Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Right truck and camper setup for a northern Alaskan winter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Right truck and camper setup for a northern Alaskan winter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/22 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Im surprised no camper manufacturer offers diesel heater such as Webasto or Espar.

No typical RV appliances work on diesel, so if you had a gasoline truck, you'd have gasoline, propane, and diesel to carry with you.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/22 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can I ask the stupidest question in the world? What do the animals do when it's that cold?

Thanks for the answers. I had no idea! It is an amazing world is it not. I did ten years in the navy in Norfolk VA and was on a destroyer. We always were sent to the middle east and being from NYC it was hot to me but I adapted as mentioned. The few things I did see in my travels were whales, Many whales in their natural habitat. Dolphins, Stingrays etc... I was lucky because I didn't party much back in those days "that's pretty much what the cold war sailor did". LOL, so when we put into port I went ashore looking for sites to see. I saw many!!! My best times were snorkeling in pristine water. Now I sit in front of a computer.... It's an amazing world gentlemen!

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/22 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

notsobigjoe wrote:

Can I ask the stupidest question in the world? What do the animals do when it's that cold?

People adapt to cold or extremes in temperatures, too. While I was in college I worked at a market similar to 7/11. My job to stock the 38 degree cooler, but also, I kept the bathrooms clean and cleaned up outside including sweeping at what ever temperature it happened to be. It was frequently near or over 100 during the summer.

When I started, I wore a jacket to go into the cooler. By the time that I worked there for a while, I went in to the cooler with just a short sleeve light shirt with no issues. I also wore that same shirt outside. I remember that year I never got cold the entire Winter no matter if I was walking or standing still while hunting. The point being even fragile humans have the ability to adapt.

Animals can adapt quite a bit with their fur coats and/or layers of fat. Even birds or bees have survival mechanisms like huddling together and are mostly good as long as they aren't wet. Youtube and other shows like Discovery etc go into details. Over time, the animals that can adapt stay there and the ones that can't simply die off.

welsteach

AK

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/22 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have camped in Alaska in -20F in our Bigfoot 2500. We were warm but shot through propane like water. Also, -40 is a no flow in the propane. You would need hookups and an electric space heater as well as bottled water for that (so as not to burst pipes in basement that gets no heat without a furnace blowing. It could be sone with a homemade build designed for winter and a mini wood stove.

restlessways

Limbo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/22 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

So right off the bat, it seems you have a misconception that a truck camper means you need a DRW truck. Yet you also seem to be looking for a basic camper which would naturally be lighter in weight, and not requiring a DRW truck, even for "safety."

A DRW truck is not the best choice to be exploring the Alaskan wilderness. An SRW truck's rear wheels follow in the same track as the front wheels, making traveling through deep snow and mud much easier. Each tire on a DRW cuts its own rut, so six ruts vs. two. Takes a lot more power and effort to charge through tough going, if you can make it at all. My DRW is helpless in deep snow, and it's a 4x4 with aggressive tires. Once the rear wheels hit deep snow, it stops. I can back right out, but the front end won't pull the whole truck through.

Ultimately what's "best" is entirely up to you. Everyone has their own idea of "best."

I have seen people say this but it's never been my experience. While I do agree that the rear tires have to cut their own tracks which translates into a different type of handling, I have never had traction problems with my duallies in snow, off road, etc. I run aggressive tires as well.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Loaded with camper, my truck rarely needs 4wd. Unloaded, I need 4wd sometimes just to get out of my driveway with DRW.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/22 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know nothing about Alaska except I want to go there.
The OP: If you do Facebook look at sites for Northern Lite and Bigfoot.
I'm obviously biased to Bigfoot but look at the issues the new Northern Lite's are having.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Right truck and camper setup for a northern Alaskan winter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.