cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crank style Roof lift system requires physical assistance

DixieWanderer
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased previously owned 2005 Jayco Jay Series model 1206 . Have encountered most recent issue of when cranking roof/top up one corner seems to bind and requires physical human assistance to go up. We encountered the same issue with closing it down. It took all my 230# husbands weight to get it to close (on the same corner). We just retired and aren’t as physically capable as when we were young! The owners manual indicates it has 1 cable on the corner of the cranking mechanism & to be sure not to over tighten. That cable is not in place & is not visible. In a video I saw a man manually tightening and loosing bolts to adjust 4 cables inside what appears to be the wooden “step” inside at the end of the camper bed. There is no access to this area on our camper. We have been trying to learn this cute little camper at home before we take it out. This is one of 3-4 issues we’ve encountered. The others are fixed and we’re not cheap. If anyone has any suggestions we are happy to hear them! Also, if you have any idea if one or 4 cables?? Any idea of cost for a professional to repair? Thank you for any and all help! Theresa & Jim
4 REPLIES 4

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a couple of different lift systems so not sure if yours is the same as ours was, but we had a couple of grease fittings underneath that once we greased it, it became much easier to crank.
Also the one we had you could upgrade to an electric lift. I never did since it was like $400, but might be worth looking into.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

DixieWanderer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both for lending your expertise to helping resolve our problem! Yes, we are definitely going to have our local RV repair service check this out for us! We will definitely got to popuportal.com we expect to need lots of advice and tips!! Thank you!!

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
My first thought is that the cable has jumped off a pulley and is wedged beside it. I recommend that you go to https://www.popupportal.com/, a site for those that own popup campers. There are some very experienced members there.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
When I can’t fix something (or am too concerned to try) I get estimates from two or three pros. Mobile techs in your area is where I’d start.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad