cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WY to AZ route and stops

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Traveling peeps, looking for advice for travel, stays, etc. Plan has me arriving in Cody WY 10/4 and leaving 10/8. Is that too late to wander over to yellowstone for a few days too?
I'd also like to see grand canyon, and from there wander down to AZ. In AZ, looking to spend some time in quartsitz, havasu, and near pheonix. We're hoping to get into one campground near pheonix for the winter. If we don't get into that specific campground, will wander back to tampa for the winter.
Side note: my travel has always been about the destination, trying to make this about the journey ๐Ÿ™‚
8 REPLIES 8

rvdivers
Explorer
Explorer
We just left Cody, WY and did a day trip (from Cody) up to the eastern entrance of Yellowstone. Fall colors have already arrived up there and it is beautiful. We were surprised how many tourists were up there. Many of the places to eat were already shut down so take food with you. Cody has some great restaurants (a great BBQ place). There was a light dusting of snow on the upper mountains inside Yellowstone (up by Tower Junction). If they close down the entrance roads due to snow they have flashing yellow signs on Hwy 20 going west that will alert you. When we left Cody we headed south down through Thermopolis (a neat little town). If you take that route south you will travel through the Wind River Canyon which is absolutely beautiful. Lander is a lovely town too! Thru Riverton and Rock Springs following Hwy 191 into Utah (Flaming Gorge) where again the Fall colors are spectacular (already). Wyoming is a beautiful state! Congratulations on your retirement. Relax & Enjoy. Good luck in Phoenix and welcome to the snow bird time of your life ๐Ÿ˜‰ Quartzite is a kick in the pants. Cattail Cove at Lake Havasu (a state park) is great. Oh, and the Grand Canyon - northern entrance may be closed by the time you reach there - but southern entrance is typically open. It's beautiful there when it snows but no fun to drive in. Hope you find your special place in Phoenix. They have a plethora of rv parks! And if you have difficulty right IN Phoenix area search some of the outlying areas - say out by Wickenburg. Travel safe! Enjoy!! Like others have said, Wyoming can get a snow storm early. I've seen it snow in August!
Steve'n'Kris

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've driven Sylvan Pass a dozen times or so (the road between Cody and Fishing Bridge), and you'll see snow & ice up there in July and August.

October 10th is when the majority of facilities are shut down, and some start in mid-September. It might be a risk, but it's worth visiting the park when the tourists are gone.

Just be observant of the weather forecasts. It's an awfully long drive back to Cody if you happen to get snowed out, and that entrance isn't open year round.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Stay off the Interstates and spend more time on US and primary state highways. Reduce your travel time. Leave campground 9-10 in morning and start looking by 2. We use many gravel pit and federal campgrounds.
Are you old enough for the senior America The beautiful pass? saves many dollars to spend on local sites and local cuisine.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go to YNP better enter on the south side that late.
I saw some news for 2022:
Fishing Bridge is open but does not accept Access/Old age cards
There are two reservation systems, some park facilities are on the usual res.gov site but others on Yellowstone lodges system. Fishing bridge for one.
All campgrounds are no reservation only

The usual scenic route would be up HWY 191 IIRC tho it isn't all that scenic thru WY, mostly open rolling dry land.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm retiring in August, so lots and lots of time. My work keeps me running at 190 mph with my hair on fire, and it's my wife's biggest concern with me. We have driven as much as 11 hours to get to a destination. I'm keeping this huge North America circle to generally under 300 miles travel day.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not too late to visit Yellowstone. Good time to see and hear elk buggling!Calendar

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dedmiston
If you don't get the responses you want, I can move this to "RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions" where people talk more about the destinations instead of this forum where the posts focus on the specific highways and interstates to get from Point A to Point B.

As for your question, how much time do you have for your trip? More time means more destinations.

My kids went to college in WY (UWYO) and winter can come really early there. I've seen snow in September there. And the wind is a constant all year round. We had a wind storm hit us in September and blow one of the windows out of our fiver's bedroom.

It's a gorgeous state though. Lots to see and do. You just have to be patient and flexible. Be ready to quickly change your plans when the weather changes.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
From our experience last year, Cody rolls up the sidewalks on 9/30. We got there a day or two after that, outrunning a blizzard from Gros Ventre Campground in Tetons and found one CG still in the process of shutting down. They let us stay overnight. There was 8 inches on snow on the roads in the park and the snowplows were active.
It looked like the State Park CG may have still been open as we drove past, the one to the west of Cody. Not sure tho.
We stayed the last four days of the season in Gros Ventre, they were closing down as we left.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper