Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Air Bags
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Air Bags

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/22 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Braided lines aren’t necessary.
I would get the smaller bags,

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/22 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

Boomerweps wrote:

There are other options. Timbrens, SumoSprings, RAS. All will lessen sag, and no air lines needed, mostly install and forget. You can adjust the RAS to bring back a little unloaded rake and set it for various levels of weight help.

I have tried Googling RAS and nothing comes back. Could you tell me what that is please.

Bokmerweps doesn’t understand what you’re trying to do and probably has zero experience with a leveled truck.
You want bags. The rest of the products are great but either will Add spring rate in unloaded condition if you’re preventing any sag, or properly installed, will allow a little sag before they kick in and defeat the purpose of what you’re trying to accomplish.
Perfect example, my wife’s truck is leveled. (Lifted and level). Any real load and she’s got her nose to the sky. 28’ trailer with 5 sleds in it yesterday. I put 8-10psi in the bags before hooking it up. It counteracts that inch or 2 of initial softer squishier spring rate. Frankly drives and handles the same with or without. I just happened to be airing up a few tires so I threw some air in the bags. Otherwise I would have hooked and hooked if I hadn’t had to open the shop and pullout the air hose.
PS I know you understand this. Trying to help the folks who will inevitably turn your question into a 4 page debate and argument! Lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/22 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAS is the Roadmaster suspension aide. It “may” actually do what you want, although I haven’t used it before. Idk if it will take enough load on initial spring travel to help.
Also over 50% more expensive than bags without the ability to adjust them quickly as air.

Bags are what you want. Get the cheapest set of 5k bags you can find on the Amazonweb and they will serve you well for years. Only set of bags that wore out and popped were from about 03-04. Sold the truck 2 years ago, guy said he lost a bag last summer. So 17 ish years?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/22 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

Boomerweps wrote:

There are other options. Timbrens, SumoSprings, RAS. All will lessen sag, and no air lines needed, mostly install and forget. You can adjust the RAS to bring back a little unloaded rake and set it for various levels of weight help.

I have tried Googling RAS and nothing comes back. Could you tell me what that is please.

Roadmaster Active Suspension

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/22 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks MFL

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/22 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

Boomerweps wrote:

Roadmaster active suspension, made by Supersprings, who also make the Sumo Springs. The RAS is an adjustable coil spring that has fittings to link from the rear shackle to over the main spring perch. Many also report that it has some anti sway action, like a sway bar does, by controlling axle wrap.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/22 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boomerweps wrote:

I put Timbrens on my 2015 shortly after I bought it and they've been trouble free and help firm up the ride when I'm loaded heavy. I've been very happy with them. You can't beat the simplicity.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/22 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boomerweps wrote:

Roadmaster active suspension, Many also report that it has some anti sway action, like a sway bar does, by controlling axle wrap.

Axle wrap and body roll are mutually exclusive and not at all related.
I could see the RAS helping a bit with body roll and a bit with axle wrap, but it has nowhere near the same effect as linking both sides together with a sway bar and geometrically far less leverage than other products that control axle wrap.
In the end, it mostly just adds spring rate.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Air Bags
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.