cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route Apache Junction AZ to El Paso TX in October

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for the best route from Apache Junction, AZ to El Paso with a 36 DP and toad. I’m looking at 60 to Globe, 70 to Safford, then 191 down to I-10.

Can I avoid the Winslow to Payson type route this year without going west to I-10 like I’ve done in the past without adding a day to the route

I did do 87 from Winslow down to Payson and then down to Phoenix with the N Bush Highway to the 202 last year and one section of that I do not want again. That was the section down to Payson. I’ll go back to Holbrook and take 377 to 260 to Payson.

Will I avoid the very narrow curves like last year going the proposed route. Will take options if there are any.

Thanks for the help.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi
8 REPLIES 8

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver2 wrote:
If you are not in a hurry and want to see scenery, just stay on 70 to Lordsburg instead of taking 191 south.
This is what I did a year or so back -- a very easy run, no major climbs/descents. 70 is a lot easier than the traffic mess on I-10, so deleting a few miles of that was a bonus.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
To clarify a little my destination is actually just north of Tampa and from Gilbert it doesn’t make sense to go back to I-40 which I like better than I-10

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
202 to I-10 if going to ElPaso. If just riding and sight seeing------

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not in a hurry and want to see scenery, just stay on 70 to Lordsburg instead of taking 191 south.
Turret Class traveler

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
dalenoel wrote:
Looking for the best route from Apache Junction, AZ to El Paso with a 36 DP and toad. I’m looking at 60 to Globe, 70 to Safford, then 191 down to I-10.

Can I avoid the Winslow to Payson type route this year without going west to I-10 like I’ve done in the past without adding a day to the route

I did do 87 from Winslow down to Payson and then down to Phoenix with the N Bush Highway to the 202 last year and one section of that I do not want again. That was the section down to Payson. I’ll go back to Holbrook and take 377 to 260 to Payson.

Will I avoid the very narrow curves like last year going the proposed route. Will take options if there are any.

Thanks for the help.

I have been taking that hywy 60 route for years. Its a nice drive and i believe I actually save about 75 miles vs taking the 202 to I-10 and then east to EL paso
Kennyg

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just take the 202 to I10 and be done with it? Unless you're looking to sightsee, the fastest, easiest and least hassle is the 10.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, did not think of looking for videos.,

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
it's been a while but as far as I can recall the only issue is a climb on 60 approaching Globe. no big deal. beyond that the remainder is unremarkable.

update: found these videos for you on YouTube.

EB US 60 Chandler AZ to Globe AZ

US 70 Safford to Globe

Safford to Wilcox on 191
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle