Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What's the Market Like out there for buying used?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What's the Market Like out there for buying used?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
RichAmy7/17

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/22 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just sold a very small TT so we can upgrade
We want a cash deal...man, is it expensive out there still? Question- the 2015 I am looking at is very clean.. but I need to see in person!!! It is under 30' Jayco Jay flight it is Murphy bed and bunks. Asking $14,500. I think its a little high but dealerships are even worse. It is exactly what I am looking for. Thoughts and experiences please!

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Book it out on NADA. Now, that doesn't mean the owner has to sell it to you for that price, but at least it will give you somewhat of a guide as to it's value.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Value" is subjective, books like NADA are only a "guide" but it is a "snapshot" in time of what the value was and that snapshot may be out of date with current events.

Today's market, everything costs more, heck be glad your not shopping for a used vehicle right now, the last report on used prices I heard was used autos are selling for well above 40% more than they did only a couple of yrs ago did.. New autos are flying off the dealer lots at MSRP and folks are buying them and flipping for much more than MSRP..

If you want a RV now and most likely the near future your most likely will pay paying much more than you would have a few yrs back.. This isn't going to get better for the short term.

And yes, to me $14.5K for a 5yr old TT does sound high, but then again, I am used to buying much older units for near scrap prices.. If you like it, make a reasonable offer below $14.5K that you feel comfortable with and see if they accept or counter, sometimes folks just throw out a number to see if it sticks.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you spend some time looking at many different units for sale and can somewhat intelligently compare them, imo you will not really know whether the particular camper you’re looking at now is fairly priced for the market.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RichAmy7/17 wrote:

We want a cash deal...man, is it expensive out there still? Question- the 2015 I am looking at is very clean.. but I need to see in person!!! It is under 30' Jayco Jay flight it is Murphy bed and bunks. Asking $14,500. I think its a little high but dealerships are even worse. It is exactly what I am looking for. Thoughts and experiences please!

If it's exactly what you want and fits your budget, do it. Waiting is a gamble.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/22 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been watching prices since last fall with hopes of buying something in the next couple months. Mostly I look at RV Trader but other places too. I've been seeing prices come down slightly. RV Trader will tell you if a seller has decreased their asking price and many of the RVs I've been looking at have had their prices come down.
I suspect higher interest rates and higher gas prices will keep prices coming down. Unfortunately neither of those factors will be going away any time soon.

frisco_dave

Frisco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/22 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just at the rv show last weekend in Dallas. Have a list of 10 or so 5th wheels we're interested in. Back in 2020, had also listed the prices. Updated my list after the rv show- prices on those same 5th wheels have gone up 40%-100% in the span of less than 2 years.

So- point is- while it may seem a tad high...everything is these days. The RV market is booming. So like others said- if you like it, and its in your budget, get it.

2011 KZ Coyote 232SS
2011 Expedition 3.73

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/22 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RichAmy7/17 wrote:

Since you just sold your old TT, you should have a very good idea what the market is like now.
Did it sell fast with little to no negotiating on the price?.... If so the reverse will be true now that you are a buyer.
I was last a buyer just as the Pandemic was getting under way. I got a VERY good deal as everyone was running scared during the shutdown. Then I sold my old TT after the runup in prices had occured, and got a VERY good price on a 10 year old TT.
Paying cash has advantages.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/22 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

RichAmy7/17 wrote:

Since you just sold your old TT, you should have a very good idea what the market is like now.
Did it sell fast with little to no negotiating on the price?.... If so the reverse will be true now that you are a buyer.
I was last a buyer just as the Pandemic was getting under way. I got a VERY good deal as everyone was running scared during the shutdown. Then I sold my old TT after the runup in prices had occured, and got a VERY good price on a 10 year old TT.
And just how did “Cash” change anything in the transactions you just described?

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/22 02:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

RichAmy7/17 wrote:

And just how did “Cash” change anything in the transactions you just described?

I always pay cash, and never need to trade in my old stuff. So I can buy and sell when it is most advantagous.
It takes a lot of the leverage out of the dealers hands and transfers it to me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What's the Market Like out there for buying used?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.