Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Towing trailer with car and Motorcycle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Class A Towing trailer with car and Motorcycle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
JCat

Big Apple, SoCal, Big D, everywhere USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/22 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone put a motorcycle lift in an enclosed trailer to tow behind your RV ?

Here's the deal.

I want to bring my corvette and my Harley with me when I travel.
I looked at a 24 foot enclosed trailer and the bike would have to go at an angle and would be too close to the vette.

A 26 foot would be perfect. But I can't find a reasonable priced one.

I looked at putting a lift on the RV by the trailer hitch and was quoted $10k, due to the way the frame on my Mandalay was built by the factory. So no go.

Now I am thinking I should get a 20 foot trailer, enclosed and put a lift in it so the bike could be up in the air about 3 feet, above the vette.

I'm not talking about a service lift. I have seen these garage lifts that with the right framing under them would support the weight.

Anyone done something like this ?

Thanks

* This post was edited 03/07/22 08:22pm by JCat *

JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a bigger trailer. Do you really want a heavy Harley hanging above a Corvette?

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you calculated your total length of the MH and the trailer? Could be too long for some states!
Have you thought of putting a "loft" in the trailer to haul bike on? Hood of the vette would nose under the bike "loft"/

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not exactly the same thing but I have a 30ft enclosed and can haul my 65 442 race car with the Smart car in front of it. I also have a 20ft open Featherlite and can put the Smart on there in front sideways and the car fits behind it. At the race track there are all types of stacker trailers with cars, golf carts, 2nd cars, street cars, etc up top. If you can afford a Vette, a class A, and a Harley you can afford a good trailer.

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great quote

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Not exactly the same thing but I have a 30ft enclosed and can haul my 65 442 race car with the Smart car in front of it. I also have a 20ft open Featherlite and can put the Smart on there in front sideways and the car fits behind it. At the race track there are all types of stacker trailers with cars, golf carts, 2nd cars, street cars, etc up top. If you can afford a Vette, a class A, and a Harley you can afford a good trailer.

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/22 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 26’ trailer behind a 40’ MH would be illegal in all but a handful of States, the vast majority have 65’ limits.

Also, since overall length is an “equipment regulation” not a drivers license privilege there is no reciprocity, if you are found to be in violation you are parked until you can solve the illegal situation.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that is a hoot right there! Over length? For several years I towed all over the country at about 75ft total. Here in NC we are allowed 90ft Went from 75 down to 70 then down to 66 where I am now. Over 100,000 trouble free miles. Many states have changed their length and frankly most just don't care about an RV.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/22 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Now that is a hoot right there! Over length? For several years I towed all over the country at about 75ft total. Here in NC we are allowed 90ft Went from 75 down to 70 then down to 66 where I am now. Over 100,000 trouble free miles. Many states have changed their length and frankly most just don't care about an RV.

Sammy Hagar and I think a lot alike, I can’t drive 55 either, or 65 or even 70.

I generally drive 100k to 150k miles a year, and other than in town, rarely go anywhere near the speed limit.

Up here if you’re only going 15 mph over the speed limit you’re being pushed off the road, at 20 to 30 mph over the limit you’re just keeping up with traffic.

It’s been that way for me for more than 40 years, I’m yet to get a ticket.

So you’re saying there’s no more speed limits and they couldn’t give me a ticket now?

Great, I’ll tell them you said so..LOL.

Blackdiamond

So. Cal

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/22 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a stacker trailer

03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/22 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JCat wrote:

Has anyone put a motorcycle lift in an enclosed trailer to tow behind your RV ?

Here's the deal.

I want to bring my corvette and my Harley with me when I travel.
I looked at a 24 foot enclosed trailer and the bike would have to go at an angle and would be too close to the vette.

A 26 foot would be perfect. But I can't find a reasonable priced one.

I looked at putting a lift on the RV by the trailer hitch and was quoted $10k, due to the way the frame on my Mandalay was built by the factory. So no go.

Now I am thinking I should get a 20 foot trailer, enclosed and put a lift in it so the bike could be up in the air about 3 feet, above the vette.

I'm not talking about a service lift. I have seen these garage lifts that with the right framing under them would support the weight.

Anyone done something like this ?

Thanks

Without looking up numbers, I would think that putting in the hardware to double stack a Vette and a Harley in a 20 foot trailer would cost far more than buying a 26 foot trailer.

But you could also look at it from another angle- You have a 40 foot diesel pusher and you want to take along a Vette and a Harley. You obviously want to roll big. If you want to roll big, you gotta pay. Figure out the best way to roll what you want to roll, and what it costs, it costs. If it costs too much, maybe you should scale back your roll a little. [emoticon] If it were me I would put the lift on the MH to haul the bike, and put the car in an 18' enclosed hauler if the Vette was either classic or brand new. In between, I'd go open flatbed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Class A Towing trailer with car and Motorcycle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.