cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kill switch for Cummins

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Not only is there an epidemic of catalytic convertor thefts in my area; used pickups are also targets for thieves. An insurance payout would be far less than what my replacement cost would be, plus I really like my truck. I've considered an engine kill switch for my 04 Ram, but have no idea which wire I should loop to a hidden switch.

What are other members doing to add some anti-theft security to their aging trucks? Do steering wheel locks work? Would a thief equipped with the tools to steal a catalytic convertor be able to quickly defeat a steering wheel lock?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Truck thieves in my area (Silicone Valley) use the ODB ports to figure out what is wrong and then bypass. Others who don't know this HOW2, destroy the vehicle trying old-fashioned theft metrics

Neighbor had his 2007 Duramx's steering column destroyed TWICE by amateur thieves.

Other neighbor had his 350HD's (forget...maybe a 450HD) door lock & dash torn up by amateur thieves (this guy is an electrician and had kill switches...yes more than one...they saved his vehicle from being stolen, but the damage was significant). His gigantic Lance was in bed at that time.

The why am noodling a highly visible tire/wheel boot...as are they now
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
As long as snatch trucks and flatbeds exist the threat still exists. All we can do is minimize the chances.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to put a extra line on the family plan, hide a phone (hooked to charger) in your ride. Then could use find your family app to tell cops where it is at.
Of course, that assumes cops would act.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as snatch trucks and flatbeds exist the threat still exists. All we can do is minimize the chances.
Puma 30RKSS

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
On my previous '01 2500 Dodge/Cummins the truck dealer added wiring that required I turn the cruse control on and hold in on the cruse button while starting. If that scenario wasn't followed no juice to the starter and the trucks horn would honk.
Thieves don't like a horn blowing when their stealing a vehicle.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I checked with my insurance company. I can itemize my add-ons so I can be reimbursed for a loss. Of course, an additional premium is involved. I'll put together the list and see what it costs.

I do have a chipped key and will install a kill switch on the clutch lockout line. Then, be vigilant. Maybe, with the high price of diesel, a thief won't want the thing.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ravelco.com

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
thomasmnile wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
Talk to your insurance agent about "Full Replacement Value". You can get that on your policy and it shouldn't cost much more.

Unlikely on a 2004 vehicle. GEICO offers a full replacement cost rider for vehicles that are 0-5 years old.

Yeah, that doesn't exist unless you get an appraised value type policy for a classic vehicle, afaik. Not applicable to daily drivers.

Whole lot of speculation in this thread about insurance.
Also, OP is looking for advice on a kill switch, which has been given and not too difficult or expensive.
Other option, security system.
None of these will likely stop a pro from getting it.

But "not getting what it's worth from insurance" is an age old battle.
It's you vs a for profit corporation.
That said, one's idea of what it's "worth" has to be within reason of what the market value is. We're not talking rare antique artifacts here. Just everyday run of the mill vehicles.
One has some risk that they will lose "modifications" if not able to retrieve them (like in the case of a theft), but by the same token, market value is market value.
How much do you want to pay to insure something that is worth more "to you" (insert emotional response here) than to the general public.
If the market demands $20k for a comparable truck, you'll get that much or close to it, if you stick to your guns.

And if you're THAT worried about it getting stolen, do something about it. (Like the OP is planning to do)

I'm glad and fortunate that the theft of any single vehicle or toy wouldn't place us in a financial bind, even if completely uninsured. And I understand those who have more of their eggs in baskets that are easily (relatively) stolen. But best you can do is try to make it less easy to steal or less attractive to steal and go on about your life!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Talk to your insurance agent about "Full Replacement Value". You can get that on your policy and it shouldn't cost much more.

Unlikely on a 2004 vehicle. GEICO offers a full replacement cost rider for vehicles that are 0-5 years old.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I once helped a friend theft proof his Jeep before going to Mexico. We put a kill switch in the wire to the fuel pump. We also put a relay in the start wire going to the starter solenoid. The relay was powered by the headlights high beam. So, he had to turn the high beams on and flip the kill switch to start it.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a long time I had a bunch of tools, compressors, welders on a old Ford truck. I had a relay in the starter cable controlled by a magnetic switch on dash. If a magnetic clip was not in the right place on the dash, starter would not run, and ignition would not get power.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BenK wrote:
On my list is a tire/wheel boot like the ones LEO's place on vehicles with too many tickets/etc

Less hassle than messing with electrical (harness, switch mounting, etc)

Let's not confuse our nation's LEOs with meter maids...mmmmkay?

Less hassle? Unless you consider installing and removing the boot on your vehicle, say 10x a day less hassle than flipping a switch, I'm having trouble getting on this train. Or do thieves only steal vehicles when they're parked somewhere for extended periods, like days at a time?

Add to it, a decent quality boot will cost far more than a simple cutoff switch.
Effectiveness? You may have me there. Visual deterrent vs catching a thief off guard when they think they already gotcha? Flip a coin I suppose.

@ScottG's idea may be the simplest, I didn't consider that the clutch safety switch would be in place and jumpered on an auto truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
On my list is a tire/wheel boot like the ones LEO's place on vehicles with too many tickets/etc

Less hassle than messing with electrical (harness, switch mounting, etc)

Heavy Duty Wheel Lock

Ultimate Parking Enforcement Wheel Boot
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have an 03. Do you have an automatic? If so then there is a small jumper wire where a clutch pedal switch would be on a manual. You can easily install a momentary button or switch in that wire so the starter wont engage.

You're right, from what I've heard, a nice specimen can go for nearly what we paid for them.