Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: No Power to 7-Way Plug?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> No Power to 7-Way Plug?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
stupendous_man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/22 11:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No Power to 7-Way Plug?

Hi all, electrical problem’s got me stumped. I’m no expert so I figured I’d ask some.

I have a 2000 Lance truck camper not receiving alternator power from my 2009 Silverado 3500. The truck has the heavy duty trailering package, so the plug is attached to the rear bumper. I went into the fuse box under the hood and attached the external power wire, adding a fuse.

As I understand, the truck-side 7-way plug has ground on the bottom left and 12V power on the top right. When I check these with a multimeter, I get 0V. I also have a bundle of wires in the middle of the truck for an additional 7-way.

The running lights, turn signals, and brakes all work with the rear 7-way plug. It appears the previous owner replaced and rewired the camper-side plug.

I don’t have a lot of experience with RV’s, so let me know if any of this needs clarification. What could be going wrong here?

Thanks!

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 12:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replace the 7 pin....and work your way back to the front..It could be something so simple like a ground wire.....keep at it. You will find the fail. 7 pin plugs go bad all the time..when did you use it last? How did you know you were not getting power to the RV?...I'm stummped here...External charging wire? WHY? SO...you have 2x 7 pin connectors? My truck does....but you say your using the rear plug on the rear bumber? This is confusing...if I try to help we all need more detailed info. The TC power is hooked up where? Do you have a battery switch? Connected to the fire wall? For a second plug?
When you have two seperate systems that supply power to an RV it is common that the rear bummper plug will be hot while the rig is running but like mine it is split... When you turn off the rig, the bateries are seperated from the RV. I have a 7 pin on the front interior of my truck bed. I have a 7 pin at the hitch. The wiring at the bed connection is beefed up from the factory because I made that tweek to help make the batteries get more power when we travel.. I hope this makes sence..I was running dual 36 Interstates with a 100 watt sollar. All I needed. I am not going to rule this out...but have your alt checked..It is the prosses of elimitation...keep working you will find it!!!

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 01:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you say, “adding a fuse”, did you add an inline fuse or did you populate the fuse in the fuse box that powers up stud #1? Did you make sure there is power where you connected the wire?

stupendous_man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 01:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

Replace the 7 pin....and work your way back to the front..It could be something so simple like a ground wire.....keep at it. You will find the fail. 7 pin plugs go bad all the time..when did you use it last? How did you know you were not getting power to the RV?...I'm stummped here...External charging wire? WHY? SO...you have 2x 7 pin connectors? My truck does....but you say your using the rear plug on the rear bumber? This is confusing...if I try to help we all need more detailed info. The TC power is hooked up where? Do you have a battery switch? Connected to the fire wall? For a second plug?
When you have two seperate systems that supply power to an RV it is common that the rear bummper plug will be hot while the rig is running but like mine it is split... When you turn off the rig, the bateries are seperated from the RV. I have a 7 pin on the front interior of my truck bed. I have a 7 pin at the hitch. The wiring at the bed connection is beefed up from the factory because I made that tweek to help make the batteries get more power when we travel.. I hope this makes sence..I was running dual 36 Interstates with a 100 watt sollar. All I needed. I am not going to rule this out...but have your alt checked..It is the prosses of elimitation...keep working you will find it!!!

Really appreciate you taking the time to make a detailed reply!

Should I replace the 7 pin on the truck-side or the camper-side?I bought the camper used, so I haven’t gotten the alternator to power the 7-way at all, but I used the running lights today.

I know I’m not getting alternator power to the RV because when I check across the battery terminals with a multimeter, the voltage doesn’t change after turning the truck on.

The external wire was something that had me really confused too, but after asking on here it’s apparently a small wire that allows power to run from the truck to the 7-way, but for some reason it’s not connected or fused by Chevy out of the factory, so you have to do it yourself.

There sort of is two 7-way connectors, the truck has one in the rear bumper (which I’m using) fully wired up that came with trailer package, but there’s also a bundle of wires under the middle of the truck that you can connect another 7-way to. I had no idea about that one, but I was following the rear bumper connector wires to look if it was broken anywhere and happened to see a wire bundle.

By battery switch do you mean the disconnect switch for the camper? I have one of those, but I think there’s also some kind of switch that disconnects the camper from the truck batteries.

What is a fire wall? Sorry, I’m still learning all the terminology.

It sounds like with two connectors, one is only hot when the truck is on, but the beefed up one is always on? Funny you mention solar because I was just thinking I should just get solar and forget troubleshooting the 7-way! It’s been three weeks of repairs and maintenance with the camper and morale was getting low, so thanks a lot for the encouragement, I really need it!!

* This post was edited 03/03/22 02:10am by stupendous_man *

stupendous_man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 02:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

When you say, “adding a fuse”, did you add an inline fuse or did you populate the fuse in the fuse box that powers up stud #1? Did you make sure there is power where you connected the wire?

Thanks for the reply! I populated the fuse in the fuse box to power stud #1, but I didn’t check if there was power to the wire. I’m not sure how to do that, but I did check the fuse with the multimeter and it was good. To check the power on the wire, would I take a voltage reading using the multimeter with the black probe on the truck frame and the red probe on the power wire stud while the truck is on??

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 02:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stupendous_man wrote:

wnjj wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I populated the fuse in the fuse box to power stud #1, but I didn’t check if there was power to the wire. I’m not sure how to do that, but I did check the fuse with the multimeter and it was good. To check the power on the wire, would I take a voltage reading with the multimeter with the black probe on the truck frame and the red probe on the power wire while the truck is on??

Yes, but you don’t even need the truck on as stud #1 is on full time. You can also put the black probe on the negative battery post if it’s nearby (or use a piece of wire to get there).

I installed an automatic isolator (solid state) between the stud and the wire. Before that I would pull the fuse in camp so I didn’t run the truck down. You can unplug at the rear bumper easy enough. My truck also has an in-bed plug connected to the harness you mentioned that is stowed behind the cab. Both 7-way plugs are connected to the same place.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 02:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stupendous_man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 02:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

stupendous_man wrote:

wnjj wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I populated the fuse in the fuse box to power stud #1, but I didn’t check if there was power to the wire. I’m not sure how to do that, but I did check the fuse with the multimeter and it was good. To check the power on the wire, would I take a voltage reading with the multimeter with the black probe on the truck frame and the red probe on the power wire while the truck is on??

Yes, but you don’t even need the truck on as stud #1 is on full time. I installed an automatic isolator (solid state) between the stud and the wire. Before that I would pull the fuse in camp so I didn’t run the truck down. You can unplug at the rear bumper easy enough. My truck also has an in-bed plug connected to the harness you mentioned that is stowed behind the cab. Both 7-way plugs are connected to the same place.

Ok! I’ll try testing the power wire tomorrow morning and report back (probably the late morning because it’s already past 1am). That’s a slick method with the isolator. I like your budget option too, perfect for a ski bum like me. Good night!

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/22 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree about replacing the seven pin but start with the trailer's. Has always solved all my issues.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

stupendous_man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I FIXED IT!! Turns out because the previous owner had a rear bumper plug and a side plug, there were separate power wires to stud #1 on the underhood fusebox. When testing power to the stud, I happened to be perfectly positioned to see the other power wire, and when I connected it, the battery started getting charged!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> No Power to 7-Way Plug?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.