cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happijac motors

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
So one of my motors went out on my Happijac. After being told that it would work with the old motors I got two. One for the replacement and one to have on hand. It works well. It is quieter than the other jacks and I think it faster than the older ones. I was just finishing up putting the camper on the truck when I looked up and realized that I would not be able to flip in the dually bracket because of the height of the motor. The things you forget to ask or course they don't make the other ones any more so I will use it. I will move the back motors to the front and use the new ones on the back. That being said any ideas for making the motor work with my lower overhang. It needs about 4 inches more clearance between the top of the motor and the camper overhang. If I drop the jack down it will be more of a hazard. Driving with the jack open on the driver's side I do a lot but on the passenger side makes for a lot more blind spots.
23 REPLIES 23

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer

Here’s my 2008 bracket. New bracket has more bracing and jack mounts slightly lower
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer

Here’s a picture of Bigfoot’s front brackets for the new motor
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Makito
I appreciate the update. Sounds like there are a couple of options. Nice to be able to use the old board with both motor styles
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E

makito
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the new motors yesterday on the Bigfoot. Two new motors in the rear and two old ones in the front and all running perfectly fine off of the original control board. I didn't test fit the new motors in the front but based on the physical measurements I believe they would just fit.
2020 GMC Sierra HD 3500 Double Cab
2004 Bigfoot 25C-10.6E
Airlift airbags - Torklift Fastguns and tiedowns

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Beagle
I’ll measure when it’s back on the truck. We’re camping with it off the truck for the next couple of weeks
Should be close but I might drill if I have to but it is only when folded in. Good to know about the board. Always careful at end of travel too. I could move the rear motors to the front as long as I can run new and old together on the board
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E

Bedlam
What about putting the new motors on the rear if they don't clear the front? You still have three good old ones that could serve the front jacks.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootgrey wrote:
HMS Beagle wrote:
bigfootgrey wrote:
I also spoke with Bigfoot Industries regarding the clearance issue for the new jack motors and they had to alter the jack mount to the swing out brackets to achieve clearance. This lowered the jack height to the road a few inches. Happijac says the new style motors are 8” above the top of the jack

I have a Bigfoot 10.4, 2008, same as you. I recently replaced the jacks with 4800, and at the time measured the motor clearance thinking I might need new motors. As I recall, I decided they would fit. My old motors still worked so I didn't change them. I'll measure them again but pretty sure you don't have an issue.

I replaced my front jacks with4800’s. The rear jacks are original 4150’s from 2008. If the clearance is ok for the fronts to swing in under the cab over that would be great. Does the control board need to be changed? Mine is original,with the cord.

OK, I just measured it again. I have 8 1/2" from the top of the jack tube to the camper overhang. From the PantherRV website (where I bought the 4800 jacks):

"Will not work with every camper
Requires 8-1/2" of clearance from the top bolt to the top of the motor. Some cab overs don't allow for the clearance necessary to install the motor on the front jacks. Please measure carefully before ordering."

The top bolt is the one fixing the motor to the jack. From that bolt, I have 9 1/8. It is the same both sides. From that description I'd say I have enough. What you posted shows 9 1/8 for that measurement, not 8 1/2". If that description is correct it would just touch. You might be able to drill new holes on the dually bracket, probably need to be 3/4 down to have clearance betwen the two 3/8 hole sets. It might be fine just touching - this is in the folded and unloaded position after all.

The board doesn't really care, it just puts out a reversing current. From the descriptions of everything, the 4800 jacks with the new motors might draw more current at the limit, and might blow fuses in the old board (15A vs 20). The old motors have a ball clutch in them which slips in the event of overload. Apparently the new ones don't, and rely on a current sense scheme in the board to prevent overload. This would not bother me, I'd just be careful at the ends of travel - I am anyway. The 4800 jacks may require a little more current than the 4150 as they are Acme rather than ball screw. But they seem to run just about as fast as the 4150 that I took off. The load rating on the 4800/new motor is quite high, and a 10.4 doesn't push that limit at all.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer

This is what e trailer shows for clearance measurement.
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
bigfootgrey wrote:
I also spoke with Bigfoot Industries regarding the clearance issue for the new jack motors and they had to alter the jack mount to the swing out brackets to achieve clearance. This lowered the jack height to the road a few inches. Happijac says the new style motors are 8” above the top of the jack

I have a Bigfoot 10.4, 2008, same as you. I recently replaced the jacks with 4800, and at the time measured the motor clearance thinking I might need new motors. As I recall, I decided they would fit. My old motors still worked so I didn't change them. I'll measure them again but pretty sure you don't have an issue.

I replaced my front jacks with4800’s. The rear jacks are original 4150’s from 2008. If the clearance is ok for the fronts to swing in under the cab over that would be great. Does the control board need to be changed? Mine is original,with the cord.
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
I may not be understanding but why do you need 4" clearance above the motor to the overhang? wouldn't 1" clearance be more than enough?

Steve

He has 4" of INTERFERENCE, as in, the top 4" of the motor hits the cab overhang. I'm sure any clearance at all would be welcome at this point.

ok I must have read that wrong...
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootgrey wrote:

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
StirCrazy wrote:
I may not be understanding but why do you need 4" clearance above the motor to the overhang? wouldn't 1" clearance be more than enough?

Steve

He has 4" of INTERFERENCE, as in, the top 4" of the motor hits the cab overhang. I'm sure any clearance at all would be welcome at this point.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Why reintroduce the older style a quite capable motor when the alternative is to make life difficult and sell new jacks?? As with mostly non-existent tech-support, leaving customers stranded (for fast bucks $$) is ubiquitous cultural SOP by most OEM manufacturers…

3 tons