cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transeagle 14ply tires

wingcat
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone heard of or run these Transeagle tires on their Fifth Wheel? Our local tire dealer is recommending them to me. We have the Goodyear Endurance tires which came on our Pinnacle now but really want to go to a G rated tire. The load range is over 4000 per tire.
Opinions?
2017 F-350 Lariat SB CC 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
1971 Corvette Convertible
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
34 REPLIES 34

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Good load capacity and however the tire is a 255/85 series tire with a 33.1" diameter vs the 30.8" for the 235/80 series.... or 31.7" for the 235/85 series tire.
Tandem and triaxle trailer owner would have to watch tire gap issues with these tall tires depending on the trailers axle locations.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
wingcat wrote:
Has anyone heard of or run these Transeagle tires on their Fifth Wheel? Our local tire dealer is recommending them to me. We have the Goodyear Endurance tires which came on our Pinnacle now but really want to go to a G rated tire. The load range is over 4000 per tire.
Opinions?

OK your RV came with the best tire out there and you want to change??? Please explain why. Are you over the tires capacity? Have you weighed your axles? What tire size do you have now?

Let's put it this way your tire dealer wants to sell you what makes him the most money.

The GY Endurance ST255/85R16 LRE has a load capacity of 4080# at 80 PSI.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Having 3 axles over 2 axles, does not reduce the pin weight. What will reduce pin weight is to move the axles farther forward or add weight to the rear of the trailer."

You are the exception with a triple axle RV most are under 20% pin. Do you have a Gen, WD or big battery bank?

No generator, only four 6-volt batteries in the front left corner and the washer/drier is just forward of the left front axle and it is not a toy Hauler.

Ken

You simply have a high quality HEAVY RV that is not the norm.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Having 3 axles over 2 axles, does not reduce the pin weight. What will reduce pin weight is to move the axles farther forward or add weight to the rear of the trailer."

You are the exception with a triple axle RV most are under 20% pin. Do you have a Gen, WD or big battery bank?

No generator, only four 6-volt batteries in the front left corner and the washer/drier is just forward of the left front axle and it is not a toy Hauler.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
joebedford said in earlier post, that his 6 tires carry 2,600 lbs each, so is triple axle.

Joes pin seems light, even for a triple at just over 16% on the pin. I think a TH, with lots of wt in the garage?

Hard to compare tires needed, between 2-3 axle application.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"However the fact that Jayco discovered their mistake in selecting a load E tire on 7k or 8k axles?? for this size trailer and now covering their mistake by going to a 17.5" load G commercial grade all steel carcass makes a much better tire selection."

Please tell us what "E" rated tire Jayco replaced to run the "G" ?

I am betting NOT the ENDURANCE as there have simply been no non road hazard failures.

Plenty or RV's are now using the ENDURANCE from the Factory.

If running Chinese tires sure you may want to run with a big reduction in what the charts say but quality tires can be ran at any pressure up to their MAX.

If I were running commercial trailers I would run something substantial like this. I am sure you would approve. This is my new tires and wheels for my 24k DRV.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
16,500# 5er sure does not have 4,125# on each:B tire. Did you forget to subtract a minimum of 4,125# for the pin and most likely more?
I have a 19,000 pound 5er with 3,080 on the pin. I think your calcs are off.

Wondering the same , must be that new math . :B

Read my above post.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
16,500# 5er sure does not have 4,125# on each tire. Did you forget to subtract a minimum of 4,125# for the pin and most likely more?

Is yours a triple axle? If not your pin is VERY low compared to MOST! that is simply a FACT.

Do you have scale print out showing this?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
TXiceman wrote:
"Jerry, have you had that trailer over the scales? My 19,000# three axle trailer has a pin weight of 4200# or 22% of the GVWR. And we are a bit over 19,000# but it has three Mor/Ryde IS 7000# axles and a 14" high Young's frame (not the 10" or 12" Lippert garbage).

Having 3 axles over 2 axles, does not reduce the pin weight. What will reduce pin weight is to move the axles farther forward or add weight to the rear of the trailer.

On another subject, I have run Hankook G rated tires on the trailer with zero issues. It now has Goodyear G614 G rated tires and zero issues in over 3 years."

Ken

Hey Ken...I think you may have misunderstood some of the posts?

Anyway, I was being a bit facetious in my post.

Jerry

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
bucky wrote:
Likes to tow wrote:
Yes they are and also they are made in the USA and are not considered "China bombs" like so many other ST brands

That's why I'm running them.
My Sailuns are so-called China Bombs, but not Viet Bombs. If you're familiar with Sailuns, the Chinese made tires are not subject to the same recall as the Vietnamese Sailuns.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
16,500# 5er sure does not have 4,125# on each:B tire. Did you forget to subtract a minimum of 4,125# for the pin and most likely more?

Kind of apples/oranges figuring pin/tire weights of double axle, vrs triple.

I can carry/tow that 19,000 lb FW with my F250, but not the 16,500. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jerry

Jerry, have you had that trailer over the scales? My 19,000# three axle trailer has a pin weight of 4200# or 22% of the GVWR. And we are a bit over 19,000# but it has three Mor/Ryde IS 7000# axles and a 14" high Young's frame (not the 10" or 12" Lippert garbage).

Having 3 axles over 2 axles, does not reduce the pin weight. What will reduce pin weight is to move the axles farther forward or add weight to the rear of the trailer.

On another subject, I have run Hankook G rated tires on the trailer with zero issues. It now has Goodyear G614 G rated tires and zero issues in over 3 years.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
16,500# 5er sure does not have 4,125# on each tire. Did you forget to subtract a minimum of 4,125# for the pin and most likely more?

Too funny as all I ever heard was the ENDURANCE was not on the mArket long enough. Back then the โ€œTHINโ€ tread was NOT an issue. Then a few years later the tread all of a sudden became an issue and that is all that can be said since the ENDURANCE has been on the market with a STELLAR RECORD for five years now.

Good trailer tire load selections are not made by subtracting the estimated pin weight and establishing the remaining number from gvwr as the load for proper tire selections. Don't forget the tire, unlike the truck, on a trailer need some load reserve capacity.

However the fact that Jayco discovered their mistake in selecting a load E tire on 7k or 8k axles?? for this size trailer and now covering their mistake by going to a 17.5" load G commercial grade all steel carcass makes a much better tire selection.

Goodyear Endurance is still the new kid on the block with only 5 years of service... IF you bought them 5 years ago.

Tread depth ?... has always been a issue with those of us who travel 10-15k miles per year. However for those that don't travel that much they should work fine on lighter weight trailers.
The Endurance seems to have a much better service record over Goodyears old Marathons however like Jayco the OP is making a much better choice in replacing the Endurance Load E tires for a trailer that size.

Several excellent made in china load G commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire brands on the road today on rv and especially commercial trailers.
No Goodyear tire hater here nor do I drink their koolaid or any just one tire brand is the best for all traiers...even boat trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
cummins2014 wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Kind of apples/oranges figuring pin/tire weights of double axle, vrs triple.

I can carry/tow that 19,000 lb FW with my F250, but not the 16,500. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jerry