Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Weigh Station ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Weigh Station ??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

way2roll wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Why is this even a conversation? Non commercial RV's do not need to stop at weigh stations. Period. There is no "what if you are wrong".

You can’t just make a blanket statement like that, it’s wrong. Period.

I personally saw a DP MH get run down by a LEO that came out of an open scale when it tried to drive past it in Michigan.

Since you didn't get pulled over personally you actually have no idea why the particular RV you saw was being pulled over. Maybe he was speeding, maybe he was involved in an incident previously and was radioed in, maybe he had a baggage door open, maybe the Unicorn on his roof was shooting rainbow lasers. The point is you don't know and making the assumption.

How happy do you think the trucking industry and supply chain commerce in general would be if all the sudden all RV's started to clog up weigh stations?

In that case the reason was reasonably obvious, it was a large DP with large trailer travelling in a convoy of a dozen C’s and small A’s and TT’s, all Canadian vehicles enroute to the fly-in at Osh Kosh WI. We were told later it was a ‘routine stop’ and the driver was admonished to obey the signs in the future.

As for clogging weigh stations, I’m pretty sure most commercial drivers would welcome the sight of a scale clogged with RV’s and trucks having to by-pass the scale because of it.

^^^^^^^Not This^^^^^^^^^^
See a weigh station, pass it by! If some crazy LEO wants to have you return to the weigh station, what do you think they are hoping to accomplish? Are there really that many overweight RV's out there that LEO's would waste their time chasing them down while ignoring the overweight and/or over worked CDL drivers? I don't think so!

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/22 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Why is this even a conversation? Non commercial RV's do not need to stop at weigh stations. Period. There is no "what if you are wrong".

You can’t just make a blanket statement like that, it’s wrong. Period.

There are numerous states require all RVs over 10,000 pounds to stop. Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Rhode Island, Washington (State), and Wisconsin require private RVs, specialty vehicles, passenger vehicles, and trailers over 10,000 lbs to stop.

I personally saw a DP MH get run down by a LEO that came out of an open scale when it tried to drive past it in Michigan.
Georgia does not want your rv at the scales. You just get in the way.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/22 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think what a bunch of you, being an honest person like me, don’t realize just how many less than honest folks there are out there.

For every rule or law there are 10 people trying to make an end run around it.

Folks using an “RV” as a commercial vehicle or for other illegal purposes is rampant these days. Everything from transporting people ‘under the radar’ to pet transportation and commercial boat / ATV / PWC / etc transportation.

Thinking about it from a ‘business’ point of view, no commercial truck insurance, no paperwork (permits, logs, etc) of any kind, no hotel or motels costs …… it would make a marginal thing profitable by under-cutting the legitimate operators.

As always, it only takes a few bad apples.

Rickyrocket

Coventry,RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/22 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been driving tractor trailer since '88,I've never seen a RV Get pulled into or chased down,the only RV'S I see that could be targeted are the 5ers being pulled by a over the road tractor.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TC&Z wrote:

We were driving our 38 ft Class A MH West on I-20. As we entered MS a sign said "All Vehicles Over 5 Tons Must Enter". I didn't. Surely they meant DOT vehicles and trucks, right? Is a RV ever required at a Weigh Station? Not that i am aware of. Thanks.....

IMO, this is a free learning opportunity for you. I haven't been through every weigh station throughout the USA, but, many of the ones I have been through visually post your axle weights as you drive over the scale. If not, you can park after the scale, then, go in and ask them. This is VALUABLE information. IMO, as the operator of your vehicle, you should ALWAYS know your current axle weights and compare those against what is stated on the placard in your MH. Not knowing is just plain irresponsible.

Chum lee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Weigh Station ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.