Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dog attack in Lancaster CA
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dog attack in Lancaster CA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/22 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Kills one at RV camp

If you wonder where Lancaster is, as I did, it is 20 miles NW of LA in the desert.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since when is tweakers in homeless camps and their news RV related?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sensational headlines don’t tell the full story

Quote:

According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the situation unfolded with a fight between the victim and another man outside of a motor home. At some point, the other man’s pit bull got loose and attacked the victim and several others.

The victim was able to walk away, but then later fell to the ground unconscious, the sheriff’s department said. He was taken to a nearby hospital, where he died. His name was not released.

Three other people were treated at the scene for injuries by L.A. County Fire Department paramedics.

The victim is not believed to have died from a dog bite, the sheriff’s department said. Hospital staff believe he may have suffered from some kind of medical emergency. The coroner will determine his exact cause of death.

The owner of the dog has been detained. The dog, who was not hurt, was seized by L.A. County Animal Care and Control.
Link

It seems to me the dog was being protective of its owner as opposed to a dog randomly attacking people.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PitBull! You can almost guarantee it when reading about a dog attack and serious injuries or death.

IMHO there are many other dogs in this world to choose from and this breed should not be breathing the air we breathe.

GREAT dog until they attack.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dog appears to be living in a rough encampment. I wonder what drugs the dog was given and/or what mental illness it was suffering.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/22 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for headlines are they ever accurate?

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/22 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago, I was attacked by a pit bull. I came off lucky -- only a bite in the thigh. I was able to stay on my feet until the owner could pull the dog off, exclaiming "he's never done that before".

When I contacted my representative on my city council about a possible city ordinance to limit pit bulls, I was told there was a strong pro-pit-bull lobby that would make it impossible to pass such an ordinance.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A better approach is to strengthen liabilities/penalties for the owners of dogs that bite in unprovoked situations, regardless of the breed. Popular breeds for “tough dogs” change over time, the above type of penalty covers any breed now or in the future.

A yellow lab was the most aggressive dog in a neighborhood we lived in; it would go after anyone on the road in front of its house, leaving its yard. Limiting pit bulls would be of no help here.

* This post was edited 02/23/22 10:16am by BCSnob *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

A few years ago, I was attacked by a pit bull. I came off lucky -- only a bite in the thigh. I was able to stay on my feet until the owner could pull the dog off, exclaiming "he's never done that before".

When I contacted my representative on my city council about a possible city ordinance to limit pit bulls, I was told there was a strong pro-pit-bull lobby that would make it impossible to pass such an ordinance.

That's the whole point "it's never done that before"

I would own the owner and demand it be put down.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While “it’s never done that before”, I’m certain there have been obvious signs it would do it with the right triggering event but the owner was oblivious to those signs (owner negligence).

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dog attack in Lancaster CA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.