Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The only real SRW “One Ton” that isn’t really a 3/4 ton
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > The only real SRW “One Ton” that isn’t really a 3/4 ton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/22 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joerg68 wrote:

Very nice automobile. But I doubt many modern campers will fit between those far aft wheel wells. The ones I had all were designed for the more common, forward position of the axle and got considerably wider in the back.


Might be right, but how much difference it there axle to bumper this bed and normal?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/22 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very cool truck and bit of knowledge! Thanks for sharing!
I knew about the old camper specials. GM may have made one as well, with a 9’ bed and longer wheelbase? 67-72 style?
But never heard of the super camper special.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

notsobigjoe

southeast

Senior Member

Joined: 09/15/2016

View Profile



Posted: 03/02/22 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

mellow wrote:

I wish they would go back to the spare tire embedded into the side of the bed like that instead of underneath.


I like that feature, but most would not like the rear axle set back far enough to do it.
Most pickups, the bed is pretty much centered over the rear axle. This 1, with more of the bed ahead of axle, a load centered in the bed will put more of the load on front axle. That will let you have a higher GVW without exceeding limit on rear.


I'm asking because I do not know. Is that a compartment for the spare? It looks like it's straight up and down and not flat. Does it come out of there like the PITA tires under the rear of modern pick ups? Impressive numbers though. [emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/22 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

notsobigjoe wrote:


I'm asking because I do not know. Is that a compartment for the spare? It looks like it's straight up and down and not flat. Does it come out of there like the PITA tires under the rear of modern pick ups? Impressive numbers though. [emoticon]


IIRC from ads at the time the spare was stored vertically, and accessed thru that removable panel.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/20/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/22 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh406 wrote:

As most of us know, the payload rating system is artificial with stock tires almost always the limiting factor.

Given the choice between a 45-50 year old camper special and fairly modern SRW, I’d take any leaf spring modern SRW. Almost every aspect of the new truck is better in spite of what the sticker might say.


Agreed, any modern 3500 SRW will be vastly superior in terms of ride, power and braking. The compartment for the spare tire is a cool, unique feature, but the only reason for it is the fact that the spare tire could not be placed in the conventional position- not enough space behind the rear axle for it.

specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 03/02/22 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Those trucks were made to carry a Ford brand camper that I believe was manufactured by Four Seasons.

[image]

That was the same company that produced these "factory" camper shells for Ford back in the '70s like the one here on my '79 F-250.

[image]

I didn't read every comment but the spare tire was carried vertically in a side compartment due to the real axle being moved further back to help with the heavy payload.

I worked with a guy named Steve Kersey back in 2009 while working at a Ford dealer in Salt Lake City.

He worked for Ford back in Detroit when they designed that F-350 and he was the one who came up with the design for the spare tire.

They gave him a brand new Ford LTD and a check for $7000.


Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.


specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 03/02/22 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Very cool truck and bit of knowledge! Thanks for sharing!
I knew about the old camper specials. GM may have made one as well, with a 9’ bed and longer wheelbase? 67-72 style?
But never heard of the super camper special.


[image]

they Chevy Longhorn.

specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 03/02/22 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh406 wrote:



Given the choice between a 45-50 year old camper special and fairly modern SRW, I’d take any leaf spring modern SRW. Almost every aspect of the new truck is better in spite of what the sticker might say.


True, but they didn't make today's modern trucks back in the '70s.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/22 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Very cool truck and bit of knowledge! Thanks for sharing!
I knew about the old camper specials. GM may have made one as well, with a 9’ bed and longer wheelbase? 67-72 style?
But never heard of the super camper special.


[image]

they Chevy Longhorn.


That bed extension has got to be more than a mere 6". . .


2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 03/02/22 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supercharged111 wrote:


That bed extension has got to be more than a mere 6". . .


8", but who's counting? LOL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > The only real SRW “One Ton” that isn’t really a 3/4 ton
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.