cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Regulator Issues

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
I may or may not have a faulty propane regulator on my 2016 TT. I bought the TT new, and have taken several months-long trips over the last six years. We took a long trip last fall, and when I was checking things out preparing for the trip the propane regulator seemed to be acting up. When I filled the propane tanks the problems (refrigerator wouldn't stay lit, stove burner performance was erratic) stopped, and we had no trouble during our month-long journey. 

I'm now getting ready for another long trip, and am having similar problems. Since my tanks were both almost empty, I had them filled, and the problems disappeared.

I'm planning to buy a new regulator so I'll have a spare in case the old one fails mid-trip. I have a few questions for anyone out there with more experience:

1. Had no trouble for the first five years of steady use, does it seem reasonable that I'm having trouble now? Do these things fail often?

2. When the tanks are full, the only problem is the stove burner has a lower flame if other things are using propane. Also, even without the WH or refr. on, using a second stove burner causes the flame level on the 1st one to be a little lower. Is that normal? Not a huge problem, but according to what I've read, the regulator should prevent this. Is it more evidence the regulator is failing? 

3. In shopping for a new regulator, they range in price from $38 to $70-80 to $100-120. Of course, I'm attracted to the cheap ones, but would like some advice as to whether that could be a mistake.

What say you all?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot wrote:
I have Marshall MEGR-253. Red-green window is poorly visible but this is Ok. What is not Ok is that when one cylinder is empty, I have to go and flip the lever over to the other cylinder, manually. It never flipped over by itself.

I don't have the Marshall, but mine doesn't flip the lever over itself either. If it did, the indicator would go back to green and you would not know that the first propane cylinder was empty. Mine does start drawing propane from the other cylinder so the propane appliances continue to function, but I still have to flip the lever myself.

If what you are actually saying is that yours does not start drawing from the second tank until AFTER you flip the lever, then you have a defective regulator.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have Marshall MEGR-253. Red-green window is poorly visible but this is Ok. What is not Ok is that when one cylinder is empty, I have to go and flip the lever over to the other cylinder, manually. It never flipped over by itself.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
My MEGR-253 regulator has failed but I can't find a replacement (except at 3X normal price).
That is the one that came with my trailer. Hard to read and leaked for years before I noticed. Cavagna replacement is far better IMO.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My MEGR-253 regulator has failed but I can't find a replacement (except at 3X normal price).

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the pressure is fluctuating but you wonโ€™t know for sure until you put a gauge on the system. You will also see if any of the flow devices are closing. I have several analog water column gauges but I still prefer to use a piece of clear Plastic tubing, at least 3/8โ€ ID, and make my own water manometerโ€ฆ The gold standard for accuracy.
I use a 25-year-old Marshall regulator and I move it from RV to RV, because itโ€™s such a high quality.
The newer ones are built super cheap so I wouldnโ€™t try to scimpon one of them.
I set the regulator to 11 inches at no load and I like to see at least 9โ€ when everything is at high fire. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I prefer the Cavagna brand regulator. Same for the new pigtails if you can find them. Six years is not too soon to just replace.

https://www.amazon.com/Cavagna-890-0006C-Auto-Changeover-Regulator/dp/B00HTN3HRY/ref=asc_df_B00HTN3H...

Large easy to read and the dial does not creep into position like others and leave a person wondering if the cylinder is ready for fill. Snaps to red immediately when ready.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Couple of things to check before you dump money into a new regulator and find that it doesn't fix the problem.

Since most of your issues have been when tanks are near empty, temperature can play a role. Propane is stored under pressure as a liquid in your cylinder, your appliances however are designed to use propane vapors. Cold temps affect how quick the liquid can convert to vapor and when cylinders are near empty can make the process even slower. If both cylinders are low or out of propane there just may not be enough propane to work correctly especially in cold temperatures.

Your cylinders also have a excess flow shut off built into the valve..

Opening the cylinder valves quickly can trigger the excess flow valve to trip, when tripped you will still get some propane flow but not as much as there should be. Ensure you open the valves very slow. If you trigger the excess flow valve, to reset close the cylinder valve wait a few minutes and try again.

Tripping the cylinder excess flow valve is common and easy to do by accident.

Newer RVs also include special flow limiting "pigtails" which connect to your cylinders as a last defense in case the propane lines were to break or fail. Not sure if those autoreset if tripped..

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Unattract yourself to the cheap ones! Get a Marshall branded one and be done with it. You're probably getting oil into the regulator from the propane. After installing the new regulator, check to see you're getting 11.5 inches of water pressure.