cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holy Chutzpa on the Surcharges Batman

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
So the 5th wheel is 4 years old. The price is within reason. So we make an appt. and take a look. The theater seats need to be replaced. Dinette table finish is toast. The TV is missing. But all okay if they'll make some allowances.

We sit down to talk. When the salesman finishes asking us about our trade in (2011 in reasonable condition for the age), he goes off for coffee with his boss. 15 minutes later, he comes back with the news that they won't make any money if he takes our unit in trade.

Now the really good part. $1000 charge if we don't finance through them. They call it a "Finance discount" if we do. The 90 minute PDI is called a "Peace of Mind Package" for $995. Best of all. "Factory Freight" for $990. IT'S A USED UNIT THEY TOOK IN TRADE! When did the factory get involved? Plus a doc fee of $468. $3453 in surcharges. And we have to sell our own unit. If I wanted to be an RV salesman, I would have found a different profession 40 years ago.

Without a word, we both stood up. "Thanks for your time sir. We are all done here."
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT
27 REPLIES 27

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Laughing in their face & letting them know that in 24 hours you can be still in town picking up the rig or 500 miles away looking at others gets their attention & a much sharper pencil.

Being in the middle of a soft buyers market & dealing with a rare upmarket rig is added incentive as well.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
you should have made up your counter offer . fee for shopping there store ,millage for driving there, your time,etc

Yup, and add on a bunch of things you found wrong with it. Do it right and you can make the salesman cry and thank you for taking it off of his hands.lol
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I liked where they wanted to sell me added insurance for $5000.00 when the new trailer I bought already had factory insurance for three years. I refused the offer and was bombarded with the salesman's pitch for 40 minutes before he finally pushed a paper in front of me to sign off on the offer.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Re Reading this thread I am reminded of a campground chain KOA
Though the name means Kampgrounds Of America

Most RVers call it "Keep On Adding"
SLides +++
Air conditioners +++
Pets +++
And so on and so forth.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

brainpause
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
We just bought our 2008 from a local dealer. He knew I was serious when I pulled out my moisture meter and said this needs to be fixed here and here, and this is what I'll offer you for it. He took my offer and agreed to make the repairs. Called me twice to come up and see the coach while it was apart in the shop so I could see they were fixing it correctly. Took delivery last weekend.

A recent Wells Fargo dealer survey published in the new issue of RV Business shows that 15% of dealers saw a DECREASE in sales during the pandemic. Makes you wonder how anybody could see a sales decrease in the hottest market in the history or RVs EVER, then I read stories like this and understand who the 15% of dealers are...

What brand of moisture meter do you recommend? It sounds like people favor the ones that don't have pins

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
I agree, vote with your feet and your dollars. The sellers of anything will learn soon enough potential customers have become extremely annoyed at price gouging.

With the stock market tanking and gas prices rocketing, I think it's going to be a long dark spring for the RV dealers that aren't willing to work with customers.
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree, vote with your feet and your dollars. The sellers of anything will learn soon enough potential customers have become extremely annoyed at price gouging.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
In 2004, we bought a new Class C from a local dealer and had been happy with their prices and service; so when we pondered buying a new TT, I talked to a salesperson at that same dealership. Clearly, things had changed in 10 years, and "because I was a returning customer, they would cut their $4000 in upcharges, in half" for me.

Needless to say when I found the same trailer, used, at another dealer who had zero upcharges (Curtis Trailers in Schoolcraft, MI - gotta give them a shoutout because they were so pleasant to deal with!) I immediately purchased it.

I didn't bother to yell or insult the first dealer - I simply choose to vote with my feet.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lwiddis wrote:
Delicensing is an extreme punishment. Highly unlikely without multiple violations over a long period.

And more importantly, it requires them to do something illegal. Asking for more cash while potentially sleezy, isn't generally illegal.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's a Holiday World and a Camping World near me and they have plenty of new inventory. You may have to look beyond your area for acceptable deals.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Delicensing is an extreme punishment. Highly unlikely without multiple violations over a long period.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Not saying I agree with what they are doing (I wouldn't run a business that way), but it is a sellers market.

FWIW, I doubt there has ever been a better time for you to sell your own RV outright. Buying right now is tough, regardless of what you are looking for. There just is no inventory.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
I think you need to contact the Department of motor vehicles in the state where that dealer needs to be de-licensed.

With 30 dealerships, I highly doubt they are doing anything illegal to warrant de-licensing.

I agree these additive costs are ridiculous though.

Run Forrest Run

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
First time dealing with a used car salesman?

That was my thought.

40yrs ago buying my first pickup as a teenager, my Dad made sure to clarify at the beginning prices are out the door with no extras to be added later.

Largely solves this BS. First time they start talking about extras, remind them that they were providing an out the door price...taxes, title, delivery, prep...everything.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV