Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Cooper AT3 XLT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Cooper AT3 XLT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/05/22 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

Nitto Dura Grappler worked well for me in the past, but the rating was /is less than the Terra Grappler G2
When I need to replace the truck tires - I've been looking so far at Michillen Defender LTX 295/65R20 at #4080 pound OR the Nitto Tera Grappler 2 295/65R20 with their 4080 pound rating


I took a look at that Terra Grappler G2 , Its a toss up between the two that ,and the Cooper AT3 XLT ,both the same price for my tire size . The G2 slightly better rating at 65K , Cooper 60K. I buy most of my tires locally from the same shop for a number of years . Going to talk to them about the two . They shouldn't have any dog in this hunt ,both the same priced tire .


I saw the 65~VS~ 60 mile rating and that didn't concern me all that much..My ONLY concern was the last set of Nitto G2's gave me some tread sway that I had never had before....But then again, I always used the regular Terra Grappler, that was 1st set of G2's

BUT...I did see that the AT3 XLT carries a load index of 126 = [email protected] ~ vs ~ the other 2 at 4080#... If that matters

* This post was edited 03/05/22 05:19am by ford truck guy *


Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet


hondapro

Central Pa

Full Member

Joined: 08/31/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/05/22 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the Falken wildpeaks A/T3W tires they are great tires. I had Coopers on my last truck and was not happy with them


Steve
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/05/22 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Load Range E AT3 Coopers on both trucks. I felt they were really good in the snow on my 1500. My dually being a dually, I try to keep it out of the snow. All were made in the US of A and all I heard about them before purchase is what you're hearing in here.


2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/05/22 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

Nitto Dura Grappler worked well for me in the past, but the rating was /is less than the Terra Grappler G2
When I need to replace the truck tires - I've been looking so far at Michillen Defender LTX 295/65R20 at #4080 pound OR the Nitto Tera Grappler 2 295/65R20 with their 4080 pound rating


I took a look at that Terra Grappler G2 , Its a toss up between the two that ,and the Cooper AT3 XLT ,both the same price for my tire size . The G2 slightly better rating at 65K , Cooper 60K. I buy most of my tires locally from the same shop for a number of years . Going to talk to them about the two . They shouldn't have any dog in this hunt ,both the same priced tire .


I saw the 65~VS~ 60 mile rating and that didn't concern me all that much..My ONLY concern was the last set of Nitto G2's gave me some tread sway that I had never had before....But then again, I always used the regular Terra Grappler, that was 1st set of G2's

BUT...I did see that the AT3 XLT carries a load index of 126 = [email protected] ~ vs ~ the other 2 at 4080#... If that matters



I was mistaken on the Nitto G2's they are only a 50K tread warranty on the LT's Cooper was 60K Both brands in my tire size LT 275/70/18 are rated for 3638 or 3640 @ 80 psi. depending on which website you look .

Tread sway is a bit concerning considering towing fifth wheels . I can't say of all the brands I have towed with that I could claim much difference or sway, other things like road noise ,or picking up rocks were noticeable.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/05/22 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hondapro wrote:

Look at the Falken wildpeaks A/T3W tires they are great tires. I had Coopers on my last truck and was not happy with them


What was the not happy with them. ? It seems no matter what tire , they don't seem to make everyone happy ,some loved them ,some hated them .

What I found that really surprised me is the Firestone Transforce ,they came OE on my truck, other then they were shot at 28K they were okay . Most that had them experienced the same results . But I have read when the Transforce is brought up how crappy they are ,some just love them, and wouldn't have anything else .

So I am always curious when I hear not happy . I can say that to some extend my present tires the Toyo's AT2's as expensive as they are , not overly happy with them . I thought maybe I would see a bit better mileage out of them . Other then that they were quiet ,handled well ,and never got out of balance . But my truck went thru the OE's pretty quick, Toyo's did better then that, they are my second set on this truck. If the next set do better or the same as the Toyo's then I know that's what I will have to live with .

ksss

Eastern Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/05/22 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The TOYO AT3 is a lot better tire than the AT2 in my opinion. Excellent on ice and decent in deeper snow. I have about 20K on a 3500 DRW. They seem to be wearing OK so far, even with spending most of its time loaded down.


