cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GRK fasteners for camper jack bracket re-install

Dr_J_the_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
Unable to find any threads on this topic. Has anybody used GRK fasteners when re-installing jack brackets?

I just purchased a camper and have to replace a bent bracket (previous owner). I recently had a home built and the contractor used GRK fasteners (engineered) for some structural wood applications. Heavy thread, good coatings, high shear strength, no pilot hole needed. Other than color (bronze-like), they would appear to be a good alternative to the typical lag screws.

Newby truck camper owner here. Any input welcomed. Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
"Only thing stronger might be a through bolt with a backing plate."

Absolutely the best solution, IF you could do it. Then you can use a threaded bolt, nut, and washers and don't really count on the wood construction but rather, the strength of the bolt and nut.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Uber Grade! Have used GRK on other projects and they do appear to be a superior product. Only thing stronger might be a through bolt with a backing plate.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Shear will always have a monstrous factor of safety in this particular application. You could use 3 16D nails at each corner and get more than enough shear strength.
Pullout, and more specifically, how to get the most pullout strength from the substrates youโ€™re attaching to in a lightly built wood box is far and away the most important.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dr_J_the_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response, gentlemen. Most appreciated. While I can't change the framework (at least not without considerable work), I can upgrade the fasteners. These GRK exceed the specs of typical lag screws, have an aggressive thread (good bite), are very unlikely to rust AND they are torque head. These fasteners were an engineering requirement for certain parts of our house build due to superior shear strength. I just may go with these for the jack brackets. Thanks again.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
BobsYourUncle wrote:
GRK's are great for super holding power in home renovation and construction.
But in order to be effective they need something very solid to fasten into. You won't find that in a 2X2 spruce camper framework...

Not sure that really answers/helps the OP out. Whether he uses a generic lag bolt or the asked about GRK fasteners, he's screwing them into the same wood. His question centers around whether they are comparable; fastener to fastener.

I'm no engineer.. the shear qualities are available online. But in a nut shell, I'm pretty sure they are adequate. I think they have more shear and a bit less pull out power. Which I think would be just fine.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

GRK's are great for super holding power in home renovation and construction.
But in order to be effective they need something very solid to fasten into. You won't find that in a 2X2 spruce camper framework...
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Dr_J_the_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks and you are correct, Larry...GRK fasteners are available at most hardware and building stores. The question is whether anyone has had experience using these for jack bracket installation. From what I can see...they would be superior to regular hex/pan head SS/Galv screws. Certainly are more robust.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
GRK Fasteners

Available at Lowes and other stores
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog