Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dually life? What about Ford 6.2L
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dually life? What about Ford 6.2L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/22 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As my search for a replacement for my totaled F350 I see a number of RAM diesel 3500 duallys (2017) showing up at a very good price. One in particular a Laredo at 40K with all sorts of options.
I've never driven a drw before and it seems overkill for our 9K Trailer.
Are they that much harder to drive and park? What about mileage? Better than a gasser anyway I assume. We'll look at it Tuesday probably.
Lots of gas 6.2L around at a good price. And thoughts on that engine from owners?

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/22 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently bought a new F350 4X4 single tire with 6.2 for $43K. No it doesn’t have the power of a diesel but also not $80K. Use it mainly to pull a heavy trailer(15,000+ lbs) locally so only getting 5-6 mpg and the 10 speed takes a little getting used to but it does the job.
Gets down to how many miles/year you’ll be towing and you do not need a dually.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/22 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I've read the 6.2 is a solid reliable engine, but not tons of power. Fords new 7.3 gas seems to be a beast for a gas motor. It came out in 2020, so there are a few used ones out there. Unfortunately they are more than you can order a new one for.

Sorry your old truck got totaled, it's a rough time to need to buy a truck.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/22 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I can say about a dually is a friend took one for a test drive. A few blocks away at a Home Depot, he attempted to park. Three minutes later he parked...right back at the dealer lot. He bought a single wheel 3500 instead. If you don't need the extra payload capacity, why get the extra two wheels? That's just more money to shell out when you need tires. Just to let you know, once you own a diesel truck, you'll never go back to gas.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/22 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interested in your thoughts on what constitutes good prices on them 2017 Cummins Dooleys.
Dooley owners will tell you how it's not a big deal, hips aren't wider than the mirrors, blah blah blah. If you don't go to the city much, fine, prolly not much an issue.
Being totally overkill for your situation (as I perceive it), if it's basically a tow rig, I'd go for it if it was a "deal". If it's a daily more than a tow pig, I wouldn't downplay the inconvenience.
If you use car washes, you won't be able to anymore. If you like your Starclucks drive thru, you'll have to get your feet moving. For the last 2 years up here, if you want fast food, hope it fits in the drive thru, because all the fast food joints are closed to go indoors and order. But now that Covid is almost over here, lol, maybe you'll be able to buy a Big Mac and Fries if you own a dually.
Narrow driveway, no beuno.
But this is totally subjective and I'd hope you don't decide on a dually or not based on random folks telling you their opinion.

6.2 Ford gassers are pretty bulletproof. First several years, 250s and 350s got the same 6R140 trans as the diesels. Bulletproof trans as well and great shift programming.
At some point (2017 maybe) the F250s got a lighter duty version of the trans. Not that I've heard of problems, but just a FYI.
I had a 2012 and 2015 F250, 6.2, 3.73s. They would pull 14klb flatbeds with relative ease at low altitude, never ran em at high altitude. Typical gasser fuel mileage, but smooth and quiet, even when locked in a lower gear and running 4-5k rpms.
They pull better than a 6.0 GM gasser and probably not as good as a 6.4 8 speed Ram or certainly the 7.3 Ford.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/22 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

Recently bought a new F350 4X4 single tire with 6.2 for $43K. No it doesn’t have the power of a diesel but also not $80K. Use it mainly to pull a heavy trailer(15,000+ lbs) locally so only getting 5-6 mpg and the 10 speed takes a little getting used to but it does the job.
Gets down to how many miles/year you’ll be towing and you do not need a dually.

And if you got a diesel F350 DRW in the same trim level as your gas DRW it would only be $10K more not $37K more.
Geesh.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/22 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

All I can say about a dually is a friend took one for a test drive. A few blocks away at a Home Depot, he attempted to park. Three minutes later he parked...right back at the dealer lot. He bought a single wheel 3500 instead. If you don't need the extra payload capacity, why get the extra two wheels? That's just more money to shell out when you need tires. Just to let you know, once you own a diesel truck, you'll never go back to gas.

Well I guess he didn't think to park out and take two stalls. Walking is good. Or park one wheel up on the curb.

Two tires over 60k sure doesn't break the bank! especially when those tires are less $ than the 18's and 20's that come on the trucks these days.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/22 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pull the smallest outdoors rv trailer loaded its about 7000 pounds the Ford 6.2 engine pulls it great but in the mountains its working pretty hard. I see you own a Arctic Fox 25 foot trailer I wouldn't think you would need a Dually for that.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/22 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old Days wrote:

I pull the smallest outdoors rv trailer loaded its about 7000 pounds the Ford 6.2 engine pulls it great but in the mountains its working pretty hard. I see you own a Arctic Fox 25 foot trailer I wouldn't think you would need a Dually for that.

^ Agree with this. It tackles hills like any other gasser. Drop the hammer and watch the tachometer race the gas gauge.
Depends how much and where you pull the trailer as to how suitable the 6.2 is vs a diesel. And what your expectations are.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/22 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eight years of driving a dually and I don't give it much thought except when parking. I always do "dually parking" which means I find wide open spots far out and walk. If a person can't walk, then I'm guessing they have a handicap sticker and those spots are plenty wide. Remember, the dually is no wider than the trailer or the mirrors on a SRW truck.

I used the dually to pull a 6,000# travel trailer before the fifth wheel. Overkill? Yes. Downsides? None.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dually life? What about Ford 6.2L
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.