cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving tomorrow 13 degrees.

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
I’m leaving Massachusetts tomorrow for our inaugural trip in our Winnebago Itasca, Sunstar 30T. I was told that filling the freshwater tank is okay if the heat is on to at least 55 degrees. Now that I’ve done this I fear I’ve made a mistake.

Please advise, should I flush the whole system?

Thank you
2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250
13 REPLIES 13

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
FLHTCI wrote:
I’m leaving Massachusetts tomorrow for our inaugural trip in our Winnebago Itasca, Sunstar 30T. I was told that filling the freshwater tank is okay if the heat is on to at least 55 degrees. Now that I’ve done this I fear I’ve made a mistake.

Please advise, should I flush the whole system?

Thank you

FLHTCI....Well, what did you decide to do and how did it work out for you?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
What I would do (Actually what I did)

Leave winterized. carry 5 or 10 gallons INSIDE the RV (Jerry can, or Collaspable bottle from Coleman portable propane water heater (look it up you can get the bottles most anywhere) .. Once you are far enough south.. Hook up a filter to a water supply and tank up.

^^^This
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We left our upstate NY site on January 9th with the temp at 11 degrees F. Before we pulled out I dumped the waste tanks and topped off the fresh tank. We didn't see consistently above freezing temps until southern GA and never had a problem while getting there.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What I would do (Actually what I did)

Leave winterized. carry 5 or 10 gallons INSIDE the RV (Jerry can, or Collaspable bottle from Coleman portable propane water heater (look it up you can get the bottles most anywhere) .. Once you are far enough south.. Hook up a filter to a water supply and tank up.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
I have made two trips to Florida most winters in my Sunseeker Class C from northern NJ since 2013. There have been a couple of times where I have not dewinterized until there (it was single digits when departing - I'd have gotten frostbite on my fingers), but have successfully flushed the tank and piping as well as filled up with fresh water with the NJ weather at home an ambient 20 degrees but at least sunny. I do have the advantage of the water tank located within the house under the bed, and holding tanks enclosed above the chassis frame rails beneath the bedroom and bathroom floor(s).

Driving down the road, exhaust and rear axle heat will convect very well up through the floor, so no freezing issues at pretty much any east coast outside temp. When stopping overnight, I always have the goal of getting south enough to be above freezing. That hasn't always been the case, but with where my tanks are as well as running the house furnace, which has perforated ducts through the holding tank area, I've never had any issue even with temps in the low 20's.

I've also stuck a ceramic heater in the compartment where the water pump and low point drain plumbing is in super cold weather; there's an exterior 110v outlet not far away, routing the power cord through the door only latching one side, and run the generator overnight to blast the plumbing with heat. That arrangement I'd guesstimate would be good down to about 0 degrees in mine.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
My Winnebago has a road heater on the lower dash. The engine coolant circulates all the way to my water heater and is fan blown.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I am less adventurous than most of you. I would have it winterized until I met warmer temps. Coming back from a FL trip to MD one year in a previous MH, we hit a nasty storm. 19 degrees. An hour later my water pump in the basement was frozen despite having the heat on.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the furnace working and you'll be fine.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
FLHTCI,

I am also in SE MI (like Old Wizard). Our climate is not that different than MA. I know, I am a refugee from the east coast Megeapolis. If you keep the temperature in the coach comfortable, there is no reason to drain the tanks.

Be sure to have enough LP for heat in case you get stopped. but other than that there is little to worry about. Yes, you might like to leave cabinets that contain water lines open.

If you should find an open cramp ground to stop at that might freeze, fill the potable tank and run from that. If you have to get out the potable water hose and are not sure it is going to stay warm, drain it before you stow it. If it gets to freeze, it is a problem.

Unless you run a great deal of water, the black tank will not freeze, but the gray can. That can often be (capriciously) dumped into a storm sewer.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You’ll be surprised how warm the basement stays even in cold weather when on the road.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We have relatives in Massachusetts and they are predicted to get to 10 degrees Fahrenheit tonight. I would run an small electric heater on low or medium in my sewer drain pipe area. I would open all cabinets and sink and shower doors as well as leaving the thermostat set on 45 or so. Run the water heater to temp if you have water in your fresh water tank.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you keep the belly warm and keep some heat going inside as well (open all the cabinets where any water lines might be located) then you will be fine. It doesn't need to be 65, but around 40 is pretty safe. The water tank itself is unlikely to have issues as the warmth of the water will help keep temps more stable in the belly area. IF, IF, you have NO exposed sewer drain pipes or these pipes have no fluid in them then they are OK at any temperature but once you flush you will have to keep all drain pipes exposed to those kinds of temps warm as well. Once you get away from the 17's and into the 35's then you are good to go for most anything you like.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Drain, yes. Flush not required.