Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Interstate rest area stops
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

 > Interstate rest area stops

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 08/14/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/22 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it legal to camp overnight at a rest area connected to an interstate? Most likely in Kentucky along I 75.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

Senior Member

Joined: 03/08/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/07/22 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not CAMP but rest for 8 to 10 hours OK. However we like Walmart or some of the other free camping because they have less noise. Check out Free Camping


Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 08/14/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/22 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

Not CAMP but rest for 8 to 10 hours OK. However we like Walmart or some of the other free camping because they have less noise. Check out Free Camping


So, if I park for 8-10 hours, and leave the trailer hooked up to the truck, and am in the trailer, is that considered camping?

HappyKayakers

Somewhere in the USA

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2005

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 03/07/22 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're resting. Don't put your slides out, don't run a generator. Put jacks down if you want to take some weight off the truck, just don't forget to retract them in the morning. FWIW, I've never been able to rest more than about 6 hrs in a rest area.

swimmer_spe wrote:

TenOC wrote:

Not CAMP but rest for 8 to 10 hours OK. However we like Walmart or some of the other free camping because they have less noise. Check out Free Camping


So, if I park for 8-10 hours, and leave the trailer hooked up to the truck, and am in the trailer, is that considered camping?



Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch
Campground Tees

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/04/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/22 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like 4 hour max stay in Kentucky. But apparently not necessarily rigidly enforced.
.
Rest areas by state.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/07/22 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do it all the time......Get there about 10 pm, sleep until 6AM. Shower and head down the road. Yea. It's pretty noisy. You gotta look for rigs that do now have refers.

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

Moderator

Joined: 01/26/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/07/22 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

I do it all the time......Get there about 10 pm, sleep until 6AM. Shower and head down the road. Yea. It's pretty noisy. You gotta look for rigs that do now have refers.


I swear I'm not being sarcastic.

This definitely is not camping. It's "resting" in more comfort than the cars.


2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230


KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/07/22 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Technically, in VA, it's not even legal to sleep in a rest area. (Go figure.) I've known State Troopers who have woken up truck drivers and made them leave the rest area.
It varies by state. I used to be a truck driver and I've heard that KY is one of the states that really doesn't mind trucker's (and RVers I guess) sleeping their.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/07/22 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

Technically, in VA, it's not even legal to sleep in a rest area. (Go figure.) I've known State Troopers who have woken up truck drivers and made them leave the rest area.
It varies by state. I used to be a truck driver and I've heard that KY is one of the states that really doesn't mind trucker's (and RVers I guess) sleeping their.


I hope VA troopers aren't still ordering OTR truck drivers to violate the federal hours of service rules. Since the introduction of electronic logging, they have little choice on where they stop for the mandatory rest periods.


Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate


ItsyRV

Lost on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Senior Member

Joined: 10/02/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/07/22 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

KD4UPL wrote:

Technically, in VA, it's not even legal to sleep in a rest area. (Go figure.) I've known State Troopers who have woken up truck drivers and made them leave the rest area.
It varies by state. I used to be a truck driver and I've heard that KY is one of the states that really doesn't mind trucker's (and RVers I guess) sleeping their.


I hope VA troopers aren't still ordering OTR truck drivers to violate the federal hours of service rules. Since the introduction of electronic logging, they have little choice on where they stop for the mandatory rest periods.

In Virginia, the "No Overnight Camping" rule is to discourage RVers from taking up truck stalls overnight thus denying OTR truckers from being able to take breaks. For long term sleeping, OTR truckers need to be using truck stops in VA. Generally, OTR trucks are allowed 4 hours during the daylight and anywhere from 6-8 hours overnight. RVer's that don't advertise their camping (no generators, slides, awnings, BBQ's) can get away with a 6 hour stay overnight.


1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

 > Interstate rest area stops
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.