2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/05/22 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2c.
GY Duratracs, great traction rain snow mud. Decent treadlife. Worst noise short of Boggers or Swampers. And they are hard to keep wearing even from a tread feathering standpoint.
Recent example 28k on my Trailboss. Tires are well under half worn. Have rotated them twice and due for a third time. I think the particular shape of the tread blocks is just not conducive to smooth west on steer tires.
AT3s good all around does everything well but not superior in any category. And very quiet.
Toyo AT2/3 great tires. Probably my favorite for a not too aggressive AT. Basically the same as a Cooper AT3 but little better foul weather traction.
Terra Grap G2, best bang for the buck in a fairly aggressive AT. (Of the tires I’ve run). Slightly louder than the coopers or toyos. And much cheaper than toyos. At least a couple years ago they were.

The most useless tires on the road, IMO, except for aggressive looks and long wearing, are Nitto Ridge Grapplers and Toyo RTs. Target market is brodozers IMO.
Our brodozer came with almost new RTs. They are wearing great both treadlife and wearing smooth. Not too loud. But no better than a pavement pounder tread in snow.
So not useless I suppose. Just not for me. May be one of my top picks if I didn’t drive in snow or rain often. The tread designs on those tires are also bad at ejecting water. They hydroplane quicker than most tires. It’s evident they’d be bad at controlling water just looking at the treads.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/05/22 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive a lot of miles typically and a lot of different trucks and different tires. More than the average weekend warrior RVer. And lots of different conditions. From AZ in the summer to AK in the winter and most all conditions in between. So this is what I’ve seen with truck tires.

TurnThePage

North ID

Senior Member

Joined: 10/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/05/22 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried a set of AT3 XLTs several years ago. I couldn't get them to balance even after swapping out two of them. I ended up with Nitto Terra Grapplers. Now I'm going to try the Coopers again as the Nittos simply have no grip for my application.

I later learned that the vendor I used may have had unreliable tire balancing equipment.


2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/05/22 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

My 2c.
GY Duratracs, great traction rain snow mud. Decent treadlife. Worst noise short of Boggers or Swampers. And they are hard to keep wearing even from a tread feathering standpoint.
Recent example 28k on my Trailboss. Tires are well under half worn. Have rotated them twice and due for a third time. I think the particular shape of the tread blocks is just not conducive to smooth west on steer tires.
AT3s good all around does everything well but not superior in any category. And very quiet.
Toyo AT2/3 great tires. Probably my favorite for a not too aggressive AT. Basically the same as a Cooper AT3 but little better foul weather traction.
Terra Grap G2, best bang for the buck in a fairly aggressive AT. (Of the tires I’ve run). Slightly louder than the coopers or toyos. And much cheaper than toyos. At least a couple years ago they were.

The most useless tires on the road, IMO, except for aggressive looks and long wearing, are Nitto Ridge Grapplers and Toyo RTs. Target market is brodozers IMO.
Our brodozer came with almost new RTs. They are wearing great both treadlife and wearing smooth. Not too loud. But no better than a pavement pounder tread in snow.
So not useless I suppose. Just not for me. May be one of my top picks if I didn’t drive in snow or rain often. The tread designs on those tires are also bad at ejecting water. They hydroplane quicker than most tires. It’s evident they’d be bad at controlling water just looking at the treads.


Thanks for the review . I bought the Toyo's because a friend had them on his truck, and they were quiet running , and he didn't have any thing bad to say about them

I see you mention how noisy or quiet some of these brands are . Whats your take on the Cooper AT3 XLT's compared to the Toyo AT2's ,the ones I have as far as road noise ? As said I before ,other then I THOUGHT I would get a few more miles on them then I did, but not that disappointed as far as the overall performance . I mostly concerned with a decent tire ,that does not sound like an airplane coming in for landing [emoticon] I ran enough of those old pizza cutters ,and the old Armstrong Tru-tracks back in the day to know I don't want to listen to a tire like that anymore . That and the Armstrongs took a mile or two to get round again in cold weather .[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Cooper AT3 XLT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.