Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: New Outside Stairs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Outside Stairs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/22 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

If your talking about the "Solid Step" I wouldn't have them, RV came with them it would be a deal breaker. They fold inside so any debris, mud, water, snow or ice goes inside. They do make a mat to catch it all inside. Then there's the space issue can't open in parking spaces they hang over to the next spot. Try opening in a storage area with another right next to you, how do you load for travel without taking it from the storage?

Why is it that we don’t experience any problems with the solid steps having travelled over 25,000 miles and 342 nights. We don’t set up in mud and the broom takes all other things like sand. We park in rest areas without a problem even in truck stops.

* This post was edited 06/01/22 09:06am by an administrator/moderator *

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/22 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tartan camper wrote:

Another vote for the Torklift Glowstep Revolution - they are great steps, easy to deploy and they have adjustable supports for uneven ground. It took me about 20 minutes to make the change.

Another vote for them from me. I was able to install them by myself in about 15 minutes. They fold into the factory step well and are much easier on my knees than the higher, bouncier factory steps.

Takes just a little practice to learn to adjust them, but a big improvement for me, especially when loading and unloading the trailer or working on something where I’m up and down the stairs dozens of times in a day.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Camper445

Sticks

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/22 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

Edd505 wrote:

If your talking about the "Solid Step" I wouldn't have them, RV came with them it would be a deal breaker. They fold inside so any debris, mud, water, snow or ice goes inside. They do make a mat to catch it all inside. Then there's the space issue can't open in parking spaces they hang over to the next spot. Try opening in a storage area with another right next to you, how do you load for travel without taking it from the storage?

Why is it that we don’t experience any problems with the solid steps having travelled over 25,000 miles and 342 nights. We don’t set up in mud and the broom takes all other things like sand. We park in rest areas without a problem even in truck stops.

Maybe because you've never been on a campsite where there was 2' elevation difference front to back, in a storage yard where you have 30" of space to the rig beside you, or some other scenarios? Talk about non use opinions roflmao.

* This post was edited 06/01/22 09:08am by an administrator/moderator *

bsbeedub

Gateway to the West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/22 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here’s my story regarding the Torklift Revolution Uprising. This style folds into the trailer like the MORryde and not underneath into the stairwell since my trailer does not have one.

We were getting a new fifth wheel and I knew that it was coming with MORryde steps and I wouldn’t be able to open them in my storage area since it is quite tight. (I know some will say that’s a deal breaker for storage but it’s what I have. That’s not the issue here.)

I ordered the Torklift since they can be deployed at any depth. ( I sold the factory steps on Facebook Marketplace for a good price.) I put the Torklift steps on the day I got the trailer. Went to the storage spot and I never considered that the door was too wide to open completely! I wouldn’t be able to deploy them anyway! Darn it.

However, and there’s always a however in life, I would be able to use a step stool to get up and climb over them. (Another deal breaker for some. No big deal for me.) If I had the MORryde I would not have been able to do that so the Torklift worked for me in the end. All’s well that ends well.
We love the sturdiness and we deal with the 10 seconds it takes to sweep them off.

Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10’s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/22 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread has come back to life which gives me an opportunity to say how much we also like our TorkLift Uprising steps. Our fifth wheel came with the MorRyde steps and I didn't have enough room in our rv garage to lower them. The Uprising steps solved the problem. They are sturdy and cam be deployed in tight spaces. Also, with 5 steps they are pretty easy to climb.

What I did find when installing them is the frame well for the old style steps is still there hidden by some sheet metal. I actually considered trimming it back so I could mount a set of steps in the well but I felt it might not be good for resale down the road.

JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/22 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MorRyde steps are the devil's handiwork. Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/22 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

MorRyde steps are the devil's handiwork. Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.

Gotta like a man, that is decisive, likes/dislikes! [emoticon] [emoticon]

Jerry

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/22 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About the only benefit of the solid steps is for people with balance or walking/climbing problems. I'll take the 4-step fold-outs every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I've never had to move the trailer, or find a creative way into the trailer when using the fold-out steps.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/22 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IMHO too many negatives with the MORryde steps. One Larry pointed out to me recently was ya better remember to have your door open when lowering the RV to hitch. If the RV lowers enough the door will not open.

Good ol solid 4 step Elkhart Industries like I have or TorkLift are the only way to go.

200# on my bottom step and they only deflect 1/2".

[image]

Static loading maybe but even 1/2" can throw someone off and walking down them they can deflect more. We've had the 4 step cantilever style (yes, beefy and strong) and it's like using a diving board.

Vs 0" deflection.

Have you ever used a set of these stairs??? I mean specific brand and model???

If not you have no idea how solid these are. Solid as the Torklift or MORryde no but close enough.

MOST RV steps are very scary and are prone to slipping with them being wet. This extruded aluminum and grit pad will not allow a person to slip.

I can park anywhere and still get into my RV.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/22 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Have you ever used a set of these stairs??? I mean specific brand and model???

Yes, I have. The 4 step ones get a good diving board bounce.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Outside Stairs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.