cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

brake controller install.

jy
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a 2017 winnebago 31g on an E450 ford chassis.I need to install an electric brake controller.Before I crawl around looking for the factory plug I thought I would ask you guys.I read where its under the dash to the left of the steering column,and I read its behind the dash next to the battery boost switch.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.
5 REPLIES 5

jy
Explorer
Explorer
I watched the u tube video but on my winnebago that panel/coin tray is not there.Winnie installed a metal panel there with the emergency start battery jump switch.I removed the panel and looked all over and cant find the connector for the brake controller.I will try pulling that panel again and the inside engine cover and look again.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Youtube is your friend on this one. just click on the picture.

Youtube Video

That's the same brake controller I have, and the same harness. And the factory harness was in the same place. The only difference is that a couple of the wires in the Tekonsha harness didn't match the Ford harness in my 2020, so I had to move them to the correct positions in the connector. I don't remember exactly which ones they were, but I remember it blew the fuse immediately when I plugged it in.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
On the 2009 F-150, it was a dummy punch out on the dash to the right of the steering column. The wiring harness was factory installed, front to back, but it required some relay up front, the actual Ford control panel, and a connector at the rea. I had a dealer finish the hookups and install the Ford brake controller. Oddly enough, for a trailer we never towed. Too much hassle. Sold it. Then gave the truck to a family member, who needed a tow vehicle.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Youtube is your friend on this one. just click on the picture.

Youtube Video
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
Ours on the e450 was on the right side above the knee guard. Some models of controller you can get a harness. We have the primus iq from tekonsha (sic). It was a plug and play. Some models of ford trucks have them built in and they are where the change holder is .
Marty