Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Doing without propane
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Doing without propane

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Brownleaf

Durham

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I eat alot raw and enjoy use of the microwave. For heat would there not be possible alternatives for a small 24 ft. motorhome? I have never tried anything but propane and would want something very safe. I guess there would be no other options for "dry camping" Long range I will get a new propane tank just exploring alternatives. Doug

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look up portable IH cooker.

Of course youll also need power suply to use it,such as Jackerry or Bluetti rechargable generator.
I see many rvers using just that.
Example

https://youtu.be/6KgW7OQDsTk

https://youtu.be/VAhbMuXScqc

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not that I can think of unless you install a little wood burner and heat with wood or have enough battery capacity to heat that way which would be very expensive.
You the guy with the rusted out LP tank?
Have you considered a storage area in the RV that you could modify to accept 20lb or 30lb portable LP bottles? Basically just needs to be sealed from the interior with open air ventilation. Piping and hoses shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

Another option that would use electricity, but near as much as electric heat could be a pellet stove? Quick check, saw a wall mount pellet stove that was 27x36 x 12" deep. Heats 1000sf, so you could run it very low to heat a couple hundred sf?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you in a situation where you have an under-floor propane tank that is bad and need expensive replacement so now is the time to ask this question?

OR new bbq tank for $40 full?

Keep the propane onboard for the heat, that furnace is so easy and already safe.

Use the stove, it is already there, yes it takes a little longer, but no need to run a generator. If you like cranking a generator to heat a plate then fine too.

The Buddy heater will be maxed out for a 24 foot camper, but use at night in a closed bedroom with window cracked for safety and a CO alarm you will be fine.
Buddy does put out humidity so room will be more humid and you will get condensation on walls that can lead to mold if used a lot.

If you were building from scratch it is one thing, but you have an RV built for propane, use it. what about the fridge, you don use a fridge?

Brownleaf

Durham

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IH cooker looks interesting but no good for dry camping. Right now my onan gen is no good so no genset either. Depending on the weather maybe I would not need a heater on some nights with this global warming. I do camp between Dec and March only. But only in very southern desert country. Doug

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, your options are really just propane. You can use the 1lb cans for a buddy heater or similar, or use the 20lb bbq tanks that fit your RV. Make the 20lb tank happen.
You need batteries for boondocking multiple days and also solar. solar is fine in southern states in the winter depending on your needs. It works for me even in the forest, which of course is leafless in winter.

Two golf cart batteries are a good investment and are more robust than the marine battery.
The lithium batteries are low enough price that if you camp a lot it can be worth the investment assuming you will stay with it 5-10 years.

Again, solar. Do not get the flexible panels, glass only. 200-400 watts is typical, and an MPPT controller that fits the system. Go 24 volt and let the controller change it to 12. By going 24 you use smaller wire from the panels to the inside controller and the controller is always supplied more than 14 volts. This is running two panels in series. Panels are 18 volts, so thats really 36 volts in series, but it is still called 24 volts. dont try to understand this.

Brownleaf

Durham

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do you carry and connect the portable lp tank to the inside heater safely? Solar I will look into. Does not solar compromise roof integrity? Doug

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/22 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brownleaf wrote:

How do you carry and connect the portable lp tank to the inside heater safely? Solar I will look into. Does not solar compromise roof integrity? Doug
High pressure propane needs to stay out of the living space. Need a regulator to drop the pressure and connect to the existing main distribution line.

Solar is fine on a good roof.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have an alternative for cooking (like an electric cooktop or small propane bottles), there are gasoline or diesel powered heaters that can heat your RV.

Webasto is one popular brand.

Eberspacher is another brand.

But it's not a cheap solution, figure around $1500 - $2000 for the heater, plus installation.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/22 12:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brownleaf wrote:

If that is a question, scratch my ideas.
Big Buddy heater and a 20lb bottle it is. No assembly required. You’ll have to deal with condensation though.
Solar ain’t gonna cut it without much more expensive and technical additions than plumbing in a LP bottle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Doing without propane
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.