Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Locking gas cap
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Locking gas cap

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/22 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While working under our previous motorhome I noticed a "boiler plug", basically a large self-taping screw with a neoprene washer, screwed into the bottom of the tank. Since the rest of tank was in good condition, I suspect the 75 gallon tank had been drilled to steal the fuel at some point before I bought it. Some years later that plug was useful though, when I needed to drain the tank and lower it for a fuel pump replacement.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My current 2020 Jeep Cherokee doesn't even have a gas cap. Not sure what you do to overcome that problem!

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

My current 2020 Jeep Cherokee doesn't even have a gas cap. Not sure what you do to overcome that problem!

HaHa my 2021 F-150 doesn't have a cap either. But, it's to hard to put a hose into the tank to get gas out.

In my area I'm more afraid of solen catalytic converters. The new truck is warrente and I'm afraid of modifying it to slow down the converter thieves.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

While working under our previous motorhome I noticed a "boiler plug", basically a large self-taping screw with a neoprene washer, screwed into the bottom of the tank. Since the rest of tank was in good condition, I suspect the 75 gallon tank had been drilled to steal the fuel at some point before I bought it. Some years later that plug was useful though, when I needed to drain the tank and lower it for a fuel pump replacement.

Well there’s a silver lining to the tweaker epidemic!
Maybe I should go drill my tanks in the right spots so they don’t screw it up? Nah, they’d drill right next to it.
With fuel prices, diesel will become more of a commodity for thieves. Til now, it was mostly just homeless addicts, who generally don’t drive diesels. We’ve had a lot of gas stolen. Diesel in a slip tank just turned into an environmental cleanup when the tweakers busted the lock off of that pump and then pumped a bunch on the ground. Probably hoping it would turn to gasoline at some point…

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Locking gas cap
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.