Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: RVing to Washington DC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RVing to Washington DC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/22 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lancewgurel wrote:

I think this is an appropriate place to note how accommodating Cracker Barrel Restaurants are on our travels. Last time we stopped, there were 30+ RVs. Most recently, we've overnighted with them in Fort Myers and Miami FL. I haven't used them in the DC area, but expect to next time we pass through.

Not for a 7 day stay like the OP is doing.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

rfloyd99

Colorado & Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/22 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP again. Thanks for the input on Greenbelt. I've booked three nights there, roughly half our stay in the area. No hookups is fine for us, up to about 4-5 days, since I'm hopefull AC won't be a necessity at night.
We removed the TV from our RV, so lights and water pump are about all we use. I installed two golf cart batteries a few years ago, and we've never had a problem being unhooked for a few days, as long as we don't need AC.

Still open for suggestions about places to stay, things to see and do in DC, Annapolis, central/southern Deleaware.

Thanks!

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/22 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will not have any issues finding things of interest. You could easily spend the entire visit in the Smithsonian museums including Air and Space and National History Museums. Other museums include the Hirshhorn, National Gallery of Art, and specialized national museums for women's art, Asian art, African American Art and many others. Don't forget the Washington and Lincoln Monuments. There is even a substantially size zoo. Do a little research and decide how to pare down all of the choices to what you can handle in that limited time period. Wear good shoes.

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/22 05:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will also say Cherry Hill

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/22 06:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the reasons to stay at Cherry hill is they cater to tourist. They have night tours leaving from the CG. They have tourist info , brochures,and employees who can steer you in the right direction.
You will not get that at Greenbelt Park. Since you have limited time Cheery hill will be able to maximise that time vs. you figuring it out as best you can.
Granted exploring and figuring it out is all part of the adventure!
Nevertheless Cherry Hill is built around what you are trying to accompllish.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/22 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delaware seashore state park is right next to rohobith. You can walk to the beach, but it fills up quickly for the summer. A bit cramped, but nice if you want to look at the water at night. Its basicly on the inlet and there is a bridge you can walk on. Windy as its basicly ocean block. Plus its cheap for full hook ups. Assateague State Park is like 45 mins south of there. But its not delaware, ots Maryland. Thats the park with the wild horses on the beach.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/22 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

One of the reasons to stay at Cherry hill is they cater to tourist. They have night tours leaving from the CG. ......

That might appeal to some, but during the ongoing Covid pandemic getting on a crowded bus at $120/couple and touring the monuments in the evening would not appeal to me.

Whether I stayed at Cherry Hill or Greenbelt, I would prefer to stay downtown for dinner, tour the monuments in the evening and return on the Metro which is likely to be virtually empty.

Once you visit, getting tourist information is not an issue. I would suggest doing some advance research to pick attractions that are most interesting and convenient for you.

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/22 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Little Bennett Campground is a regional park in Clarksburg MD along I270 a few miles north of the Shady Grove metro station (Red Line). I don’t know what this park is like; it does have pull through water/electric sites. It puts you on the north side of DC close to I70 for going west and not far from access to the end if a metro line. I think it’ll be a 20min ride on the metro into DC.

Our daughter graduated from American University in D.C. We stayed at Cherry Hill once, but afterwards opted for Little Bennett Campground. It is wooded and once you were back there among the tall trees, there was absolutely no road noise or anything to indicate you were in the midst of a metropolitan area. It was a brief drive to the Shady Grove station, but we often opted to drive. In the four years our daughter was there, we learned our way around the city. We made it a point to do something different with every trip.

At that time, there were no pull throughs or full hookups but that may have changed by now. It was a wonderful respite in the area.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/22 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how many of the responders here have actually spent time in the DC area. Helps to know your way around from those that have spent a lot of time or lived there and not just read about it in a brochure. One thing for sure driving any where in that area is awful and parking is worse.....

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/22 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

One thing for sure driving any where in that area is awful and parking is worse.....
Agreed. My commute towards DC is ~1hr one way

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RVing to Washington DC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.