol.
I’m past the first 6 stages of IPA shock and now just get er dun! And tell my non IPA drinkin buddies how good it is….

For sure, it seems there are few people who like IPAs that also like the yellow beers that reminds some of us of something else that we'd never drink.

One thing that maybe was left off is that F350 Chassis cabs still have higher capacities than their pickup equivalent but don't have 19.5s.

I’m not prejudiced. I’ll slam a 12ver of Lite just as willingly as some Bhode or Space dust, but if I get through a half dozen of those, I’m not as appreciative the next day!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
I may print and frame this to hang on the wall! Funniest, most honest thing I’ve heard in a while!
I’m past the first 6 stages of IPA shock and now just get er dun! And tell my non IPA drinkin buddies how good it is….

For sure, it seems there are few people who like IPAs that also like the yellow beers that reminds some of us of something else that we'd never drink.

One thing that maybe was left off is that F350 Chassis cabs still have higher capacities than their pickup equivalent but don't have 19.5s.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mkirsch wrote:
People are saying it's not that bad in the same manner as they say IPAs are delicious.

They take a sip, and immediately you can see the desperate look in their eyes. Their throat quivers as they try to suppress the gag reflex. Their eyes begin to water. Then their lip twitches and their face begins to turn a shade of red. With some effort they swallow, and with a breathless "AHHHHH!" they claim it's the most tastiest thing they have ever tasted ever.

The ride is not that bad because if you admitted to yourself it rides like it has square wheels, you would begin to hate the vehicle and ultimately begin to hate the whole camping experience.

Lol, I shouldn't have sugar coated everything with the word "brutal".

Just so we're all on the same page...an empty flatbed (a few truck boxes or not) does ride rough. No thanks. I made a couple of trips with the current truck prior to the air and new bed, towing a trailer that was 10k, with a 2400# tongue weight, and I had a #3000 block of concrete in the back strapped on. Drivers seat wasn't so bad..wasn't great...but the passengers needed a kidney transplant when we got home. Should have poured the block heavier...

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
People are saying it's not that bad in the same manner as they say IPAs are delicious.

They take a sip, and immediately you can see the desperate look in their eyes. Their throat quivers as they try to suppress the gag reflex. Their eyes begin to water. Then their lip twitches and their face begins to turn a shade of red. With some effort they swallow, and with a breathless "AHHHHH!" they claim it's the most tastiest thing they have ever tasted ever.

The ride is not that bad because if you admitted to yourself it rides like it has square wheels, you would begin to hate the vehicle and ultimately begin to hate the whole camping experience.

IPAs are nice on road trips though, because after 3 beers, you have effectively drank a 6 pack of “normal” beer before you have to pull over and “check the tire pressure.”
Dammmit, now I’m going to think of med duty trucks when I crack open a frosty, cold, ummm…delicious? IPA!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, I have the 4.11 and with camper on I just figure 9.5. I tow a SxS 7x18 open trailer and figure 8.5.. so you're right in the ball park...I'm a diesel though..
You might tate a look at the extra fuel tank, I have 70+ and it's great on trips but not so great at the pump.. heheh..

Hope that helps..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the responses, I am gleaning that the 550 or 5500 is the safer option.

Also, that even loaded a washboard road will be jarring as the front of the truck is still lighter loaded than the rear.

I noticed that the gas models of these trucks force you to have 4.88 gears, at least Ford does, I dan’t imagine how that must impact mileage when freeway driving, even at just 65mph.

I’m currently getting 9 mpg with my Ford 350 with the 7.3 Godzilla and 4.30’s….I’d assume my mpgs would drop lower than that with 4.88’s.
2013 Eagle Cap 950

Empty 450/550's are brutal. Air suspensions solve that for the most part. A typical loaded truck (sprung) will be super smooth on the rear (unbelievable what can sit on the outside of the rack...like a partial pop can at the rear...and make it 40 miles home. But the drivers area will have a much more 'jarring' ride. i.e. don't try to write something on a pad...it will look like you have Parkinson's or drank to much coffee. It's not a bad ride, but it's not plush. Just isn't much weight on the front typically, and add the wheel style (19.5's) and the result resonates more.

With stock springs, when loaded, they ride firmer than a 350/3500. But that's partly because most of those are maxed out/overloaded.

We're over 19000 solo, usually 27, 28000 when pulling our trailer. Run the numbers, but I bet you'll find that the 450/4500 would have less room to wiggle. I know very few folks who end up weighing less than they thought, carrying less than they think they will, finding that they 'over did it'...

I haven't had a 450 since about 1996...everything since, and now (have three currently) is 550. It's about the spring pack..rest of the truck is pretty much the same.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have over 2,000 lbs additional payload after my camper is mounted. Nice margin and we can still consider towing a trailer with a weight distribution set-up. Empty or wash-board forest service roads requires a sports bra. Our suspension is factory stock with a 60" cab to axle wheelbase.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
They have a much higher GVWR compared to the pickup varieties, so yes, they have a rougher ride unloaded with much more capacity springs.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member